Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Spoilers I guess?)

What have you been watching?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Spoilers I guess?)

Postby Kate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:42 pm

It's overrated.

There, I said it. People say it's great, but they're probably wrong. I'm not knocking Robert Downey Jr. or Val Kilmer, or even the girl that plays the chick in the sexy Mrs. Clause getup.

But I am saying it's a movie about people who aren't that likable. The pace is far too slow. I was so happy when I realized it must be almost over, it had been at least two hours...but no. No, it's only been 40 minutes. I'm just bored as all get out.

Basically,
Spoiler: show
a thief (RDJ) lucks into the Hollywood crowd and then has some zany adventures after witnessing some bad guys trying to dump a body. It's complicated because his old childhood flame shows up and thinks he's a P.I. so he fakes it to investigate the death of her sister, but less complicated because very conveniently, it's all connected. Now that I think about it, this movie is slightly more entertaining if I imagine that this is Forest Gump in an alternate universe. I will say that it was interesting to try and figure out what's going on, and there's enough action in there that I really don't understand how it can move at a snail's pace, but there it is.

The banter is pretty great, but it gets old fast. It's like watching the Gilmore Girls if Lorelei and Rory were backstabbing trollops caught up in a web of deception. Alright, so it's like watching the Gilmore Girls.

Any thoughts? What am I missing here?

Last edited by Kate on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Spoilers I guess?)

Postby NisiOptimum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 pm

I really liked it although I agree that it's about unlikeable people. But lot's of great comedy can come from watching unlikeable people (arrested development, Seinfeld). I suppose the difference is the point where the characters stop annoying each other and start annoying you but for me KKBB stayed on the right side of that line

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

Re: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Spoilers I guess?)

Postby Blackfish » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm

It also helps if you like noir, because a large part of its charm is how it plays with conventions of that genre. A lot of plot details aren't supposed to make complete sense necessarily, but lampoon the conventions of noir potboilers.

I just can't agree that they're unlikable. RDJ's character is such a decent person, even if in an old-fashioned kind of way. And smart chicks are my catnip. Or maybe it's because it's Robert Downey Jr and Michelle Monaghan, and these two are just good in everything and impossible to hate. (Seriously, I watched the Heartbreak Kid just the other day, Michelle Monaghan totally saved that movie from being unwatchable. Same in Eagle Eye.) And I just love a gay character that isn't stereotypically gay.

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race