The Walking Dead

What have you been watching?

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby Australia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

I rarely stop watching shows I've been watching for years because inconsistency means there'll be a gem of an episode here or there. But I do demote them to background noise if I start losing interest and I'm seriously considering doing that with this show, because while The Walking Dead has always had the one bad episode for every good one ratio, they've followed the great premiere with six of the most boring episodes of a zombie show I have ever seen. Nothing has happened in six hours. What the fuck is that about? At least this one was vaguely interesting, even if Negan has pretty much been dialled down to just House-levels of dickishness since the first episode. All threat and no follow-through. Pretty good metaphor for the show actually.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:29 pm

They could've put the latest episode directly after the premiere and kept a lot of viewers on the edge of their seat waiting for the next episode. Hey ay ay ay........

smoke weed everyday.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 am

So anyone still watching this? I'm liking this build up. I'm wondering what's going to happen when Carol finds out that Daryl wasn't exactly forthcoming when she asked how everyone is doing. Not to Daryl but to everyone who answers the question "who are you?" with "Negan". Including that one guy who said it last episdoe. Ooooooooo.

I do sometimes wish they'd have cast Rainn Wilson as Dwight in this show. And he was playing the same character from The Office but hardened by the apocalypse.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 am

I haven't watched any of the new half-season yet, because Season 7A really disappointed me with how they adapted the Negan material after the oh-so-delightful premiere. I still adore Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the role, but all of the material they're giving him that isn't pulled directly from the source material just... feels so unlike what I know Negan to be, and why I was so hyped for him to appear. And even a lot of what is pulled from the page (like the beginnings of his weird hate-friendship with Carl, and most of what he did in the mid-season finale) feels weaker thanks to AMC's profanity censorship and unwillingness to push certain content boundaries. It's as if they're trying to make up for his lack of F-bombs by upping his savagery to the nth degree.

Dwight is another disappointment, and not just because I wish his face was more fucked like it is in the comic. His actor is competent enough, but at this point in the storyline, he should be a relatively sympathetic character. The constant back-and-forth between "I'm secretly a decent guy on the inside" and "I'M THE BIGGEST DOUCHECANOE EVER BAHAAHAHAHAHA" isn't working at all.

Is the pacing at least better this half-season than the abysmal "one location per episode" slog that comprised 7A?

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

I haven't seen last nights episode yet but lemme respond to KK.

Yeah the lack of cursing is disturbing but there's only really been one serious act of violence by Negan recently. I feel like they're trying to have Jeffrey Dean Morgan play up the creepy factor. And that's working but its slightly weird to me because the Negan I know from the comics isn't as nuanced in his creepiness he's just a brash and fucking bold fucker.

Dwight they're doing a good job with. He's supposed to be sympathetic but at the same time it seems like he's being written as if doom is swiftly approaching his dumbass. Its incredibly hard to feel any sympathy for TV Dwight because he's such a weak person.

The pacing is much improved. It feels like things are building up to All Out War. A new threat was introduced which may or may not be the Whisperers. I say that because those people may or may not be the Whisperers! Well there's also the episode that introduced the Kingdom which was kind of slow paced but was a total Carol and Donatello episode so I was super okay with that.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 pm

You forgot to mention the novella-length letter a character who's been in three episodes tops left behind. Seriously, that narration felt like it took as long as Rick talking about a rock for half the episode. It's still boring for the most part, at least for me, but at least they've gone back to each episode having an awesome scene/silver lining to make watching it worth it, which was severely lacking last year and that time they all walked on train tracks for ten episodes (probably exaggerating but don't care enough to check). It's still a lot of treading water but at least there's a current moving them now, after that ridiculous scene in the "mid-season finale" where every character nodded at every other character for like three minutes and nobody thought it needed editing down.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:43 pm

It sounds like they're not handling Negan particularly well. I think overemphasising his brutality runs the risk of missing a major part of the character in the comics - the fact that, while he clearly enjoys violence and has a very low standard for what requires a violent response, he actually seems to be trying to avoid it whenever possible (which is highlighted in his very first appearance - he makes it clear that a major part of why he brutally murders one of Rick's group is actually to warn them off trying anything further, and thus limit the number of deaths in both groups overall). And to attempt to portray him as creepy further sounds like a real mischaracterisation - Negan in the comics is scary specifically because of how blunt and open he is about everything, and how genuinely warm and friendly he can sometimes be (for example, he's genuinely sorry when he makes Carl cry by insulting his eye wound). Based on what I've seen of the rest of the show, I can't say I'm surprised if they're just doing him as a straight bad guy, but it's still a little disappointing.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm

gisambards wrote:It sounds like they're not handling Negan particularly well. I think overemphasising his brutality runs the risk of missing a major part of the character in the comics - the fact that, while he clearly enjoys violence and has a very low standard for what requires a violent response, he actually seems to be trying to avoid it whenever possible (which is highlighted in his very first appearance - he makes it clear that a major part of why he brutally murders one of Rick's group is actually to warn them off trying anything further, and thus limit the number of deaths in both groups overall). And to attempt to portray him as creepy further sounds like a real mischaracterisation - Negan in the comics is scary specifically because of how blunt and open he is about everything, and how genuinely warm and friendly he can sometimes be (for example, he's genuinely sorry when he makes Carl cry by insulting his eye wound). Based on what I've seen of the rest of the show, I can't say I'm surprised if they're just doing him as a straight bad guy, but it's still a little disappointing.

Well said. I should've spotted some red flags about their handling of the character when it was said in the last season that cracking Lucille into at least one person's skull right off the bat (per the pun they insistently kept repeating) was official Savior policy that Negan likes to do for every new group, rather than something he did specifically as payback for the murdered Saviors and to swiftly, efficiently break Rick down to the optimal state of subservience. I was just too excited to see him onscreen.

Cutting things like his attempted comforting of Carl and his quick execution of the attempted rapist Savior, and replacing it with endless unfunny taunting and repeated near-murders over minor quibbles, is character assassination. They've turned him into a tyrannical caveman with almost nonexistent moral codes and motivations that change nonsensically as the plot demands it. Hell, they even feel the need to make his harem of wives creepier than it already was by making them coerced and forced slaves (thus making the guy who violently abhors rape into an actual rapist, instead of just a gross hypocrite) rather than most of them "marrying" him out of practicality and being able to leave without more consequences than going back to hard labor.

Other than the basic delight in watching Jeffrey Dean Morgan chew the scenery and the occasional spark when they do something right, I have little impetus to watch the rest of this arc, because All-Out War won't be nearly as fun without such a compelling antagonist at the helm. And I dread to see what they're going to do to the Whisperers if they've fucked up this badly with Negan.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Rick's logic this episode was impeccable.

Spoiler: show
"Hey, this group is invading our town, destroying our property, terrorising us and stealing our guns. Let's go invade a town, blow it up, threaten their lives and steal their guns. By the way, you're all changing your name to Rick now."

Sorry, I meant to say impeachable.

Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Cutting things like his attempted comforting of Carl and his quick execution of the attempted rapist Savior

Yeah..... that's why you should watch the show.
Those things happened. The attempted rape scene just happened this past episode. Carl was "comforted" a while back when he and Jesus broke into the Saviors camp.

The show has taken a different path than the comics that the timing of events and who they happen to are... different.

The attempted rapist got done in because of events that didn't happen in the comics. Obviously Carl didn't break into the Saviors lair in the comics but it showed that TV Carl is definitely worthy of Negan's respect/fear. I think they've done a great job of weaving moments from the comics into the show this season.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 am

People used to tell me they wished TWD had more action. They would say it is too boring. A post apocalyptic zombie show shouldn't be so slow paced. Well now that the show has temporarily become an orgy of gunfire the ratings are at their lowest. Now what people tell me is they used to watch TWD but
den dey kilt Glenn.

If you're not watching now, you're missing out.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 am

I dunno. I've always been a Walking Dead fan. But recently, it's been hard to get into. I find myself looking way more forward to the Exorcist every week- is anyone watching that?? It's good, and actually scary. I'm still going to watch the Walking Dead, I always will because I've been invested in it for so long, but recently it's become more like background noise, almost a chore to watch at times. I don't know how many more Rick speeches and pep-talks I can take.

What they're doing with the character of Eugene is intriguing, though I have to admit. I also appreciate that Rosita and Michonne seem to have come to their senses that running off and trying to solve all of the problems on their own isn't the practical approach anymore. I wish Darryl would learn that.

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you for posting so I didn't have to triple post. So this half season has been great but I haven't yet watched the episode from last night. But I did read the spoilers.

They killed off Carl. Idk if I can take the show seriously as a fan now. Carl is the single most badass character in the comics. I'm sure it's so the actor can attend college and this was foreshadowed over a year ago iirc by the actor and his family.

I'm ready to watch an hour long "we gon kill him" episode that will frame an entire episode around a character that won't be around for the next episode.

Now the whole thing from the comics where Carl talks to Negan and plays a huge role in his redemption will remain in print only. Imo that's a major thing that brought Rick and Negan around to realizing they've got the same goals.

I know they can do it different on TV and have been veering away from the source material but ugh.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Thank you for posting so I didn't have to triple post. So this half season has been great but I haven't yet watched the episode from last night. But I did read the spoilers.

They killed off Carl. Idk if I can take the show seriously as a fan now. Carl is the single most badass character in the comics. I'm sure it's so the actor can attend college and this was foreshadowed over a year ago iirc by the actor and his family.

I'm ready to watch an hour long "we gon kill him" episode that will frame an entire episode around a character that won't be around for the next episode.

Now the whole thing from the comics where Carl talks to Negan and plays a huge role in his redemption will remain in print only. Imo that's a major thing that brought Rick and Negan around to realizing they've got the same goals.

I know they can do it different on TV and have been veering away from the source material but ugh.

Having also been following spoilers (and shaking my head at how little of the very fast-paced "All-Out War" arc is actually being adapted between the weird junkyard hipster filler), I almost laughed out loud when I read about Carl being bitten. Because this is just an even worse version of Negan's Season 6 cliffhanger; it's not so much a "what could possibly happen next?!" situation as the withholding of the only possible scenarios. There are only two ways this can go:

A) He's actually bitten and going to die, they kill off one of their best assets and one of the best characters from the comic anticlimactically (see also: poor, poor Andrea in Season 3) and thus shoot themselves in the foot by removing what might be my favorite character dynamic between Negan and Carl -- a dynamic they already bothered to lay the groundwork for in Season 7. Although they might just give those scenes to Daryl or something like I feared in the first place.

B) He's not dead, and they either BS up a cure, have him power through it, or reveal that it wasn't even really a walker that bit him, just some random crazy Savior. The show loses all shreds of remaining storytelling credibility and the ratings continue to plummet as word-of-mouth spreads that they pulled another Glenn dumpster moment.

Either way, I eagerly look forward to hearing which one they choose as I acquire and read Volume 28 of the comic.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:41 am

I haven't read the comics so with that preface,

Y'all like carl?! I'm sure he's much better in the novel but TV carl? No. No, no, no. He is one of the most annoying characters on the show. OK, that is my personal opinion and I admit he has gotten better with the Negan storyline but almost every other thing hes done in the show has annoyed the f outa me.

Kliner, unless this is a much more sadistic marketing ploy than glens dumpster, he's gotta be dead. Carl and the actors real life dad had a bit of a rant about being fired after the episode aired. (I'll try to post the story link tomorrow, I'm being lazy)

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

PreviousNext