Game of Thrones [Spoilers heavy]

What have you been watching?

Re: Game of Thrones [Spoilers heavy]

Postby Aquila89 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Australia wrote:Eh, I liked the finale.

I'm not going to argue with you. If you liked it, you're an idiot with no taste and you can't be reasoned with

I'm sorry, my inner angry fanboy took over. I whacked him on the head with the hardcover edition of A Dance with Dragons. I think he's dead now.

What I meant to say was: I'm not going to argue with you. If you liked it, good for you. I wish I could've.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Thu May 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Yeah, I totally get why people don't like it but I was invested in the characters the whole way through and nothing was so glaring it took me out of the show. I guess I'm just not bothered with petty stuff like logic or quality.

Can we at least agree Cleganebowl lived up to the hype?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 pm

No, I'm afraid we can't even agree on that one. I was never hyped for Cleganebowl, so I didn't really care. I though the Mountain looked ridiculous without his armor, not scary, he reminded me of Drax the Destroyer.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 pm

I was hyped about Cleganebowl, and I'm glad it happened, but the constant intermingling of Arya getting trampled kind of ruined it. Would it have left me satisfied if not for that? I'm honestly not sure. Eventually, I'm sure someone will post a recut version on YouTube, and I'll let you know.

The only thing I was really happy with in the last three episodes was the scene leading up to where Jon stabs Dany. The whole "two people having the same conversation about different things" is kind of a trope, but I thought it worked well. I was also satisfied, on a visceral level, by Dany destroying the Iron Fleet and all the scorpions. Not happy, because they went from ridiculously OP to useless faster than the Dothraki on an open field, but watching them all burn was nice.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Marcuse » Fri May 24, 2019 11:53 am

Eventually, I'm sure someone will post a recut version on YouTube, and I'll let you know.

That already exists on YouTube, I've seen it myself.

That said, the point of Cleganebowl runs counter to everything GRRM writes about revenge, which is that it is a foolish thing to do that only results in more suffering. Honestly, Robert Strong isn't even really Gregor any more. It's strongly implied in the book that Robert Strong doesn't have the same head as Gregor, given the skull of the Mountain (of monstrous size) is sent with Balon Swann to Dorne to appease them. Sandor in the book is still dead, and even if he comes back I don't see how it'll give any kind of satisfaction for him to kill an undead that sort of resembles his brother.

If you want to take a potshot at the quality of the show, you can just take Dany's Darth Vader speech to the Dothraki and Unsullied on the steps of the Red Keep. She delivers the speech in High Valyrian, which the Unsullied understand, but literally nobody else. The Dothraki (certainly the general population) won't, and Jon, Arya and Tyrion don't either. Yet the show wants us, the viewers who get a subtitled representation, to fill in the blanks because we understand to extrapolate that the characters are referring to something we know. All of the talk about what Dany was saying during that speech is breaking the fourth wall unknowingly, because unless the characters are aware the audience understands the content of her speech it makes no sense for them to be discussing the content of a speech given in a language none of the conservants understand. Yes it's possible to retcon that they somehow learned High Valyrian somewhere, but it's never spoken in Westeros and none of the characters we're expecting to understand it express anything to indicate they do. They just need to because the plot demands it and reasonable practical concerns are thrown in the bin as a result of needing to end the show as soon as possible.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Marcuse wrote:That said, the point of Cleganebowl runs counter to everything GRRM writes about revenge, which is that it is a foolish thing to do that only results in more suffering.

The show, however, long ago threw away this message when it had Sansa feed Ramsay to his own dogs and Arya tricking Walder Frey into eating the flesh of his sons, and both of these were played as cool moments.

Before this episode, the resurrected Mountain wasn't even interested in fighting his brother. At the Dragonpit meeting, the Hound walked up to him and threatened him; the Mountain didn't react. But now, all of a sudden he's so eager to get at this brother that he abandons his queen and kills his creator, even though he had been nothing but perfectly obedient before. Why? Because Cleganebowl was hyped so it has to happen, even if it doesn't make sense.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Fri May 24, 2019 5:52 pm

I thought the tone of Dany's fascist speech was apparent, regardless of subtitles and Tyrion had to convince Jon to go against his definition of what's right by pointing that out - did that monologue that had the distinct sound of a battle speech sound like she was done? It's not like they were quoting passages, they just had context and someone who felt guilty about committing a war crime probably wouldn't be up there congratulating themselves. But I guess someone who's enjoying the show is more likely to go along with a scene than someone who isn't.

Qyburn's death was my favourite of the season and I didn't mind the intercutting of Arya with Cleganebowl. I mean it might have been hitting other people over the head with the diverting roads of vengeance ending in blood and repressing that impulse ending in hope (fuck, it was good to see a character finally get some good luck at the end of the ep) but I was too absorbed to notice. Maybe it's because Arya and the Hound are two of my three favourite characters but the shared screentime didn't bother me. "Fucking die!"

Guess I'm easy to please. Sucks people don't like it.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Previous