What time is it? Adventure Time!

What have you been watching?

What time is it? Adventure Time!

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:13 am

Who here watched Adventure Time? I love this show.

I just watched the episode Orgalorg. Somehow, this show just keeps getting weirder and more awesome. I love the weird and complex back story Adventure Time builds even for characters which seem minor and insignificant. That was also one of the cool things about The Simpsons back in it's heyday.

Although, some episodes I count among my least favorite were also recent. Particularly I don't like Chips and Ice Cream. Literally the entire episode is just these two little things saying chips and ice cream over and over. I don't know what they were thinking.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: What time is it? Adventure Time!

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:55 am

I used to watch it religiously, but lately I've turned to just keeping the episodes contributing to the genuinely awesome story arc (or dramatically changing the arcs of the main characters) in my DVR and deleting much of the rest.

The running story, though, is actually really awesome. There are things on live-action, "adult" television that aren't half as complex and investing as the universe Pen Ward has built up in his supposed kids' show. Plenty of heartfelt, tear-jerking moments, too, and some pretty mature morals and subject matters to boot. You don't see a lot of cartoons that handle dementia, parental abandonment, pregnancy, unrequited love, abuse, permanent destruction of friendships, and visible death on a regular basis, and even less that do so in a serious manner while both avoiding "very special episodes" and maintaining a fair standard of humor. Marceline's backstory alone is some of the most depressing fare you can find in a Western cartoon.

And Tess, if you're on Orgalorg now, wait until you see the season finale. It's a real status quo shifter.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby LaChaise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:03 am

Adventure Time is one of my favorite shows. I love the story, the art, the characters, the everything.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 am

KleinerKiller wrote:And Tess, if you're on Orgalorg now, wait until you see the season finale. It's a real status quo shifter.

I watched it about a week ago. And, wow. You were right.

One of the things I love about this show is, it takes moments which seem like random, silly jokes, and makes them into serious plot points.
Spoiler: show
When Finn said he was a comet in a past life, I thought that was just a joke. I also thought it was a joke when Marceline's father said Gunter was the most evil thing he had ever encountered. Nope. Not a joke.

Also, check out this scene. At 1:07 you see orgalorg.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:49 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Jack Road » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 am

Spoilers bee-crotch. I can't keep up with the episodes. Damn you current conviction to not pirate.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:16 am

I like the show a lot but haven't seen it in a while. My favourite episodes are the one with the city of thieves and the donut witch

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:01 am

Simon&Marcy was easily my favorite episode and quite frankly also the greatest cartoon I have ever seen, no questions asked.

Last edited by DoglovingJim on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby AboveGL » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Well, it's on my To Watch list (which I'll likely never work through).

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:28 am

Everything Simon and Marceline makes me cry until I look like a raisin. Easily one of the best relationship between two characters ever.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:59 am

Hey guys, you do know that this October, there's gonna be an Adventure Time miniseries, right? It'll focus a bit on Marceline, which is good because season six had barely any focus on her. Plus, Rebecca Sugar wrote a new song for the series.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:52 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:Hey guys, you do know that this October, there's gonna be an Adventure Time miniseries, right? It'll focus a bit on Marceline, which is good because season six had barely any focus on her. Plus, Rebecca Sugar wrote a new song for the series.

I didn't, in fact, know that. That's awesome! Marceline is one of my favorite characters. I even have a sticker of her on my laptop.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 am

Yeah, Cartoon Network has been pushing for more miniseries after Over The Garden Wall got really successful.

By the way, an Adventure Time theatrical movie is in the works too.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:52 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:Hey guys, you do know that this October, there's gonna be an Adventure Time miniseries, right? It'll focus a bit on Marceline, which is good because season six had barely any focus on her. Plus, Rebecca Sugar wrote a new song for the series.

You mean like early on after The Great Mushroom War when she was still a kid with Simon or her current state in Candy Kingdom?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:06 am

DoglovingJim wrote:You mean like early on after The Great Mushroom War when she was still a kid with Simon or her current state in Candy Kingdom?

I hope we get a good majority of the former. We've seen the Mushroom War aftermath in a few episodes, but we haven't really explored it. We also haven't witnessed many of the possible transitional stages between "nightmarish social ruin worldwide" and "fantastical wonderland with a few pockets of ruin". This could be a great opportunity to flesh out that most dark and compelling of plot threads through an interesting perspective.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Next