What time is it? Adventure Time!

What have you been watching?

Re: What time is it? Adventure Time!

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:59 am

Also, the dementia thing about the Ice King is pretty obvious, but they go into a more in depth explanation as to the crown's origins in the episode Evergreen (if you haven't checked it out, do yourself a favor and do so, it's really good).

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:04 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:Also, the dementia thing about the Ice King is pretty obvious, but they go into a more in depth explanation as to the crown's origins in the episode Evergreen (if you haven't checked it out, do yourself a favor and do so, it's really good).

As that was a plot-relevant episode, I did indeed watch it. And it was quite good.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 am

How do you determine which episodes are plot-relevant without watching them KleinerKiller?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:22 am

cmsellers wrote:How do you determine which episodes are plot-relevant without watching them KleinerKiller?

Record them all, pop over to the wiki, read the very basic plot synopsis for most of them without spoiling too much, and delete the ones that just seem like irrelevant nonsense. It works effectively 98% of the time, and whatever happens to slip by in hindsight is easily accessed by Xfinity On Demand. I'm a busy man and that's the only way I can continue to mix Adventure Time into my many other recorded programs.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon May 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Minor Magic Man spoilers.

Spoiler: show
In the latest episode they ruined Magic Man by making him into a good guy.

This started with the Ice King, as I said before, but Adventure Time has been doing this to all their bad guys lately. It's never the other way around, good guys never become bad (with the possible exception of Lemongrab).

It doesn't even make sense for Magic Man to become good. He just lost his magical powers, and became Normal Man. Why would losing his magic make him good? That's a rather cynical way to look at things, don't you think? It's like the only reason he was ever a jerk is because he could get away with it. As soon as he can't get away with it any more, he's a completely different person? What the hell? There are TONS of magical people in the Adventure Time universe who aren't assholes.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with a bad guy becoming a good guy. It can be interesting and I like it when characters develop in unexpected ways. But that doesn't mean they can do this to EVERY VILLAIN. Adventure Time is NOT Steven Universe. I like Adventure Time because it's dark, weird, and it doesn't make any SEEEEEEENSE. ADVENTURE TIME IS NOT ADORABLE.

Adventure Time is great because it subverts expectations. If I can expect every character to have some boring redemption story then it's not surprising any more.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 16, 2016 4:47 pm

cmsellers wrote:How do you determine which episodes are plot-relevant without watching them KleinerKiller?

If it explains and gives reasons to why things currently are as they are in the land of ooo (including the psychology of the characters), then you probably found a plot relevant episode.

If the thing shows up more than once, you also probably found one.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:49 pm

After nine years of broadcasting and losing much of its viewership due to Cartoon Network refusing to properly advertise or schedule it, Adventure Time has come to an end with 40-minute finale "Come Along With Me". I'd been binge-rewatching the entire series to get caught back up to where I stopped, and made it just in time to cap off the masterpiece.

Spoiler: show
Everyone whose arc hadn't satisfyingly wrapped up in "Islands" and "Elements" got their due, even -- to my delight -- BMO. There was a lot left to the imagination, but since a major point of contention has been the idea that too much of Ooo was being explored and the show was losing its sense of mystery, I'm glad for that (even if I've always thought those criticisms were unfounded).

I'm glad Simon got rescued for good from being Ice King. It diminishes the dementia metaphor a little to give him a stable ending, but the man's been through enough, and Betty's sacrifice was enough of a cost that it felt earned.

And I never expected to see Marceline and Bubblegum get a full-on kiss and confirmation as an official couple. Ever since the "What Was Missing?" debacle, Olivia Olson's outside confirmation, and the reasoning that the show airs in places where homosexuality is illegal, I'd resigned the duo to just getting endless subtext teases while other cartoons pushed the boundaries. They certainly waited until the last minute, but I couldn't be happier with it.

I teared up a little over Rebecca Sugar's final song, "Time Adventure", and it was effective enough that it overpowered my brief annoyance at the trope of the evil force being countered (however briefly in this case) by everyone singing. And then the show did exactly what I expected it would, setting the ending montage to "Come Along With Me" -- the credits song I've heard hundreds of times -- and it completely broke me.

Ultimately, there was no second apocalyptic war, despite what was foreshadowed since the show's halfway point. Everyone just kept living, and the old and overgrown Ooo we've occasionally glimpsed was just that: old age, a time long past the era of Finn and company. On the one hand, the idea of history repeating was beautifully terrifying, and lent a serious, ominous edge to the later seasons. On the other, everyone being able to dodge the mistakes of humanity and live on with the lives they've built is a great thematic endpoint -- if not as brutally daring and subversive as having them all destroy themselves would have been -- and I'm not sure I would have been able to handle the sight of Finn melting in the shockwave of a mushroom cloud. The treehouse being destroyed and Fern's last seed being planted in its remains filled my devastation quota fine.

It's not a perfect finale by any means. I'm annoyed that the Lich was easily dealt with right before the final season, despite so much buildup; Uncle Gumbald was a lame antagonist who was introduced way too late in the show to be built up, Fern was great but didn't get enough to do as a villain, and while GOLB was intense and I'm glad there was payoff to years of ominous glimpses, his silence meant he couldn't hold a candle to his disciple. The dream sequence / mental battle with Gumbald and Fern dragged on too long, giving fuel to the detractors who say the show is pretentious. And I wish such a colorful, imaginative show had had its final battle with an eldritch abomination happen somewhere other than a fairly bland crater. But those flaws are ultimately overshadowed when there's so much good.

Series review is on the way. There's never been a cartoon like this, and I doubt there will be again for a very long time (Steven Universe is great in its own ways, but its pacing issues and obsessive focus on the least interesting character drag down the best parts). Brava.

Will happen, happening, happened
Will happen, happening, happened, and
There we are, again and again
'Cause you and I will always be back then~

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Previous