Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix

What have you been watching?

Re: Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:52 pm

They've released the full trailer. Dis gonna be good.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 pm

52xMax wrote:I can't help thinking that the network saw that show choking on its own vomit while sleeping and didn't bother to turn it on its side.

What you did there.

I see it.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:34 pm

This looks brilliant, and now I need to get Netflix even more than I already needed to.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:10 am

So far I'm liking this pretty well. I don't think it's as fabulous as Daredevil, but it's weirdly both more light-hearted and dark at the same time. At least to me; the whole Purple Man thing, while obviously integral to the character and the show and the saga, is really unsettling. David Tennant is deeply creepy.

Spoiler: show
Also holy cow. I'm like three episodes in and they just never stop having sex. That's a lot of sex, guys.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:
Also holy cow. I'm like three episodes in and they just never stop having sex. That's a lot of sex, guys.

Sweet Christmas, indeed.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby sunglasses » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

David Tennant is a fabulous bad guy. I am also only 3 shows in.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Askias » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

And... Done.

I'm not good at reviewing stuff, but I liked the overall product. There were some plot threads I think could've done with a rewrite. I won't go into them in detail as you people will open spoiler tags anyway (I always do), and I do think this plot deserves to be discovered piece by piece. But you'll see what I mean.

Thoughts with minimal spoilers
I say 'plot' singular, and I think that applies more strongly to this show than Daredevil. This is mostly due to the nature of the villain, Kilgrave, who is creepy as all hell, and the extend and nature of his power really shows, making the show less than suitable for young audiences. Unlike Wilson Fisk, Kilgrave is a one-man threat, and the narrative doesn't make attempts to get episodes self-contained. You can recognize them as individual episodes, but while I like the show on Netflix, if this were a regular tv show it'd need some very extensive 'previously on' segments.

Luke Cage is cool, but gets somewhat lost in the shuffle against a villain who essentially can't be fought head-on. The other side characters I like less than Daredevil. They're not as likeable, save one, and they switch mindsets frequently from episode to episode, not in the least due to the nature of Kilgrave. Kilgrave himself is a great villain. David Tennant is a great actor of course, and Kilgrave has the personality to match the life of a man with no concience and no-one who can refuse him. He even gets a bit of backstory. I liked the Kingpin better as a character, but Kilgrave, like Fisk before him, suspassed any Marvel movie villain, I daresay including Loki, and is probably the single most villainous antagonist, and that's saying something in the universe of the Red Skull. You really want to see the guy drop dead.

Jessica Jones makes this show. While Matt Murdock had a decent motivation and backstory and was likeable enough, Jessica Jones is all personal conflict, and the tone of show takes full advantage of her past twisted by Kilgrave, and even her life before she met him. Hint: It's not a barrel of laughs. She's easy to empathise with, her actions are understandable, and despite some dodgy actions in the first few episodes she never goes into unlikeability or apathy. She's got personality, an utilized and complete backstory, a heart in the right place, and the right emotions throughout (wish some of her friends got those memos). Even if I didn't always like her supporting cast, it helped she liked and cared.

Biggest issue with AKA Smile - SPOILERS
NO DAREDEVIL CAMEO!

Seriously, I swear they set up the episode synopsys to spite us. I was so pissed off when Jones refused his help, indirectly no less. I mean, I have no idea what he should have done against Kilgrave, but he would have been DAREDEVIL.

Also, was anyone else expecting Kilgrave to turn purple at the end after he was injected? Having him actually be purple throughout would've damaged the ''nobody believes he exists'' plot, but at the end it seemed all stops were going out, and I expected him to share his comic book counterpart's skin color during the final showdown.

I didn't really like what they ended up doing with Simpons either. There were enough coïncidences going on with Cage and Jones.

Not a show I expect to rewatch, but I'm glad I saw it, and will be looking forward to future seasons. The world will know her name!

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby gisambards » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm six episodes in. So far, I prefer it to Daredevil - the good guys (Jessica, Luke, Trish, Simpson and Malcolm) are certainly more interesting and likable than Daredevil's, and less cliched.
Hogarth is a very interesting character, as it's rare to see a character in anything who is overall a good guy but still so amoral.
And while originally I was disappointed with Kilgrave (particularly in comparison with Fisk) - I felt his powers were very well done and very disturbing, and he was certainly creepy, but he wasn't as interesting as a character - in episode 6 they give him a bit more characterisation -
a) he's genuinely in love with Jessica, even if this does manifest in torturing her.
b) he struggles to not rely constantly on his powers.

- and this actually gives the show a very interesting bad guy as well.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:06 pm

While stacking shelves tonight, I was trying to decide whether Jessica Jones or Daredevil is my favourite Marvel show (they're the only ones in the running) (#thingstodoatwork) though I still had one episode left in Jessica Jones (since viewed). Daredevil definitely has the best action, I don't think anyone can argue that. On the flip side, Jessica Jones definitely has the best character arc. Both characters grow through the course of their season but Jessica's is far more noticeable and different as far as the superhero genre goes.

The villains are great for completely different reasons but gun to my head (because being held hostage to answer television preferences is a common occurence), I gotta go with Purple Man, though he didn't kill anyone with a car door.

The side characters are entertaining in both and I don't think I can split them. If I did rank them, it would be very much JJ character-DD character-JJ-DD-JJ-etcetera. There was a plot thread in Jessica Jones that came out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere but that might be setting up the second season. Either way, it was distracting and I don't remember anything like that happening in Daredevil.

Jessica Jones is a fresher genre from Marvel as well. It's more of a psychological thriller than an action show. It felt like Hannibal in places, though replace cannibalism with superpowers. I'm also a sucker for the noir genre (tangent: I always hated that Sliders never did Noir World, considering half their worlds were pretty much the same. Doppelganger Rembrandt: Of all the bars in all the Earths in all the parallel universes, they slide into mine.)

Which did I enjoy more? I'm going to go with Jessica Jones, but that might be because I'm still on the high from watching it so recently.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:26 am

I started this show recently, and I enjoy it so far. Definitely better than other superhero shows, definitely way more feminist than other superhero stuff/tv in general, although neither of those are very high bars. It has a lot of suspense, the actors are really good, and Kilgrave is an incredible character. I haven't been keeping up with TV in recent years so I knew nothing about David Tennant before watching this, but now I'm pretty sure he's a genius. Unfortunately the writing does get cliched and heavy handed sometimes, but it still works. Jessica Jones is incredibly dark, probably the darkest thing I've seen on TV.

I'll write some random complaints which aren't spoilers here, then discuss episodes 9 and 10, which I just watched.
• The lawyer is REALLY annoying. I disliked her from the start and I dislike her more now. She's just a generic jerk, she's an incompetent lawyer, and she hardly serves a purpose plot wise. Jessica should have fired her a long time ago. The subplot about the divorce is really annoying and pointless.
• Apparently Kilgrave never meets anyone who doesn't understand English, or who is deaf.
• Jessica's alcoholism is dumb. She acts insane when the plot needs it, then a minute later she acts like she's sober. I get it, she's damaged, we don't need all the drinking to understand that.

So, the last two episodes were significantly stupider than previous episodes. The whole plan to force a confession out of Kilgrave instead of finding actual witnesses to his crimes makes no sense. The plan to put his parents in there with him REALLY doesn't make sense. The way Jessica convinced the parents, who had been hiding for decades, to confront him by claiming it's their responsibility was really lame. It's not even true, he isn't their responsibility. If your son is a serial killer you're officially off the hook as parents, congratulations. Someone else has to deal with it.

The whole support group attack was incredibly silly and out of place.

I read a pretty dumb feminist article claiming Hogarth is unrealistic because she's a jerk and women can't be jerks I guess.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Kate » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 am

Tesseracts wrote:I read a pretty dumb feminist article claiming Hogarth is unrealistic because she's a jerk and women can't be jerks I guess.

The analysis on Hogarth started out so promising because that's one of the things I felt was so heavy-handed; it was almost like they were like "See, she's a ruthless business WOMAN who takes a younger mistress and is awful to her starter wife, how novel! Look at how powerful women are! I bet you didn't expect a WOMAN to be in this role of heartless business person exploiting people!" I felt the same way about the shrill sister. You know the one. Equality through women being awful too! But I figured it was probably a comic thing that I missed by not being able to afford to fund a comic addiction.

But then it just nosedives right into "It's so unrealistic for a woman to do this; only men are awful like this, because men can't understand." Le sigh.

I liked Jessica Jones a lot. Kilgrave definitely reminds me of my ex, so kudos to people warning me not to watch it but I was okay. I can definitely see why it's triggery for some people though.

I still think Daredevil was marginally better, just because I felt less like I was getting preached at, but I like that Jessica Jones took bigger risks. The opening is amazing, the music is absolutely perfect. Not just the opening music, but the music throughout the whole show. The acting was good, the characters felt real, the relationships felt real, and the protagonist is the right kind of imperfect.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 am

Aside from any possible triggers I would think a show like this would help people who have been in abusive relationships. Kilgrave kills, lies, steals, lies some more, and basically hurts people for completely petty reasons. It's even more obvious how destructive his impact has been on his victims. I don't have an abusive ex but I know seeing my own problems represented in fiction makes me feel validated and provides a clearer perspective.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sun May 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Okay, so I thought about this when I first watched the show and it randomly popped into my head again today:

How would I deal with having Kilgrave's power?

I still have no answer. Of course, I'd like to say that I'd be a totally moral guy and never use it/only use it for the betterment of mankind, but that would be dishonest. Also, is it moral to manipulate people against their will in this fashion even if it is for the greater good?

Not using them at all is nigh impossible too, as Kilgrave makes clear in that one scene where I almost felt sorry for him (which really points to Tennant's excellent acting skills).

I guess the most moral thing to do would be to kill myself. That, or live in complete isolation from anyone. Those are both things that I'd rather not do.

I'm not arrogant enough to exempt myself from the saying "Absolute power corrupts absolutely", but this also implies that Kilgrave had no chance of not ending up how he did and that we can't judge him.

Am I missing something? Is there an elegant way out of this? How would you guys deal with having Kilgrave's power?

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun May 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Later in the season it becomes apparent the power is actually the result of a virus, and they're working on a cure. Naturally that doesn't work, but if it seems like that's something that could lead to a cure, I'd go with that. In the meantime, assuming the power doesn't go straight to my head, just preface every conversation with, "No matter what I say to you, decide what to do next on your own. Don't do anything I tell you just because I tell you." People who know the issue will appreciate it, and people who don't will just be a little weirded out, tops, but most likely just pay it no mind.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Bert » Sun May 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Now here is an interesting question. I think for me the answer would depend on if I aquired this power in the manner Kilgrave did or not.

To recap on Kilgrave's origin:
In order to save his life from a degeneritive neurological condition, his parents experimented on him at a young age (pre-teen, I think). It was a brutal, traumatic experience for him.

Had I gone through that, I would most likely not be the same person I am today. I'd have to think on it more, but it is hard to imagine me excercising as much moral restraint as I would now.

If I did gain this power suddenly right now, isolation wouldn't be completely necessary. Most of my current socialization is over the internet, and his powers only work in person. More intimate relationships would be difficult, if not impossible. As Peter mentioned, you wouldn't always know when you are using it. Additionally, if your partner was aware of your ability, how could they trust you? Should they trust you?

I don't think all possible uses of the power would be immoral. Much less extreme forms of persuasion exist and we practice them every day. I would simply be the best person ever at it. Where exactly the line is would be debatable. Fortunately, I would be very good at debates.

Edit: Damnit Notch, don't ninja in good ideas like that.

"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Show rep

PreviousNext