Doctor Who?

What have you been watching?

Doctor Who?

Postby AboveGL » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm

I've started watching this show's revival from the start and I really enjoy it. Apparently I'm not the only one and combined with the absence of a thread, here we are. I''m on the last episode of series 1. I quite like Eccleston's portrayal of the Ninth Doctor but he's apparently dwarfed by Tennant (according to my younger brother) so I look forward to seeing him.

From what I've seen so far, each individual storylines are very well written and the characters are lovable. I guess that makes for any awesome show.

So, who else loves?

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: Doctor Who?

Postby LaChaise » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:14 pm

I do! Of all the new doctors, Eccleston might be the less appealing, but I feel that's because he only had one season, and lacked more development.

I watched all of them since the 1963 ones and I find that the revival respects the spirit of the series, unlike many other revivals in all kinds of mediums.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Typical Michael » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:34 pm

I really liked Eccleston's portrayal, because I enjoyed his intensity. He was my first Doctor, though, so I didnt have much to compare it to. His episodes against the Daleks were some of the best.

DT was a lot of fun, but he was seems to just be always having fun. Someone with that sort of power and responsibility should just get angry sometimes. It happened, but not often.

I really like the way Matt Smith has done it. He can be funny, charming, goofy, serious, and angry all in the same episode. You never know what's gonna happen.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby LaChaise » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Agreed Michael. Matt Smith is becoming my favorite Doctor of all times episode by episode. Not only do I like him, but his companions rock soooo hard.
Spoiler: show
Especially when you compare them to Rose or Martha..

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 pm

I really liked Eccleston's portrayal, because I enjoyed his intensity. He was my first Doctor, though, so I didnt have much to compare it to. His episodes against the Daleks were some of the best.

This pretty much. Also:

I love that moment from the episode "Bad Wolf" where the Doctor is almost evicted. That cracks me up every time.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm more of a Tom Baker fan. Matt Smith's pretty good though.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tablo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

David Tennant is still the best doctor and i stopped watching the show a few series into the matt Smith series due to missing too many episodes and not bothering to catch up however i think i will try catch up on BBC 3.

OrangeEyebrows wrote:Tablo, the resident shrink
Will cure all your ills in a blink
(If you're weird or you're lazy:
If actually crazy
You're better off turning to drink)

My therapy thread
Nothing to see here keep moving ,you signature looking looker.
Tablo
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Table,Therapist and ladies man

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

I think I'm a rarity in that I rather enjoyed the 3rd doctor as well as Tom Baker. As for the rehashing, I loved David Tennant but Matt Smith has really come into his own. I must say, companion wise, I could not stand Rose (though her voice was not near as annoying as Zoe-a companion from the 2nd doctor). Seriously thought her mouth was going to snap at the cracks and she'd start eating peoples faces. My sister rather liked Donna. I'm a Rory fan, myself.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 pm

For your amusement.

Attachments
TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 pm

sunglasses wrote: I'm a Rory fan, myself.

Same here, Sunglasses. One of my favorite scenes is when he goes to the Cybermen's ship dressed in full centurion. Such a bad-ass!

Thats not really a spoiler.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Nostraa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 pm

I've noticed that Matt Smith seems old sometimes. That's what I really like about him. Even though he has a young face he can carry himself like an elderly person. I dunno that is just my feeling. Has anyone else noticed that?

Nostraa
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: The Beast of Reflection

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Typical Michael wrote:
sunglasses wrote: I'm a Rory fan, myself.

Same here, Sunglasses. One of my favorite scenes is when he goes to the Cybermen's ship dressed in full centurion. Such a bad-ass!

LOVE him as the Centurion.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Nostraa wrote:I've noticed that Matt Smith seems old sometimes. That's what I really like about him. Even though he has a young face he can carry himself like an elderly person. I dunno that is just my feeling. Has anyone else noticed that?

Yeah I really like that too. It's like he can be serious like Eccleston, zany like Tennant, but still feels the weight of the years and is somewhat tired of fighting at times.
He's a really complete doctor.

LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby Psychosassic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Love this show. Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor of the new series, and possibly of the show overall. Eccleston was interesting, and I liked him more than I originally thought I would. Tennant was okay, but he kind of lost me when he started pining over Rose. Donna was a nice breath of fresh air in the middle of his run.

Everything else courtesy of Psychosassic Enterprises and the cooperation of Viewers Like You.
Psychosassic
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Secretly Living in Your Home

Postby Big.bird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 am

I love this show, and am excited for the current series. Matt Smith is the best doctor, and the new companion seems pretty good so far.
SPOILER

I hope they pick up that plotline from a while back, about the question that must never be asked. I was really disappointed when they suddenly dropped it and it was all about the Ponds again.

There once was a fellow, Big Bird
Whose comments were strange and absurd
Though he lived upside down
Like some New Zealand clown
He was totally our kind of nerd
This Limerick brought to you by the wonderful Orange, ah ah ah.
Big.bird
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Next