Favourite Movie Scores

What have you been watching?

Favourite Movie Scores

Postby ToixStory » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:50 pm

I think we can all agree that a certain part of movie magic is the musical score that fits so well to a certain scene or action that your brain pleasure centers light up like a hillbilly mishandling thermite. So, what is your favorite musical score or composer?

There are a ton to pick, but my personal favorite is always going to be the tear-jerkingly beautiful soundtrack to The Shawshank Redemption from composer Thomas Newman.

I make maps and map accessories.
ToixStory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: Movie Scores

Postby El Coyote » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 am

I think Braveheart has a great soundtrack. I admit that this was the first time a movie made me cry. It was the music that did it for me, especially the bagpipes blasting at the very end when the Scotsmen charge.

I also think that Kingdom of Heaven had a pretty neat soundtrack. I think it really conveys the mysticism of religion and the Arab culture.

There once was a guy called Coyote
Whose voice was a dose of peyote
His smooth mellow tones
Caused such flutters and moans
That the chat got all rapt and emote-y
- OrangeEyebrows

The Second Part of the Western Epic by El Coyote and JamesT
El Coyote
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Son of the Desert

Postby NisiOptimum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 am

Moon had a great soundtrack as you'd expect for something directed by David Bowie's son.

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

Postby gregfrankenstein » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:56 am

Henry motherfucking Mancini. Is that even a question?

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby dargonhuman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:10 am

If a movie score is doing its job, then I probably won't notice it during the movie, but I do have a few movie OSTs on my mp3 player, those being Star Trek: First Contact, Lord of the Rings, Ghostbusters I and II and the two Veggietales theatrical releases, so I guess those.

dargonhuman
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Ivan Vodkov » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:03 am

Just rewatched Man on Fire yet again. It has one of the best scores in history, no joke. Also, this:

EDIT: HOLY HELL HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT THIS ONE:

... and basically every Morricone score ever. Even when the others try to imitate him, it usually ends up good:

Vodkov isn't my real last name, but I fucking wish it was.
Ivan Vodkov
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby HarpingCarp » Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm

El Coyote wrote:I think Braveheart has a great soundtrack. I admit that this was the first time a movie made me cry. It was the music that did it for me, especially the bagpipes blasting at the very end when the Scotsmen charge.

Me too! Goddamn, Braveheart was awesome.

Gattaca's OST is one of my favourite soundtracks, composed by Michael Nyman:

Kate threatened me to take it down. I need an adult.

Spoiler: show
<Kateness> Carp
<Kateness> Change your damn sig.
<Kateness> Hate Week's over
<Kateness> I swear to God I'll start editing links to your indiscretion with a pirate, in everything.
HarpingCarp
In The Soul Stone
In The Soul Stone

Show rep
Title: The Carpfather

Postby LaoWai » Sat May 04, 2013 10:58 pm

On a vaguely related note, I can remember one time watching an older film with my brother and feeling completely unmoved. We were basically MST3K-ing throughout the film. During what was clearly meant to be a particularly suspenseful moment, either he or I suddenly noticed why the movie was so odd: "There's no music!" Nothing has ever brought home the importance of a good soundtrack better than that experience. (The movie was basically an "Attack of the ____," where the monsters were plant-like aliens, and the finale takes place in a lighthouse, where it's discovered that the creatures' weakness is salt water. If anyone knows the proper title of the movie, tell me, and I'l promise you a good night of loving in return...or, well, maybe a Snickers bar or something.)

The only soundtrack I own is the one from "Edward Scissorhands." I love me some Danny Elfman.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby ToixStory » Sun May 05, 2013 1:25 am

LaoWai wrote:On a vaguely related note, I can remember one time watching an older film with my brother and feeling completely unmoved. We were basically MST3K-ing throughout the film. During what was clearly meant to be a particularly suspenseful moment, either he or I suddenly noticed why the movie was so odd: "There's no music!" Nothing has ever brought home the importance of a good soundtrack better than that experience. (The movie was basically an "Attack of the ____," where the monsters were plant-like aliens, and the finale takes place in a lighthouse, where it's discovered that the creatures' weakness is salt water. If anyone knows the proper title of the movie, tell me, and I'l promise you a good night of loving in return...or, well, maybe a Snickers bar or something.)

The only soundtrack I own is the one from "Edward Scissorhands." I love me some Danny Elfman.

Oh boy, I know the one. You're talking about Day of the Triffids. I remember reading the book and being so excited they turned it into a movie...only to find out it was just made into monster shlock. Terrific novel, though.

I make maps and map accessories.
ToixStory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: Favourite Movie Scores

Postby LaoWai » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 pm

@ToixStory, that was indeed the one. I popped up some popcorn and watched that thing through during the afternoon--horrible movie, but nice memories. After that, because it's the next suggestion on the list, I went through the 2009 BBC mini-series version. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the book, but for three or so hours it was damned entertaining

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Re: Favourite Movie Scores

Postby Nullbert » Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I always thought the score for Once Upon A Time In The West was awesome, also...

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard