Netflix is ordering 12 more episodes of Black Mirror

What have you been watching?

Netflix is ordering 12 more episodes of Black Mirror

Postby 52xMax » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Good news, everyone!

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-black-mirror-new-episodes-1201602037/

In case you're not familiar with this show, black mirror is an anthology of science fiction tales (a la Twilight Zone and Outer Limits) with a focus on new media and technology. Made for England's Channel 4, the show was created by Charlie Brooker and has spanned 2 series of 3 episodes each, as well as a Christmas special, and I may add all 7 of them so far have been excellent television.

Suffice to say I'm very excited about these news. It's deliciously ironic that Netflix are the ones picking up this show, considering the themes it deals with, but it is also the perfect outlet for it. No news about an airing date yet, or what this means for the planned (ugh) American version of the show, but I'll be updating if anything else comes up.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Re: Netflix is ordering 12 more episodes of Black Mirror

Postby Macready » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Its an excellent TV series. I cant wait!

Macready
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Truth Seeker

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:33 am

This is some great effing news, as long as we don't get 12 more episodes of Waldo!

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:11 pm

52xMax wrote: Made for England's Channel 4

*whack* BRITAIN! NOT ENGLAND! GET IT RIGHT!

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby 52xMax » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:10 am

FieldMarshalFry wrote:
52xMax wrote: Made for England's Channel 4

*whack* BRITAIN! NOT ENGLAND! GET IT RIGHT!

To be fair, Channel 4 operates out of England, and up until 2010 its programming was limited to England, Ireland, Scotland (plus cable/satellite, I guess), because not even the Brits care about Wales.

Also, you probably mean Great Britain (what's so great about it I don't know). Actual Britain, or Brittany, Breton, Bretagne (it goes by many names) is in north west France.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Australia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Well, third season is finally out, over a year after Max teased us with the information. Dick. I've seen the first two episodes, one of which is my least favourite of the series so far and the other is one of my favourites. The first episode is literally 'what if that classic episode of Community where an app rating your friends devolved into chaos took itself seriously?' and just fails. Once you've seen a comedy version of that premise, a dramatic remake is just distracting. The second episode is a cool horror version of Total Recall, part virtual-reality, part haunted house and it's sufficiently creepy.

I don't know what to make of the opening logo being 'Original Netflix Series' when it isn't. 'Original Netflix Episode', sure, but maybe that's just pedantry.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby NathanBros » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm into science fiction since ever, don't think Black Mirror is THAT thing, just enjoyed few episodes. You may also try Utopia from Britain, quite enjoyable show.

Luigi Time!!!
My blog: Sylenth1 VST Synth
NathanBros
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Luigi Time!!!

Postby Taluun » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:39 pm

I personally have been loving this season more so than others.

Also they have the netflix original bit tagged onto arrested development as well so this is not the first show they have done something similar with.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:46 am

Black Mirror's Christmas episodes continue to be the highlight of the series. Now both are my two favourite episodes. The middle four episodes of season four range from okay to good but USS Callister and Black Museum are the only ones I'd call great.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:30 am

God I loved this season, Hang the DJ probably topped it for me. I'm a little worried that Black Museum feels like a show-ender, I mean it was a pretty great one to end on, but I don't want it to end. Anyone know if they've announced any more seasons?

52xMax wrote:Also, you probably mean Great Britain (what's so great about it I don't know). Actual Britain, or Brittany, Breton, Bretagne (it goes by many names) is in north west France.

Hi comment from three years ago. I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

I believe I recently added this to my to-watch list. I can't believe I only just learned about this show then.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 am

I just watched the whole thing after learning about it probably the same way AGL did: Discord.

The interesting thing is just how much disagreement there is among people about various episodes. The two lists I found ranking them, Tesseracts, Kate, and myself all had dramatically different opinions of various episodes (well my impressions are pretty close to Kate's but not identical), and looking at what Max and Oz like it's clear that I disagree with y'all as well.

There were six episodes I really liked and could definitely see myself rewatching, and six more which I affirmatively, strongly disliked and would not rewatch. I'm including those in spoilers for these episodes since for these twelve episodes I may spoil plot points which happen within the first fifteen minutes (though not beyond that), and because the chances are good that I loved an episode you hated and/or hated an episode you loved.

Warning: good chance I loved an episode you hated
My favorite episodes are:

1. "Hated in the Nation" (robot bees)
  2. "USS Callister" (Star Trek)
  3. "The National Anthem" (pig fucking)
  4. "San Junipero" (lesbian lovers)
  5. "Black Museum" (creepy curator)
  6. "Shut Up And Dance" (blackmail malware)

Warning: good chance I hate your favorite episode
And here are the episodes I affirmatively disliked, from worst to least awful:

1. "The Entire History of You" (memory replay)
  2. "The Waldo Moment" (cartoon bear)
  3. "Be Right Back" (dead lover)
  4. "Men Against Fire" (roach killers)
  5. "Playtest" (VR tourist)
  6. "White Christmas" (two men)

All of the other episodes were on a spectrum ranging from "I liked it but didn't love it enough that I'm sure I'd rewatch it" to "it had a lot of issues but I didn't quite hate it." My favorite of those episodes was "15 Million Merits" and my least favorite was "Metalhead." I'd say that I had a negative impression of "Crocodile" and a mildly positive impression of the four remaining episodes (chronologically: "White Bear," "Nosedive," "Arkangel," "Hang the DJ").

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Australia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 pm

I love all your favourites, though if I had to swap one with one of your hated, it would be Hated in the Nation with White Christmas, because that's the only one I strongly disagree with being in the latter list. It's almost like people have different tastes in entertainment or something.

Spoiler: show
I think Hang The DJ is getting far too much praise. It's my second-least favourite of this season (Arkangel had zero plot). It's trying to be San Junipero again, but there are no surprises. One of the characters literally says ten minutes in 'we're probably in the matrix or something' (okay, not literally, but something like that) and I thought, oh, that makes sense, I was wondering why nobody has jobs, and then at the end it turns out they were in the matrix. Okay. I mean, that's the end of half the Black Mirror episodes but I thought they might build on it if they were going to tip their hand that early. I'd rank season 4:
USS Callister
Black Museum
Metalhead
Crocodile
Hang the DJ
Arkangel

But again, the latter four aren't going to be at the top of my all time list, which would probably look exactly like this:

USS Callister
White Christmas
The National Anthem
Black Museum
San Junipero
Shut Up And Dance
Playtest
Metalhead
Hated In The Nation
White Bear
The Waldo Moment
Be Right Back
Crocodile
15 Million Merits
Hang the DJ
Arkangel
Men Against Fire
The Entire History Of You
Nosedive

Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep