The Unified Star Wars Thread

What have you been watching?

Re: The Unified Star Wars Thread

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Marcuse wrote:I did not like them casually dropping Chewie being 170 years old into the trailer like that. Seriously we know nothing about him except he's a fucking walking bear and suddenly he has all this backstory that we just don't need. I get the complaints about him from TLJ being that he had nothing to do, and it's better he's characterised rather than not, but I'm not actually massively interested in Chewie's home life really.

Also we know his backstory/home life already anyway

Spoiler: show

Sorry :P

why is your name not in red anymore Marc :?

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Chewie's 170 in the trailer? BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DROID ATTACK ON THE WOOKKIES?

for real though, didn't he look like a teen back in RotS?

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby SandTea » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Goddamnit! One hundred and Ninety years old! One, Nine, Zero. I only half watched that trailer and can remember they said 190. Fuck.

edit for proof-

Anyways, The trailer was fine but I doubt the flick will be anything worth watching. It did make me think a Chewie origin might be worth it though.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:24 pm

I didn't watch the trailer. I'm just repeating what Marc said.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Marcuse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:I didn't watch the trailer. I'm just repeating what Marc said.

There's a moment where Han says it to Chewie as like a "you're how old???" thing. I agree that he totally didn't look that old in RotS but then he's a space alien and doesn't afraid of anything so what do we know? I don't know if they're going to go somewhere with it, or if they're just filling in blanks we didn't need to know about to be like "ADDING TO THE LORE WOOOOO".

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 pm

I was being silly. Apologies if that came off as hostile. It was like the only thing I remembered about the trailer so I was saying that as a joke. As in, "you're 20 years off! You can't have an opinion now!" sorta thing. Like a mockumentary about hard fans in a post. It's hard to convey in just text. Perhaps I should have used the sarcasm font :lol:

But about the flick, It seems more fitted for like a CW teen drama show than an actual Han "mother fucking" Solo movie. A movie which doesn't need to exist in the first place. We already got his origins when he was introduced. All I ever needed to know of him was that he shoots first and looks damned good in carbonite.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Marcuse » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 am

I didn't think you were being hostile at all Sandtea. My reply was mostly directed to Lemon because he asked a question about how young Chewie looked in RotS and he's really right about that. I can only imagine they just went "oh well he's an alien so we can do anything and it'll just make sense because alien" because they wanted to add something to the character. But we don't, as you said, need to know more about Chewie. He run fast and shoot stormies and go rrrargh and that's all we ever knew or ever needed to know.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Doesn't need to exist? What movie needs to exist? The Force Awakens definitely didn't. A movie where we return to a huge, powerful Empire building a Death Star (I don't care what they called it, it's another Death Star) and a rebellion against it 20 years later, completely negating the whole victory in the Return of the Jedi - did that need to exist? Hell no.

I have said before that I didn't like the whole concept of making more Star Wars movies, and I especially don't like that there's one every year. Star Wars might become like James Bond movies or superhero comics, a story that is endless and thus can't really have stakes, because whatever happens, the series must go on, our heroes must return to fight evil again, nothing lasts.

But a prequel about Han doesn't bother me much. I always assumed he had many adventures before me met Luke and Leia, so let's show some of them - why not.

Last edited by Aquila89 on Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Doesn't need to exist? What movie needs to exist? The Force Awakens definitely didn't. A movie where we return to a huge, powerful Empire building a Death Star (I don't care what they called it, it's another Death Star) and a rebellion against it 20 years later, completely negating the whole victory in the Return of the Jedi - did that need to exist? Hell no.

I think you're misunderstanding the point I was trying to make. It's not that we don't need some Han Solo adventure, I'm ambivalent about that, what bothers me is that they're clearly trying to "add to the lore" by throwing in context we didn't need. They're doing this in a way that makes you see the OT in a different light and by doing so is trying to claim it's part of a contiguous world, when frankly it's not. Star Wars is a patchwork where most of it is made up as they go along (assuming that ep 1-6 were at least conceived of around the same time) and it's annoying to me that they're trying to go "no here's all this Chewie backstory, doesn't it make you see the OT differently now? ADDING TO THE LORE" because if they do it with Chewie, they'll do it with everything.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:36 pm

I personally like that they are adding to the lore and that we are getting to see Han and Chewie's backstory.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Marcuse wrote:ADDING TO THE LORE" because if they do it with Chewie, they'll do it with everything.

*discreetly puts away script that focuses on how Figrin D'an became leader of the Modal Nodes*

"Bith please" is going to land a lot of laughs in the trailer... So how's it going everyone? That weather, whew.

I feel anything Han and Chewie related could be done way better with animation than by trying to recast a Harrison Ford role that isn't a Jack Ryan type of character. But my ideas aren't always the most profitable, idk.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Marcuse » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 pm

I bought the Last Jedi on DVD a couple of days ago and rewatched it for the first time. Knowing all the twists and turns, and not really looking to nitpick the flaws (given how much I've focused on them, I actually was trying to find things I liked about it) I found myself bored. Nothing about the movie really gripped me, a sort of ineffable thing but an important one.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:02 pm

I liked The Last Jedi, but I had alot of problems with it. Most of the characters were dull, Rey is still a Mary Sue. She gets almost NO training from Luke at all, and gets skilled and powerful quickly. In the Force Awakens, Rey almost pilots and knows the Millennium Falcon as well as Han Solo and Chewbacca after just piloting it once. She defeats Kylo Ren, who had years of training. He might have been wounded, but he still should be able to defeat Rey. who has NEVER used a lightsaber before.

Look at Luke Skywalker. He develops as all 3 movies go. He does not just quickly become powerful with no training. A good number of time passes between the 3 movies. We see Yoda training Luke hard.

Hell, look at Anakin Skywalker. We know that years pass between all 3 of his movies, and grows stronger after those years.

Another problem was Snoke was wasted.

I also have a problem with how the creators treat the fans. They say that if you don't like the new Star Wars movies, than you are a bigot.

Also, about the whole "The Force is female". it's BS. The Force has no gender.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby Marcuse » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 pm

We see Yoda training Luke hard.

Even despite this, neither Yoda nor Obi Wan consider Luke to be ready. Vader immediately notices he's not fully trained and says he's not a Jedi yet.

In TLJ the only nod to the ridiculousness of Rey beating Kylo in a duel that way she did (I would be way more okay with her surviving against the odds because Kylo was injured and unfocused and if TFA had done anything to deliver that) was Snoke berating Kylo for it, in a scene that felt more like the writer/director complaining about the previous movie than a real scene between the characters.

That's actually one reason why I don't find the movie engaging. The artifice of nearly every scene is so obvious it's painful. The fact it trails heavily the end of the Jedi Order and a bold new direction then culminates in the Jedi still existing and Kylo becoming a boring discount Sith irks me no end. There is clear and obvious scope and fan traction (the EU wrote about this kind of thing extensively and it was very popular) in the sentiments they put in Luke's mouth about the Jedi sucking and needing to end and the story doesn't have the balls to actually make that happen.

It also means Yoda is a ridiculous manipulative bastard, which at least is in character. Think about it, Luke goes to burn the Jedi texts in the tree and he can't do it. Then Yoda pops in and burns down the evidence that Rey has taken the texts already so Luke can't find out and stop her. Then he cackles at Luke and gives him some faux wisdom so he'll kill himself to keep the Resistance alive. Yoda has played Luke from the second he met him, and he's still at it now. If anything, this is the best evidence that the Jedi Order was always rotten to the core.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:21 am

TBF, Rey had spent her entire life becoming familiar with spaceships and using a melee weapon for self-defense so really Luke is the one who had little to no training/experience compared to her.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

PreviousNext