The Walking Dead

What have you been watching?

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby gisambards » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Regarding the placement of the cliffhanger: I think it was mishandled. The way they did it just means the only thing anyone could focus on was the not particularly interesting question of which character did he murder - instead, they could have done it in such a way (by either ending Season 6 immediately after he kills who he kills, or by ending it before he's even made it clear he's going to kill someone) that the cliffhanger is bigger than that. An example of a good end-of-season cliffhanger is Season 3 of Breaking Bad, which ends immediately after Walt and Jesse doing something we know will make Gus want to kill them. This is a better cliffhanger because the question isn't as simple as "Which character will die at the start of the next season?" but instead "How will the antagonist react to this?" That latter part is still technically there at the end of S6 of TWD - we know Negan kills at least one person, but we don't know beyond that what he'll do - but by putting on the emphasis on the mystery of who he's killed, it makes that question all anyone can think about - and it's not an interesting question, because there are no clues in the show and we know Negan picked someone effectively randomly.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:01 am

Farewells from the dead have been released. I will admit, the first one got me right in the feels.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Australia » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 am

So immediately after watching the episode, I opened up my LootCrate to find this shirt staring up at me:
Not an advertisement for LootCrate - Unless they pay me 100 yen per thumb..jpg
Not an advertisement for LootCrate - Unless they pay me 100 yen per thumb..jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 6181 times

Australia Post: Too soon?
Me:Image
Spoiler: show
This was an outstanding episode. It doesn't make up for the movie-length - that's the length of a movie - finale, where ten percent of plot occurred in comparison to this 40 minute episode. Negan is my new favourite character, despite the fact that he killed two likeable (but ultimately expendable) characters (plus Glenn implausibly escaping death only to see Maggie die would have been tragic, him surviving death just to see himself immediately die is anti-climactic and makes me think the show doesn't remotely plan ahead, given they would not have resurrected him if they knew he was going to die ten episodes later), purely because something is finally happening in this show for the first time in years and considering Rick's crew murdered a bunch of his people unprovoked and in their sleep, Negan's even justified in doing so. Maybe not justified in doing so gleefully but that's what makes it entertaining. I wasn't surprised by who died but seeing and expecting are two different things and that was a brutal scene. Obviously, as many have pointed out, it would have been a punchier ending to the season to see Abraham get Lucilled and then have the twist at the beginning of the premiere of Negan not liking Daryl and Rick's reaction and killing Glenn because people would be expecting a timejump over something like that. The way they did the cliffhanger, people were expecting everything and were thus not surprised when a couple of them happened. Good cliffhangers ask 'what will happen next?' not 'what just happened?' The only death the cliffhanger would have justified is Rick, because it would have kickstarted anarchy within the group without a leader, or literally everyone but Rick, just to destroy him permanently. This way, things plot-wise will be back to normal in two episodes, only with Negan looming over them. Which just leaves things character-wise, which they hopefully don't brush past to get back to status-quo.

Didn't mean to go back to bitching about the season 6 finale but did I mention that was a movie where literally nothing progressed? And making the deaths a flashback just doubled down on that particular copout. That whole cliche of a hero only being as good as their villain has never been more true because liking and fearing Negan has made me actually like or at least tolerate Rick for the first time in forever. He's still a complete moron, don't get me wrong, but seeing him break was actually a really impressive way of making him interesting again. Negan screwing with him the whole episode and wearing him down was that weird combination of joy and suspense. It's great to finally have an engaging character in Negan. Hopefully they don't turn him down a few notches like they did with Carol starting to feel guilt and Abe getting thrown in the most boring love triangle since... you know, this show has had a lot of boring love triangles for a show about dead cannibals now that I think about it. Of course it did give us the sick burn that's come back to bite him, since there's no chance he'll be the last man on Earth either. Too soon? The post office started it!

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 pm

I just started watching season 1. Good show so far.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Do not click the spoiler until you've seen the Season 7 premiere. You've been warned.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DanteHoratio » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 pm

My favorite character is Daryl Dixon.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 pm

DanteHoratio wrote:My favorite character is Daryl Dixon.

He was pretty awesome early on. I promise this will change shortly after Season 3.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Idk I think Daryl is really strong through season 5. He kind of becomes part of the scenery in season 6. Its like "where's Daryl?" oh there he is, he's still riding the motorcycle. I like the character. I don't want him to die but I'm not going to riot if he does.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:58 am

Screenshot_20161029-195733.jpg
Screenshot_20161029-195733.jpg (713.65 KiB) Viewed 6109 times

Last edited by BROWNRECLUSE on Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:52 am

You, uh, want to put that in spoiler tags, Recluse?

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:36 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:You, uh, want to put that in spoiler tags, Recluse?

Ok, but I'm pretty sure the whole world knows that
Harambe was shot and killed

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:25 am

But nobody wants to be reminded of it. Spoiler tags are useful for hiding things that can hurt feelings by bringing up painful memories of this awful year. It hasn't even been 6 months man!

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:36 pm

Ricks out for Harambe.

Today's episode was boring as hell, so much so that nothing even happened that would warrant spoiler tags, but as long as Chekhov's Tiger pays off at the end of this stretch of episodes, I'm sure it'll be worth the introduction.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:28 pm

Holy shit is anybody still watching this or has it made us all so lethargic that we're trying to furiously bang out posts about all the excitzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A lot of people felt Tara wasn't "ready" for her own episode whatever the fuck that means. I rather enjoyed it even though a lot of it was set in the TVtropes universe. As in:

I'm going to kill you but only after I tell you all about us.... holy shit I got tackled who saw that coming?

I like Tara because she's like a real person who is trying to stay positive in a world full of death and despair. And incredibly well acted. People I know are excited about Negan showing up again in tonight's episode. But me I'm more like...

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 pm

I haven't gotten around to watching past the first Ezekiel ep because I just have too many things to watch. I've heard it really grinds to a halt when it should be picking up speed, though, even if Jeffrey Dean Morgan continues to be utterly delightful.

The idea of a standalone Tara episode, and all I've heard about it, makes me question how long the writers plan on dragging out this phase of the show. I know pacing has always been a problem, but come on. Something To Fear is two volumes before All-Out War, and those volumes are pretty tightly focused and fast-paced.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext