Better Call Saul?

What have you been watching?

Re: Better Call Saul?

Postby gisambards » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:32 am

I gave up on this show half-way through the latest episode. There wasn't any big "this is crap" moment, or anything, but it just suddenly occurred to me that I literally didn't care what happened next to any of the characters. Has anyone else found this season dull?

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:40 pm

I stopped watching too, for the same reason. Nothing exciting is happening.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Mike's story is interesting, Jimmy's story is going to pick up next episode, given the appearance of a certain colored suit.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 pm

So, it wasn't what I expected, but Jimmy's story is no longer meandering,
Spoiler: show
what with him getting himself fired from Davis and Mayne and starting a new law firm with Kim

And it's basically showing a complete character change for Jimmy. Originally starting out as a guy who strives to do the right thing at any cost, the by the book law firm holding him back, as well as Chuck's manipulations have jaded him. His identity in the field of law had been suppressed, and now he's all about his way, at any cost.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:So, it wasn't what I expected, but Jimmy's story is no longer meandering,
what with him getting himself fired from Davis and Mayne and starting a new law firm with Kim

A quibble
A key point of the episode is that he can't do things the right way. So Kim refuses to be his law partner, but does agree to start her own firm and share office space. Poor Kim. I'm not sure how she'll pay off her student debt now, and don't see this turning out well for her.

Also, in the intro, we see the very moment Jimmy started down the road to "Slipping Jimmy." I'm not 100% sure I buy it (I figure it's more his personality than any one incident or even a string of them, but I don't think I really have to.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:53 am

So...
Chuck keeps Kim from taking Mesa Verde with her, and while his arguments are perfectly sensible, the way he makes them is really obnoxious and manipulative. He spends a hour with electricity and has a complete breakdown, and I just realized I have no idea how he can stand the electronics on cars. (His disease is psychosomatic, but you'd think he'd know that cars have electronic parts.)

Jimmy exploits the resulting hours Chuck spends in a stupor to carefully forge documents with a careless error (transposition of two digits in an address), and since this is the eighth episode, we know it's going to end with him getting caught, likely in the tenth episode or at the very end of the ninth. Since Jimmy committed a disbarrable offense and Chuck wants to see Jimmy disbarred, it's unlikely that Jimmy left clear evidence, however Chuck might find a crumpled post-it on his floor? Or maybe he just suspects?

The question is: does Chuck find out but find himself unable to prove anything, or does Jimmy tell Kim and Kim explode at him for violating their agreement? And if Chuck finds out, does Kim explode at Jimmy anyways?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 am

So, that ending scene,
with Jimmy indirectly inflicting head trauma on Chuck through bribing the FedEx guy
was really reminiscent of
Walter White letting Jane Margolis die

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:55 am

So that finale
It became obvious the moment Chuck said he was retiring what he was up to. I also feel like it's crossing the moral event horizon for Chuck. Yes, Jimmy committed a felony, but Chuck is not only willing to ruin his brother; he's willing to play on his emotions, knowing that his brother wants to do the right thing to accomplish it.

Since we know that Jimmy doesn't get disbarred, we know that the evidence doesn't hold up. My guess is that Jimmy claims he said all of it to make Chuck feel better and that's sufficient reasonable doubt, but the controversy leads to the name change. Alternatively, perhaps he hires Mike to steal the tape.

The question is just how much collateral damage occurs in the process. Jimmy's relationship with Kim is toast; Ernesto's job might be too. I can even see Howard, despite losing such a major client, being appalled at the tactics Chuck used to get the tape, hurting his relationship with Chuck.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 am

Well, we're certainly off to a good start,
what with Chuck officially becoming a full on villain and Mike tracking down the person who left a note on his car.

Also,
Gus Fring next episode!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 am

I'm not clear on
why Chuck wants Ernesto to hear Jimmy's confession.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:46 am

cmsellers wrote:
I'm not clear on
why Chuck wants Ernesto to hear Jimmy's confession.

He doesn't? He screams at him to shut it off the moment the tape starts playing. Or am I seriously misinterpreting something?

I really liked the episode, but it goes in a direction that the whole show has been going so far: Mike's so incredibly awesome that I care less and less what goes on with Saul and just want a show about Mike. Same problem I had with the Punisher in DD.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm fairly sure it was intentional.
1. He tells Howard that he can see a use for the tape.
2. The situation seems very carefully contrived. It's very convenient that Ernesto happens to hear just the right part of the confession.
3. He goes on about client confidentiality without saying that Jimmy is a client. He therefore insinuates without lying that this was a confession Jimmy made, on the record, in confidence.
4. He smirks afterwards.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:55 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Well, we're certainly off to a good start,
what with Chuck officially becoming a full on villain and Mike tracking down the person who left a note on his car.

Also,
Gus Fring next episode!

Gus is the guy Mike is tracking down. I guarantee it. The only other person who could possibly be bugging Mike's car is Nacho, and this is just not Nacho's style. Nacho would call a meeting with Mike directly. Meet him face to face. Also, while Nacho is smart, he isn't smart smart. If he bugged Mike's car, he'd probably just put it somewhere obvious that Mike would find right away.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:31 am

Holy fuck, Chuck!
You're annoying in just how right you are about Jimmy's behavior, and infuriating in your "we're officers of the court" smugness. Interestingly, the anger would seem to give Jimmy a defense against the truth of the tape, though not against breaking and entering, trespassing, and destruction of property.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext