The X Files returns

What have you been watching?

Re: The X Files returns

Postby RedBearded » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:39 pm

I enjoyed the first two episodes. I hope the monster of the week episode is reminiscent of the earlier seasons.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:35 am

I like how before Mulder was all "OMG! It's an alien conspiracy full of aliens! Ahhhh!!!" and now he's like "Hohum, it's a human conspiracy full of humans. Meh."

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:38 am

Even Mulder is disappointed with the plot twist. Though, I guess that makes sense. He wants to believe in aliens, not an always chaotic evil, blindly malicious government.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:13 am

At first, I was a bit confused at the presence of Goofy Mulder (who clearly doesn't know how to use a smartphone) and it seemed to undermine the depressing seriousness of his convictions earlier in his career. It was somewhat sobering to hear hom admit the futility of his beliefs at the beginning of the episode.

But once the episode got underway, it turned out to be really entertaining IMO.

Scully relaxed her skepticism, and Mulder was more accepting of the ridiculousness of this case and logic in general.

Several tongue-in-cheek, lighthearted jabs at the show itself (Mulder's ringtone is the X-Files theme!).

A very nice tribute to the late Kim Manners (longtime X-Files writer).

And a nod to the theory that Scully is immortal.

All in all, this was a really fun episode.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby RedBearded » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:52 am

I agree with Brownrecluse tonight's episode was really fun and it had Murray (Rhys Darby) from flight of the concords in a magnificent performance.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:57 am

Tonight's episode felt off in a way.

Spoiler: show
I thought that the Trashman concept was pretty neat - kind of an amalgam of the Golem from "Kaddish" and the gargoyle from "Grotesque". Plus the way that it murdered its victims was pretty brutal.

The stuff with Scully's mom and estranged brother felt shoehorned in, especially when it tied into her grief of giving up their child.

This is 2 episodes now where baby William has been referenced, and I'd almost be willing to bet he factors into the finale.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 am

"Babylon" or "The FBI's Most Unwanted" was a lot of fun. With this episode and the spoiler for the finale, it seems like Agents Miller and Einstein will inherit the reins of the X-Files.

Kind of an interesting reversal of personalities, in that Agent Miller is the believer who shows the quiet restraint that Scully had in the early seasons of the show, while Agent Einstein is a very loud opponent of anything outside the realm of science a la how Mulder was with his obsession on the paranormal.

The entire sequence with Mulder and his "magic mushroom" trip was hilarious. And we got to see a Lone Gunman appearance!

And the finale looks pretty intense! Can't wait!

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:32 am

Crazy cliffhanger ending.

They are so totally making another season, even if it only a miniseries.

Both Duchovny and Anderson said they would do more episodes on a limited basis, and the Fox president stated that they want to do more due to the new season's runaway success.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 am

So... um...

In the premiere we had 9/11 truthers being presented as correct heroes, and now the plot hinges on the anti-vaxxer theories. I recognize that kooky conspiracies have always been a core of the show, but I really don't know how I feel about this route. Maybe because I have the niggling suspicion that Chris Carter actually subscribes to some of the real-life theories.

I also don't approve of Miller and Einstein sticking around in pivotal roles after their gimmick episode. They're just less charismatic, conventionally prettier versions of Mulder and Scully. They're Hollywood reboot material. And they had more fucking screen time in this series than Skinner. For shame.

Back to the actual plot of the episode. For a global pandemic of every person on Earth suffering the total loss of their immune systems, the scale didn't come across at all until the very last scene. It was just a few dozen people crowding up Scully's hospital while they wandered around talking about PCR and Not Alex Jones getting a bit woozy while mysteriously being the only person in the world to report on the end of everything! Yeah, yeah, budgetary concerns, I get it, it's still a low mark.

It was nice to see CSM back in full form after not appearing at all throughout this bizarre sort-of-season. His scenes with Mulder were great, even if the dialogue was atrocious in places and the sight of his Voldemort noselessness was unintentionally hilarious.

And of course, we don't get a resolution. Because Chris Carter. I'm all for new episodes, but come on, we need an actual ending at some point.

This season has just been... off. There were high points to be sure (I liked the telepathic kid episode, Guy Mann is classic, and Mulder on shrooms), but making four of the six episodes completely unrelated to the main story was a bad call, even if they did deliver some of the classic shenanigans. With such a short episode count, they should have gone for either entirely monster of the week stuff (which I would actually have loved more) or a full serialized mythology arc. Either would have had infinitely better pacing.

Also, this is just a minor thing -- was I the only one waiting for the Flukeman to pop back up? Imagine getting a modern monster-of-the-week ep about it and all of the children it no doubt had since "The Host". There's still a chance to exploit that idea, Chris! THERE'S STILL A CHANCE!

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 am

I thought the episode entitled "Home Again" would have featured the return of the Peacock family from "Home", but we got the Trashman instead.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am

Hey, look, The X-Files is back!

The entire last season finale was ALL A DREAM!

Absolutely nothing of consequence is happening!

Everything's shot in shaky cam and edited with quick cuts, because there's no time for atmosphere anymore!

Scully -- Dana Scully herself, icon of capable women in fiction -- has been retconned into being CSM's scienced-up rape victim and William being his son!

I'm just going to skip all of the Carter episodes this season!

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm

That was quite a lot to process.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Previous