The Walking Dead

What have you been watching?

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:17 am

VERY late thoughts on "No Way Out", a day before the next episode airs. Gotta keep this thread active in preparation for the oncoming storm that is ma boi Negan.

Spoiler: show
Well, first off, rip in peace Ron, Sam, and (the single tragedy of the three) Jessie. I saw the bloodbath coming, as did many, but it was exceptionally well executed all the same. And Carl got shot in the fucking eye! I also saw this coming because of the comics and a loudmouth imbecile at school spoiling that it would happen in this first episode, but still! Wow!

This episode might as well have been titled "Useless / Annoying Characters Finally Step The Fuck Up". Father Gabriel successfully transports Judith and then finally fights back, Eugene and other shunted characters hold their own at Rick's side, Little Miss MY PARENTS ARE DEAD FEEL MY SUFFERING takes some initiative with Glenn, etc, etc.

Now, something rather curious. As of this episode, all three of the built-up potential bridging antagonists to lead up to Negan's arrival have been killed off. Motorcyle Guy (apparently not the same guy as Wade from the Saviors' introductory episode, as I had previously presumed) got blown the fuck up (R.I.P., you were very entertaining for that one scene), Ron got his just desserts, and most anticlimactically of all, the Alpha Wolf got bit, shot from out of nowhere by Carol, and put down for good by Morgan. Who or what are Rick and crew meant to deal with before Jeffrey Dean Morgan makes his debut as Negan in the finale?

Overall, the episode wasn't without the usual flaws (did we really need another brief fake-out Glenn death?), but this was one of the best episodes in recent memory. I have high hopes for this half of the season.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:48 pm

The episode KleinerKiller is referring to made me think there was an internal struggle with the writing staff. Its like characters and scenes that were built up were quickly torn down in a reboot-ish fashion. Spoilers ahead:
Its like they felt they were written into a corner in some ways. Like they didn't want to saddle Rick with a new "family" all of a sudden so boom they're gone. How to end the scene with the motorcycles? Rocket launcher, because its too soon to introduce Negan for some reason. The wolf dude was kidnapping the only person with medical training and they spent many episodes setting this up... just for Carol to be Carol and "nope" his ass with a bullet. Speaking of Carol, omg. So gangsta. Telling Morgan that she should have killed him. With her back turned to him no less. But my point is that a whole lot of quick tearing down happened to things that were slowly built up. I'm not upset or pleased because I'm a fan either way, its just an observation.

The latest episode introduced Jesus. So I'm guessing the Hilltop or whatever they'll call it will be seen soon and we'll find out about these other groups of survivors. I like how everything went down with Jesus and how he's written as a ninja. More spoilers:
Now this episode had rapid rebuilding. My only problem is that if you want to show a lot of things happening in a short amount of time, and with every shot you show a little improvement to show it all would take too long.... YOU'RE GONNA NEED A MONTAGE! MONTAGE! Even Rocky had a montage...

Oh and Rick and Michonne hooked up. And a bunch of fanfic writers are probably preparing a class action suit against Robert Kirkman as a result. This makes sense. Their relationship in the comic is strictly friends but that's because Rick has Andrea as his lover. Andrea be dead on TV so she no good for lovin'. On AMC at least.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:52 am

When you said "I guess Hilltop will be introduced soon", I bet you weren't expecting it in the next episode. Fucking rad is what that was. And the Savior conflict is already boiling with Rick and the main group after Bud's (aka Motorcycle Guy's) anticlimactic incineration two episodes ago.

This half of the season is moving right along at the brisk pace the show would really have benefitted from in reviled seasons like the second. I love it. And the higher quality bodes even better for the introduction of Negan whom I refuse to shut up about until he storms onto the scene and does what Negan does with that barbed wire baseball bat that Negan does Negan stuff with. Negan Negan.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm worried that a lack of cursing will keep Negan from being Negan. Also there's a theory as to why the pace has quickened.... a film theory.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:18 pm

I also worry, as iMURDAu suggests, that Negan - who is a genuinely amazing character - will be held back by both the constraints of television, and will also be in some way unnecessarily different. Negan won't be able to swear as much, and that was a surprisingly powerful part of the character. Also, if what happens in his first scene in the comics happens in the show, it will probably lose something through not being able to be as shockingly violent.
He will also, much like the Governor, probably just be different in some way, when he doesn't really need to be.

Full disclosure: I don't watch the show, but I love the comics. I would like to watch the show if I have time, but what I've seen of it seems - while not bad - sort of different to the comics tonally in a way I don't like. Obviously not to the degree of World War Z's "adaptation", but even so. I might be wrong about that, though - I've only seen clips.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 am

gisambards wrote:I also worry, as iMURDAu suggests, that Negan - who is a genuinely amazing character - will be held back by both the constraints of television, and will also be in some way unnecessarily different. Negan won't be able to swear as much, and that was a surprisingly powerful part of the character. Also, if what happens in his first scene in the comics happens in the show, it will probably lose something through not being able to be as shockingly violent.

I'm also worried about the profanity, but there's some hope. Google "walking dead negan swearing" and there are loads of interviews and such where the issue is addressed. Example:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan wrote:"We're going to push AMC - the plan is to push them as far as they can because it's who Negan is. He uses some colorful language. And I use some colorful language. And reading the comic, it's important. So we'll see where that lands. It's our intention that this character is going to leap off the pages of the comic book. It's very important that that's who it is. Some of the characters there's much more leeway, but Negan is a guy that you want to keep as true as possible, and that would be how I want to play him as well."

Obviously there's not going to be a constant storm of F-bombs, but I'm sure they can find some way to work through it since it's so important to everyone involved. Interestingly, they've actually shot two different versions of the iconic debut scene, one with all of the F-bombs translated mostly verbatim from the comic and one with them toned down. It's apparently still undecided which one will be aired.

And if you're worried about the shocking violence of Negan's introduction, that's all up to the special effects team. Certain sights throughout this season especially have demonstrated that the network censors don't give a fraction of a rat's ass about cutting out gory sights. If the necessary prosthetics work and whatnot is as realistic as it has been, it'll be something not easily forgotten.

gisambards wrote:He will also, much like the Governor, probably just be different in some way, when he doesn't really need to be.

The problem with the Governor was that the show was still finding its legs (something I don't believe happened until midway through Season 4), and they cast the wrong man -- though he did his best -- and made the wrong scripting decisions dealing with him. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, meanwhile, was a fan-favorite casting choice before it was officially announced, and both he and AMC have said many a time that they're sticking "as close as humanly possible" to the character. Morgan especially seems personally invested in portraying him accurately, so we can hope.

gisambards wrote:Full disclosure: I don't watch the show, but I love the comics. I would like to watch the show if I have time, but what I've seen of it seems - while not bad - sort of different to the comics tonally in a way I don't like. Obviously not to the degree of World War Z's "adaptation", but even so. I might be wrong about that, though - I've only seen clips.

Like I said, starting roughly around the midseason finale of Season 4, it gets much closer to the pacing and brutality of the comics. Still not completely loyal, but tolerably so. The farm and Woodbury seasons turned a lot of people off, but aside from some slip-ups now and then, it's pretty great these days.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Speak of the Jeffrey Dean Morgan and he shall appear in my YouTube feed.

I don't care that this is completely irrelevant to the show. It's glorious.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:43 am

Obviously there's not going to be a constant storm of F-bombs

There should be. I fear we're looking at mute Deadpool all over again with a fuckless fuck on AMC.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm

I told my wife that if Carol was a real person I don't know if our marriage would last. I just hope they're not going to let her have a conscience for very long but then again that's another layer to the character. I still stand by my statement that if she gets killed off I'll quit watching. There were two close calls in the last episode and they were high tension for me like I was watching my favorite team in Game 7 triple overtime of the Stanley Cup Finals have pucks clang off their goalpost twice. Bad analogy I guess but idk how else to describe it.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:44 am

Death and despair! Death and despair!

More or less.

They brought back Dwight in this episode, now resembling his comic incarnation with the wicked burnt face. And of course, in the comics, Dwight properly introduces himself by sending an arrow through Abraham's face, setting the stage for his morally grey conflict dynamics with both groups later on. That looked to be what was going on here.

But instead, he wastes Denise. Denise. Not Abraham. Denise.

I don't care about Denise, and nobody is going to put Denise higher up in their list of favorite characters than Abraham. Killing off a semi-major character people kinda-sorta care about isn't a great way to connect audiences to this guy as an object of distrust. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Abraham around still, because he's Abraham, but it's a duller impact than the shocking scene from the source material. So... I don't know about this.

God willing, the Negan kill makes up for it, whoever it is that's going to fall victim to his bat (it probably won't line up with the comic's kill). If they choose to finally spill Daryl's blood at that point as some rumors indicate, I will be very pleased.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm

:(

Why must you leave us Carol? *baby come back ahhh*

:cry:

That felt so tacked on. And it hurts like it was literally tacked onto me. Now I have to worry about her dying or showing up in a later episode as a random walker. I can't take this stress Kirkman you fucker!

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 am

Hey, you know who's definitely not dead?

Daryl.

Next week is the big Negan kill (MA HOME BOIII), and I'm still subscribing to the theory that Daryl will be the one to fall to his bat instead of the comics victim, because it is high time he took off. But regardless, even if that isn't true, no way would the writers kill off Daryl "If He Dies We Riot" Dixon like that. Not so suddenly, not so anticlimactically, and not so close to the death of another major character which would be dulled all to hell if Daryl just bit it beforehand.

Yeah, they have Dwight mockingly say he'll be fine, but the intent from a creative standpoint is clearly for the effect of another Glenn fake-out, except it'll last an even shorter timespan (presuming that isn't where they leave Daryl and Dwight's scenes until next season).

But regardless of that, NEXT SUNDAY IS FUCKIN' NEGAN BITCHES GET READY FOR THE HOME RUN SWING OF THE CENTURY.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Now we all assume Negan is going to do his thang. But lately this show is using the old WWF Raw method of storytelling. Big lead up to the end with plenty of action and exposition but BAH GAWD TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO GET ANY RESOLUTION. So it wouldn't shock me if the season ends with Lucille pointing skyward and we have to wait until October to see a head essplode.

The implied shooting at the end of the latest episode was weak imo. Just trying to rile the fanbase and build hype for something that doesn't really need more hype.

There was a lot of foreshadowing in this episode. The talk between Rick and Morgan regarding rehabilitation and the value of keeping people alive is just
planting seeds in Rick's head. Because anyone who is up to date in the comics knows that Negan gets put in a basement cell in Alexandria after All Our War happens. Oh and he got freed in the latest issue. I can't wait to see what happens with that.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:07 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Now we all assume Negan is going to do his thang. But lately this show is using the old WWF Raw method of storytelling. Big lead up to the end with plenty of action and exposition but BAH GAWD TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO GET ANY RESOLUTION. So it wouldn't shock me if the season ends with Lucille pointing skyward and we have to wait until October to see a head essplode.

That, at least, we know is almost certainly false. All of the interviews with AMC peoples and Jeffrey Dean Morgan point to the big death being the pivotal moment of Season 6 and what everything has been building up to. It'd be a waste of his presence to essentially cut his material in half right off the bat, it would confuse non-comic readers who still have to be sold on Negan being a danger, and it wouldn't make a lick of sense from a pacing standpoint given how the sequence of events following plays out.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm placing bets all over the board so don't mind me. I'm firmly in the camp of nobody dies or its out of Daryl, Carol, Morgan, or Maggie. Wouldn't that be the most villainous move? Yet have the easy out of "he dinn't kno she was pregs!" to make him redeemable in the future :o . I really hope it isn't Michonne because she's a badass.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext