Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Nah, way too much left with the character for that. I preferred the comic version anyway and there was no way they could do half the stuff on the TV show they did with him in that medium. So it's nice to see the show go off in a new direction entirely.
Especially now, that the character has practically surpassed the comic version in sheer craziness. Say what you will about the comic guy, he never did that shit from the show's finale!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 am

Aye, but if the comics are any indication, Kirkman is not one to play to people's expectations. That thing was full of loose threads that were never resolved and important characters being killed off in incredibly anti-climactic ways, which to me at least had a more ..... real, feeling to them.
I mean if ....you know, what we expected to have happened, had happened ....while we'd get a momentary high from it, as you would from watching McClane killing the last terrorist as we always knew he would at the end, it still would of been exactly what we expected to happen, you know. Doesn't seem like Kirkman's style, but sure we'll see next season. Hell maybe we'll end up getting the stereotypical showdown that goes as we'd expect, but I doubt it. Heck maybe we'll never see the guy again, I mean in real life the authorities never saw Mengele again, the more unexpected the better as far as I'm concerned, we'll have to wait and see........

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby macewindude » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:04 am

I gotta agree with Gash* on this one.

Spoiler: show
The Governor's storyline was so loosely held together that it only made sense to kill him off in the finale. The only reason to keep him around is for him to make some kind of reappearance and pose a threat to the gang but if Rick has more than 2 IQ points left after his season long meltdown then he should be anticipating an attack at all times.

What I thought was even more disappointing was
Andrea's death. I get that most people found her annoying and clueless but for as involved as she was with the story arc I expected something more than what she got. For one thing, who the hell stops to make sure the dying man isn't a zombie every two seconds? It's not like when he turned he was going to sneak up on her. She would have had plenty of notice.

I'll stop touching myself when you stop giving me a reason to.
macewindude
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu May 02, 2013 9:13 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby macewindude » Thu May 02, 2013 9:42 pm

It really is getting ridiculous. The fact that there even needs to be a distinction made on such a superficial level is insulting. It should just be "living characters" versus "undead characters".

I'll stop touching myself when you stop giving me a reason to.
macewindude
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 pm

From a purely unemotional point I don't really see it that way in the sense that in a zombie apocalypse anyone can and will die, and the zombies don't make distinctions over who they eat on racial lines. Therefore since no one is safe, seeing patterns in who survives seems futile, as the only way to avoid said patterns would be for the show's crfeators to make certain characters unkillable. For instance, if viewers complained that there's too many Frenchmen being killed off and 'What, do you guy's have a problem with Frenchmen or something?" Which could only be rectified by the writers intentionally making future Frenchman characters unkillable and therefore not let the story flow naturally.
That being said, you'd have to be pretty naive not to see the exact pattern you're talking about. I mean that prisoner dude! WTF was the that! Plus the very idea that race would even be in the minds of the characters at all during a FREAKING ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE is ludicrous to me. People would stop thinking like that very quickly, with skin colour being as important as hair or eye colour or what star sign you are. It wouldn't matter as everyone would be equally at risk. It would only matter to people who were already racist to begin with like Merle.
Like the scene were Tyrese refers to himself jokingly as a 'brother.' It just didn't seem natural to me in that world. In the comics, I can only remember two references to him being black, and those were from two racist guys. Other than that how could it matter?

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am

Aye, it's a kinda catch 22 type situation. You don't what to care what arbitrary groups the characters belong to-white, black, Swedish-one-legged-diabetic-albino etc. But you can't help caring because they're following some kind of pattern of being killed off. And the only way to stop this caring, aside from having the characters who happen to be part of these groups be unkillable, is to have more characters of said groups in the piece anyway. However if you're adding characters simply the fit the bill of having more members of said group, you're making a thing of the group which shouldn't even be a thing at all, especially in a zom-pocalypse.
The only solution I can see, other than maybe better writing which is a tad unfair of me, is to genuinely not care, form no emotional attachment to any group, and try to consciously avoid seeing any pattern. Afterall, if all this happened in real life, the people could of actually died in this order, there'd be no magic protection for any of them. Hopefully with the addition of those new characters you mentioned it won't be as much of a thing. It certainly isn't in the comics anyway.
P.S. I miss that hermit guy with the dead dog already. He was cool, and original, and crazy! They shoulda kept him! God sometimes it's the characters with the briefest appearance you end up liking the most.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BobTheZombie » Wed May 08, 2013 5:33 pm

If the next season 4 doesn't open with this then I will be disappointed.

Also, how long before the guy in the back seat bites the dust? Will he even make it to the credits of the first episode?

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Postby Revolutionist » Sun May 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Gash wrote:Anyone pissed that
the Governor survived?

No, I'm just pissed that that finale sucked.

Revolutionist
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:14 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

I watched seasons 1 to 3 of this in about 4 days, and I have to say Andrea's death was a bit disappointing, mostly because of the progression in killing skills throughout the series. I mean, by the beginning of season 3, everyone in the show can fire six rounds and get six head-shots, and nearly all of the main characters can crush a zombie's skull either by stomping on it once or twice or by swinging a baseball bat, even one-handed. She'd already made her way all the way to the prison, set up traps, etc., with what was basically a pen-knife, and then the final duel takes place behind closed doors?

Since it was Milton's own little theory, that would have been a great place to have a zombie show some kind of recollection and use it in a battle, which would be a good set-up for the next season. The writers have already upped their strength (like when one opened Dale up like a potato chip bag), upped their numbers (with the swarms in season 2), and they've been increasing their speed throughout the series (except when the living are fighting the living, at which point they slow down); increased intelligence is probably the next step to make the undead seem threatening. Well, either that or really well-dressed zombies, but that would be silly.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby BobTheZombie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah Andrea's death was pretty crap considering the ease with which she was killing zombies at the beginning. A better death would have been Milton showing signs of intelligence. Like he chooses not to attack her or he get's up and tries the door handle before he kills her. Just something to let people know change is coming. That finale has to be one of the most anticlimactic I've ever seen. I understand a quieter episode after the previous one but it just seemed like it was stretched way too much to make it an episode.

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Next