Hannibal

What have you been watching?

Re: Hannibal

Postby Jack Road » Sun May 25, 2014 1:24 am

Sorry mate, this show is idling in my player until I can tear away from all the other shows. Keeping up with it though, looks good.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:54 pm

So I just started watching the show yesterday. It's pretty good so far. My only complaint is that the writers seem to be grasping at straws with the killers of the week. It's a bit unconvincing with how some of the killers are even able to live a double life at all, especially the guy in episode 2. Other than that, it's a pretty good show.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Jack Road » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Australia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am

I just finished the show. I'm a big fan of Silence and thought the other movies were fairly forgettable and as someone who's sick of police procedurals, I wasn't sure whether to give the show a chance but I'm hooked. There's not many psychological thrillers on television and this is done well. I thought maybe they were going to go the antihero route like Dexter but they made Hannibal a collosal douchebag, which is great.

Dr Bloom was really familiar to me and it took me a few episodes to click that she was in Wonderfalls, which is kind of fitting, considering her character was most likely insane.

I've been hoping the show reverses the norm, i.e. instead of a hero defeating a new villain every season, it's a villain destroying a new person's life per arc. As for the last episode...

Spoiler: show
That kind of implies that will happen. Hannibal will probably not be back at the FBI helping out anymore, so it'll be onto a new victim. While I thought season 2 raised the stakes (and fatalities), there were a couple of things I found irritating. Giving Hannibal a love interest felt forced. I saw him as fairly asexual in the first season, murder being his orgasm, if that analogy makes any kind of sense. But instead of eating Dr Bloom, he starts, well, pun's obvious so I'll move on. I get that it started as an alibi and to mess with Will, but after the first night, it just felt like an unnecessary way to make Hannibal look innocent. "I have a girlfriend, therefore I can't be serving you Beverly's innards."

I also had the Simpsonic moment of "Isn't anyboody in this dad-gummed cemetery dead?" particularly when they ressurected Abigail for forty seconds only to kill her again for the imagery. Having said that, Jesus Christ, that was an ending. Bodies dropping in every room of Hannibal's house. Pretty dark end of an arc.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Jack Road » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Finally started to watch it. I love it. Interesting thing I noticed.

First the intro to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, directed by Fincher.

Second the Hannibal intro, directed with what AV Club calls "Fincher sensibilities"

This, the Constantine intro.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun May 24, 2015 2:09 am

I've finally started watching this after two years of ambivalence, partially because of random curiosity (I'd heard Francis Dolarhyde would be in the upcoming season, and I like Francis Dolarhyde) and partially in desperation to fill the void left by The Following's cancellation. In the span of two days, I've binged up to S2 EP5.

It's... really good. Great, even. Magnificent at its best points. I love Hugh Dancy as Will Graham, I love Mads Mikkelsen's Lecter even more than Anthony Hopkins's, I love the supporting cast, I love the killers-of-the-week, and I LOVED the first season finale. I can't believe it took me this long when everyone else was ranting and raving about these things.

I just wish I hadn't already spoiled every beat of what's supposed to be the show's equivalent of the Red Wedding in the second season finale. Fucking TV Tropes.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby CarrieVS » Sun May 24, 2015 1:17 pm

TVTropes will ruin your life.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby skrotkanon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Only two days to go! Season 3 will be awesome, I can feel it in my bones!
Mads Mikkelsen in a leather outfit, dayum!

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Sleepyhead

Postby LaChaise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:38 pm

I watched the new season's first episode, is it just me or did they finally go full arthouse on us?

I'm not complaining, mind you, I like it a lot. But this combined with the various flashbacks made it a bit confusing and hard to follow. I'm still not sure I got everything right.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby skrotkanon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:52 pm

That reminds me I should rewatch the thing...

I thought it was all I had waited for. Creepy, gorgeous and funny, often in the same scene!

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby skrotkanon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Holy fuck, episode 3 was amazing!

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:56 am

Season Two Spoilers
So I am well into Season Two now, and it is awesome as always, but I do have some major complaints at this point.

Will Graham switched fast didn't he? Also they just seemed to shoehorn Margot in, that seemed a bit abrupt. At this point, why is anyone in the FBI eating Hannibal's food? Why is a former suspect and someone declared not guilty on a technicality allowed to still advise the FBI? Why would an esteemed psychologist and former friend/romantic interest of someone who basically shouted "Hannibal is evil" date Hannibal? How does nobody notice that previously troublesome people vanish around Hannibal and Graham inc.? How does Will Graham manage to live in Wolf Creek, VA, a place with a median income of 100k a year, with 7+ dogs, without any apparent source of income? Why are advisers to the FBI interrogating suspects before the FBI does? When are those two forensic medical examiners just going to fuck already?

God I love this show though.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:29 am

And NBC's announced that they're fucking canceling it.

It seems like every time I get into a show that's midway through its intended run, the network execs can it. You should all be thankful that I didn't catch Breaking Bad in its run and I've never actively watched Game Of Thrones.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:32 am

KleinerKiller wrote:And NBC's announced that they're fucking canceling it.

It seems like every time I get into a show that's midway through its intended run, the network execs can it. You should all be thankful that I didn't catch Breaking Bad in its run and I've never actively watched Game Of Thrones.

Do us a favor and never watch Better Call Saul.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

PreviousNext