Joker

What have you been watching?

Joker

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:09 am

Nobody's going to be rising up any time soon and trying to follow his example. You never really root for him, you just kind of feel sorry for the guy the whole time. The acting is superb.

It's hard to watch, like "Requiem For A Dream" was. A few lines in his journal sound like something Kanye West would have said.

I liked it, but I don't know if it's for everyone. It's rough.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Re: Joker

Postby Australia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm

I enjoyed it enough. It's like the joke I said leaving the cinema that my friends either didn't get or gave the correct lack of response - It's certainly the best Dark Phoenix movie of the year.

They could have made the movie a lot more unique if they'd included pressures that don't exist in our world but as it is, I was never bored. Plus he walks into a glass door at one point and that's never not funny. The best part wasn't the movie though, it was the baby that kept crying throughout the whole thing.
"What was the first movie I went to see, Mum?"
"Why, the tenth best movie about a homicidal clown, sweetie."

Oh, and I doubt it was intentional but there's a Hot Tub Time Machine-style runner where you go "Oh, this is how he gets those scars" and it just never happens.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Joker

Postby 52xMax » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 am

I got that at a couple occasions when he comments about society. "He's gonna say it, he's gonna say it", and then he doesn't quite say it like that but it's something along those lines.

The scene when he rides in the back of the police car was also a nice touch.

All in all, I did enjoy it quite a lot, and even though it doesn't work like a Batman movie (it could've easily been set in New York or Chicago in the same time and it would've been the same), I don't think it's supposed to, and Phoenix does some of the best work of his entire career.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise