Doctor Who?

What have you been watching?

Re: Doctor Who?

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:02 am

A new trailer has just dropped for the Christmas Special. It has all the hallmarks of a Moffat swansong:

1. Sherlock writers inserted into the cast. Mark Gatiss is back, and this time playing some other ignorant British soldier. I have to wonder why he bothers to write/play people like that if he has so little an estimation of them.

2. Old Who nostalgia. Obviously having the first Doctor in the episode is excuse enough to have old footage from missing episodes shoehorned in to make people feel like superfans because they saw some old footage.

3. Bill. Yeah he can't stop with his companions that get everything. He manages to work Bill back into the series purely to give her a positive send-off from the series where she can cuddle the Doctor and tell him all about how she's an immortal fuel-monster now. Great, just what we wanted to see.

4. Indistinct weirdness happening mainly because it's convenient to the plot rather than sensible. I don't know, but it seems like a crutch to stop Capaldi regenerating that time just stops. I don't also know how he's not kinda just dying given he was shot by Cybermen a lot. The whole thing feels like he wanted this big bittersweet end for him but chickened out and now wants the fluffy ending he prefers.

All in all, doesn't fill me with hope. But it's a Christmas special, so it doesn't need to be much more than entertaining. As long as it's not that godawful superhero one.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 am

Why the fuck is this a multi-doctor special again. They've already done it like 2 fucking years ago.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 am

phpBB [video]

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby SandTea » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:35 am

That vid makes me laugh every time.

In other news, Bradley Walsh is rumored to be the new companion.
Spoiler: show

It has emerged that The Chase host previously appeared in spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures as a villain named Odd Bob the Clown.

The BBC haven’t confirmed reports that Walsh has been cast as Jodie Whittaker’s companion, but it seems unlikely that he would reprise his former role.

Also, to my great disappointment-

Matt Lucas has confirmed that the season 10 finale was his last appearance as Nardole.

Michelle Gomez has on several occasions said that she is finished playing Missy, but has conceded that she could “maybe come back”.

NAAAARDOOOOOOOOLEE!!!

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby AboveGL » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:40 pm

So Moffat's definitely stepping down as writer? If so, is his replacement any good? Because I might start watching this again.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:56 pm

AboveGL wrote:So Moffat's definitely stepping down as writer? If so, is his replacement any good? Because I might start watching this again.

Moffat has announced it and will be writing the last episode with Peter Capaldi as this years Christmas special. The new writer is the same guy who wrote the ITV series Broadchurch, and he's cast one of the lead actors (who starred alongside the former tenth Doctor) as the 13th Doctor. I don't really know whether he's good or not, because Who is a rather unique writing situation, but I'm guessing he'll make a better crack at it than Moffat has in the last couple of series.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 am

We've got new character announcements, including Thirteen's apparent companion, Graham (Bradley Walsh). And some requisite "sexist idiots" remarks, because, well.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 pm

No decorative vegetable? Boo!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't like it. Especially those trousers, holy beans who thought it was a good idea to have massively oversized trousers that don't reach down to her ankles? Maybe it's just because I was a fan of the sharp dark suits Capaldi was put in, but this just comes across like a mashup of fanservice (by which I mean, Doctor Who references) and bad costume design. I actually though she looked better in the black hoodie they had her in for the reveal.

This looks way better to me.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 am

Meh. It's better than Colin Baker's.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:
No decorative vegetable? Boo!

Piercings, how did she regenerate those? And those boots are making me mad, why did she tie them half wayyyyy, go up to the ankle womannnnnn.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am

I don't watch Doctor Who, but that's... not a good outfit ><

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:35 pm

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby gisambards » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:31 pm

I think a major problem is that the photo is so dissonant from the costume. The costume would imply quite a fun, lively personality, but then the photo seems to be trying to sell her as thoughtful and pensive, and the two things really don't work together.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 pm

That and each separate item seems to have been chosen entirely for the purpose of making fans squee out about having patterns like a previous Doctor's scarf and shit, and no thought seems to have been put into making her have a consistent look like the last few Doctors have. I would have less problem with it if it seemed consistent, but it really doesn't.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

PreviousNext