I'm just holding out for Herr Starr.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Preacher

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:31 pm

I binge-watched the show a few months back because I saw it getting fairly positive reviews, and reading through this thread, it definitely seems like I enjoyed it more than most of you did. It's definitely seriously flawed, but I had a pretty good time with it and I'm fine with the approach they took. Most of the actors and characters were great, the creative peaks (like the fight between the angels in the hotel) were superb, and while the story was rocky and not everything fit, I appreciate that they're planting seeds for later.

Maybe it helps that I didn't read the comic directly, and don't plan to any time soon. Frankly, from what I hear of the material that was cut or changed, it doesn't sound like I would enjoy much of it. However, taking into account how I feel about The Walking Dead between the comic and the show, I can definitely empathize with the frustrations being expressed by comic fans. A story that depraved and hyper-edgy probably should have been given to HBO or Netflix so as to be free of the restrictions placed upon AMC and primetime network TV in general.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:59 am

Garth Ennis is the bees knees. I'm reading The Boys right now and thoroughly enjoying it.

Is there anybody who writes better hate fucking scenes?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:56 am

Garth Ennis is phenomenal writer. I think he sometimes gets overlooked a bit because people focus too much on his material, being all hyper violent, gory, and all other kinds of fucked up. But he legit has some serious chops aside from that, and he writes probably the best dialogue in comics. I liken him a bit to Quinten Tarantino in that regard. He writes very violent material, but he still has a knack for fantastic, natural feeling dialogue. I've read far less of Ennis' material than I'd have liked, but I've loved all of it so far. (All of Preacher, about half of his run on Punisher, and the first 12 or so issues of The Boys).

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:43 am

Maybe I should give him and the comic a chance, then. In fairness, while I knew of the comic's material beforehand and came to my own conclusion there (and looking over the volume synopses while I contemplate buying one, it still seems like the show's approach is more my thing), the majority of discussion I've heard about Ennis himself is from The A.V. Club, where the collective raging hate-boner for him is almost as swollen and veiny as what they have for Robert Kirkman and The Walking Dead.

Question for comic fans: Is comics-Jesse as much of a massive asshole as the art and summaries make him out to be? Because he seems like a smug, callous prick from my uninitiated eye.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 pm

I don't know if the comic would be your thing or not. It IS hyper-violent, profane, sacrilegious, curse-ridden, sexualized, over the top, and filled with dark humour. Whether that's your thing or not, I don't know, but it's exactly my type of thing. There is more to Preacher and Ennis than that, but there is still a lot of that. If you're unsure about buying it, just get it from the library, or read the first few issues at Barnes & Nobles or something. (I also don't read AV Club, so I can't comment on their hate boner).

As for Jesse, without spoiling things, I wouldn't say he's an outright smug, callous prick, but he can be an asshole.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Oh, I'm 100% down for all of those things when they're done well, and the praise leads me to believe that's the case despite my reservations, so I'll probably pick up the first volume when I get the chance (and I'll post my thoughts on it here if that happens). I just haven't given it the time of day yet mainly because... it seems like it's trying way too hard. Like it was designed by a vast committee of stereotypical 14-year old boys to be the edgiest thing they could think of at all times.

Spoiler: show
Like, Quincannon is a psychotic KKK member with a Nazi dominatrix secretary and a meat sex doll? The sheriff is a bigoted asshole who essentially fucks himself to death with his own severed dick? Arseface shot himself not because of a personal mistake, but because Kurt Cobain was a thing?

Things like the Saint of Killers, the Grail, and what little I've heard about how they handle the absentee God pique my curiosity, but things like what I've spoilered just make me cringe, because they seem like things I might have written when I was a young teen. I'm generally more in tune with the show's grey-and-grey morality than the comic's apparent black-and-dark grey nihilism. Maybe it's just a matter of me reading about these things instead of seeing them in their context, though. I will more than likely give it a fair shot.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:52 am

You summed those three things up in one paragraph when they're drawn out slowly over a lot of issues. Quincannon's fun behind closed doors isn't revealed for a loooong time. Don't take it seriously and you'll be okay. Go into it with the mindset of everything being extreme for the sake of shock comedy. Herr Starr especially. Every time I think I'm having a bad day I think about what he went through.

Its not like a committee of teens wrote it, its like a twisted sick fuck wrote it seeking the approval of stereotypical teens who want edgy content. If you enjoy anything Chuck Pahlaniuk wrote you'll like Preacher. And if you end up liking Preacher then you'll probably like The Boys also.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:54 pm

I finished the first season. I like that this has broken away from the comic and I didn't think I'd ever say that. Ruth Negga is amazing. Arseface's arc is weird to say the least and makes me wonder if he'll be written to have the same cultural impact in that universe that he managed to have in the comic.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri May 26, 2017 3:41 am

Herr Starr is go!

Just, please no rottweilers this time.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 am

Well, season 2 is go, and It's actually looking pretty promising. The Saint of Killers is pretty brutal in this episode. He fucking
rips out a guy's tongue
!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 am

If I don't get more Herr Starr soon, I swear to god I'mma cut a bitch!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 am

I'm really enjoying this season so far, even more than the first. Comics fans (at least in the other review circles I follow) are by and large livid with how the show is still daring to stray from the perfect untouchable source material, but I'm loving most everything that's going down, especially Dominic Cooper's ever-fascinating unhinged Jesse.

Something I've noticed that was interesting to think about: the two big AMC comic adaptations have both taken their leads in the polar opposite directions of the source. TWD mostly erased Rick's moral questionability and steady evolution into a callous tactician in favor of a nearly unbreakable cowboy who only started truly cracking in very recent seasons, while Preacher has stripped much of what I understand to be Jesse Custer's unflinching moral code from the comics and is having a lot of fun with the dark, broken man that remains. I like the latter change a lot more than the former.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 am

There are some later arcs where TV Jesse would be kind of out of place in terms of Characterizing, but they already blew the Salvation arc by using Odin Quincannon in season 1 so I guess they have more free reign with his characterization, there's just the matter of what they'd be doing with two big characters from that particular arc.
My biggest issue with the season is that they focused on a subplot with
Tulip's husband
and I'm just getting ancy for Marie L'Angelle, Jesus De Sade, and more Herr Starr.

But, this season is longer than the last one, so I'll try to be patient.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:15 am

Having just gotten around to watching "Pig", I have one thought:

Holy fucking shit, Herr Starr is fantastic and now I completely understand all of the hype surrounding him.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext