Best TV of 2018

What have you been watching?

Best TV of 2018

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:50 am

SHOWS YA WATCHED

Can include live-action TV, cartoons, anime, etc, whatever ya watched or didn't watch -- in separate categories or as part of the one countdown, etc again.

LIVE-ACTION

7. The Expanse (Season 3)

What were y'all doing, ignoring one of the best sci-fi shows of the decade? The adaptation of James S.A. Corey's novel series reached a fever pitch in its final season on SyFy, once again delivering star-making performances and movie-level special effects in the conclusion of its long-running Earth-Mars war arc, then moving on to a taut and intense cosmic horror plot that shakes all of its foundations to the ground. It's a damn good thing Amazon picked it up when SyFy cancelled it, because the latter story's ending sets up groundbreaking new material for all of the characters involved and it would be a crime if it wasn't seen through to the end.

6. Legion (Season 2)

The second season of Legion didn't quite live up to the promise of the fantastic first season: some of the plots dragged needlessly, there were a couple of episodes that felt like filler, it was a little frustrating to watch the villain effortlessly punk David again and again, and it could get deep up its own ass far too often -- and I'm saying that as someone who counts Hannibal, Mr. Robot, and, yes, the first season of this show as some of my all-time favorites. But what worked about the season worked so goddamn well that I can't not recognize it. From the always astounding performance by Dan Stevens as troubled telepath David Haller; to the excellent villainous turns by various actors playing the same main antagonist; to the surreal, mesmerizing, sometimes horrific visuals as David's war with his nemesis gets ever more intense, which range from a genuine dance battle to an intense all-out psychic war in the desert (a climactic scene so goofy, over-the-top, and yet genuinely satisfying after two seasons of buildup that I've watched it dozens of times). I just hope the third season picks up this season's slack.

5. Channel Zero: The Dream Door

If you haven't been watching Channel Zero, SyFy's annual anthology miniseries based on acclaimed internet horror stories, you're doing yourself a disservice. The Dream Door offers a change of pace from previous seasons, eschewing surreal realm distortion and mental illness in favor of a very grounded threat -- if one can call a woman's childhood imaginary friend being summoned into reality a grounded threat. Over six lightning-paced episodes, this woman and her possibly unfaithful husband struggle to stay together as her demented contortionist buddy Pretzel Jack tears their life into bloody pieces just to make her happy again. While it eventually gets more into violent action-horror than the more deliberate and haunting pace of prior seasons, it never sacrifices the show's previous strengths: layered and likable characters, a strong emotional backbone, and unpredictable scares delivered in interesting ways. Go check it out, it deserves more love!

4. Atlanta (Season 2)

Holy shit, why wasn't I watching this before? Consider me in love with Donald Glover's mad genius -- it's hilarious, relevant, and perfectly surreal in equal measure. I don't know how much I can write beyond that without giving away some great gags or rehashing what's already been written in the scores of articles praising it. I can say that "Teddy Perkins" is one of the most unexpectedly nightmarish things I've ever seen... anywhere, though.

3. Daredevil (Season 3)

The story of the Marvel Netflixverse is a tragic one, starting off with critically lauded event shows that everyone was talking about and slowly descending into ignored mediocrity until Disney's own streaming service put the kibosh on the whole thing. But at least we got to the point where Daredevil could be good again. In its final season, the show pulled us back almost to the heights of that first thrilling story, pitting the blind brawler against a returning Kingpin and a new, sickeningly brilliant Bullseye -- two of the best villains in the entire MCU. Whether the ending perfectly stuck the landing or not is up for debate, but I'm so happy that the writers decided to end on place that tied the show off in a complete bow, even if their teased plans for a fourth season will never see the light of day.

2. Barry (full review: http://thecommentsection.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8601&start=75#p269850)

Of the new ongoing shows I watched this year, none excited me for the future quite like Barry. Bill Hader's HBO passion project about a hitman trying to become an actor didn't exactly capture me at first; it starts off very funny and well made, but it just seemed like an elaborate black comedy satirizing the nature of acting and Hader's personal struggles. But as it went into the back half of its short season, its real ambitions became clear, and I was completely hooked. What started as a blood-spattered comedy ends up being a poignant, thrilling character study that shows off Hader's real acting chops, and it ends at such a high point that I can legitimately imagine it becoming the new Breaking Bad, albeit with a tone and feel all its own.

1. The Terror (full review: http://thecommentsection.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8601&start=75#p272928)

And now we have one for my all-time favorites. The Terror is quite simply one of the most enrapturing pieces of horror storytelling I've seen on the big or small screen. I don't know how to say again what I already said in my review, just because I love it so much from beginning to end that it almost feels disingenuous to write it all back again. It excels at every level a horror series should, from the beautifully icy atmosphere and suffocating audio to the rich story and characters to the original and creative scares, and I hold it in higher regard than any other piece of horror media or television in general that I've seen in the whole year. You need to be watching this one, even if only to see how a giant Inuit bear-monster can be dropped into a haunting period piece without sacrificing the tone or, well, terror.

ANIMATED

It's all anime here because the only other great cartoons I watched were Adventure Time (which, outside of the series finale, wasn't that good) and Steven Universe (which had just as many negatives as positives for me). Though speaking on that AT finale, the "Time Adventure" song is a perfect gut punch I'm absolutely never going to forget.

Honorable Mentions: Devilman Crybaby, which I've only just recently started despite hearing great things about it all year, because for some reason I procrastinate with a lot of really good anime. Not a lot to say about it yet other than holy fucking shit, but I imagine it's up there. Also Planet With and Hinamatsuri, both of which I fell off of for other things and need to finish.

5. Asobi Asobase

Pop Team Epic made waves earlier in the year for its oddball, surrealist sense of humor and zero-fucks-given attitude. Take all of that out of the Robot Chicken structure and slather it liberally into your average slice-of-life "cute girls do random things in a school club" show, and Asobi Asobase is born. I can't say much about this series, except that it made me laugh my ass off at least thrice an episode, for reasons I have trouble explaining.

4. My Hero Academia (Season 3) (full review: http://thecommentsection.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8601&start=75#p273320)

It's more My Hero. It's the world's hottest modern shonen for a reason. All Might continues to be the very best, like no one ever was.

3. Megalo Box

Megalo Box feels like an anime that would have aired on Toonami back in the days of Cowboy Bebop and the like; the days when plenty of anime fans got into gateway shows with just enough Western sensibilities mixed into the Eastern weirdness to translate perfectly. It's even got the resolution scaled and slightly blurred to look like something out of the late 90s / early 2000s. And it's a boxing anime about a scrappy underdog with a few character flaws climbing the ladder to find meaning in his life (much the same as the 50-year old show it was made as a tribute to), so the appeal is super clear -- even before you learn that this is a world where boxers wear deadly mechanized arms to do crippling damage to each other's bodies. The direction's stellar and the soundtrack's catchy as hell, too!

2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Vento Aureo

Little did I know that the year I officially got caught up on JoJo would be the year the anime finally resumed, after so long spent wondering whether the adaptation would stop with the fantastic Diamond Is Unbreakable. The tale of six gloriously gay teen gangsters taking a supernatural road trip across Italy is the first part of JoJo I read rather than watched, and seeing it finally animated adds more than I can convey to the experience. If you haven't been watching or you don't even know what a JoJo is, just watch this 50-second, zero context clip; if you laugh or are even slightly curious about it, the franchise is for you.

1. SSSS.Gridman

All right, admittedly I've only just started this one, so technically it shouldn't be allowed to be my #1 pick. But goddamn it, this is the Studio Trigger show I've been waiting for since Darling in the Franxx became a memetic mediocrity -- hell, ever since Kill la Kill, which they still haven't topped in my eyes. It's kickass mech action with hints of mystery underneath, and it's pretty much everything I wanted. I can't wait to see how it goes down from here.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Best TV of 2018

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 am

Archer: Danger Island in the animated catagory. As the only animated show I watched this year, it sort of gets a default placement on any list I would write. I discovered Archer comparatively recently, but it has been one of my favourite shows since. Like most fans, I have found the series a lot less interesting since Season 5 and Vice, but unlike most fans (or at least most who opine on internet boards) I mostly enjoyed the Figgis Agency period. I was pretty disappointed with Dreamland. It had its moments, but I found its long plot weak after the first few episodes. Not unlike FA, it set itself up to go to a lot of interesting places, and then never went to them. Especially after the galloping character development of the last two canon seasons, Dreamland and its reworked characters, setting, and plot felt like a frustrating detour from the show I actually enjoy watching.

Therefore, I was disappointed to see that they were doing another Archer does [x] spinoff-esque series in 2018 rather than reviving the canon series' interesting situation, especially considering the ropy quality of these season long stories they have been doing. Unfortunately, Danger Island largely met my expectations in that regard. By far the biggest problem I had with it was that it just wasn't all that funny. It wasn't unfunny, exactly, but it had to reach to create the classic Archer humour with the newly and totally revamped character relationships. I liked what they did with breaking up the traditional cliques of the canon show just like Dreamland(Archer with Pam and Krieger, Malory and Cheryl, and Lana, Cyril and Ray acting more independently) it was from this that the season's fresh humour was drawn. The trouble, really, was that most of the repurposed characters lacked the depth that produces the best humour in the show proper.

I think my main issue, other than the humour being flat, was that pesky long plot. I'm convinced the writers of Archer just aren't any good at these. The last 3 Seasons have all had the same problem of potentially interesting stories ultimately meandering into nothing. Having a weak and unsatisfying resolution to the plot elements you've spent several episodes developing isn't some kind of meta joke. It's just bad writing. Danger Island is mostly a pastiche of pulp adventure fiction and the later works it inspired, so naturally the plot has a lot of references to the schlocky pantomime of the genre. This is not a problem in and of itself, but I felt that - once again - it simmered nicely for four or five episodes before veering hard off the road. After wasting the villains it developed interestingly, it rushed into a manic conclusion that leaned way too heavily on the flamboyance of the genre to sneak by proper narrative etiquette. The last two episodes were all over the shop.

So, there's my contribution. A show I watched but didn't really enjoy, for reasons I'm prone to ramble about. I won't say don't watch Archer: Danger Island - it's pretty funny and very visually impressive with its art - but don't go into it expecting classic Archer because it is not that.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 am

Better Call Saul- It's all good, man!

Star Vs. The Forces of Evil- Some damn good performances on the part of Michael C. Hall, Esme Bianco, and Jessica Walters. Funny as hell, and Princess Marco best girl.

Voltron: Legendary Defender- The latter half of the series's 8 season run aired this year. It was quite a ride and a damn good space opera. Shout out to Cree Summer, who gives what is arguably the best performance of her career in season 8.

My Hero Academia's third season can be summed up thusly.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai- What seems to be a generic schlocky harem series on the surface turns out to be an emotionally gripping meditation on teenage struggles with insecurity and angst. It's basically Monogatari meets Ore ga Iru, but without the incest, neck tilting, and pedophilia. Definitely worth a watch. Screw Takarada Rikka, Sakurajima Mai is best girl of the season.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken- It's got non-rapey goblins, an overpowered slime, a neat fantasy setting, and a tsundere dragon. What's not to like?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby JamishT » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:32 am

1. Survivor: David Vs Goliath - Hate me all you want, but I freaking love Survivor. The second season of this past year was one of the best, even if its name was weird and the theme was kinda lame. The gameplay, editing, and cast (including actor/writer/producer Mike White and pro wrestler John Hennigan) were top notch. Jeff Probst is still the best host.

2. Survivor NZ: Thailand - YOU THOUGHT I WAS DONE TALKING ABOUT SURVIVOR? This was New Zealand's second season of Survivor, and it outperformed its first season and most American seasons. Same basic format, but with different accents, host, and twists, and a smaller cash prize ($250k). With more recruits than an average American season, the game play was dry at times, but when fans could make moves, OH BOY HOWDY. Fantastic season overall.

3. The Marvelous Miss Maisel (Amazon Prime) - I love this show. I don't care if it's unrealistic or whatever. I love it.

4. Inside Jokes (Amazon Prime) - Reality/Docu-series that follows a bunch of rising stand up comedians in their quest to perform at a large comedy festival. Very inspiring and funny.

5. Schitt's Creek - I forget which seasons they put on Netflix this year, but this Canadian sitcom is fantastic. No laugh track, all the DAAAAVIIIIIIDS

6. Survivor: Ghost Island - SHUT UP. It's a decent season. Not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not the worst either.

This is the point where I forget what I've watched and am consulting my viewing history, so the numbers are no longer solid rankings, these shows could be higher on the list).

7. Sick Note (Netflix) - Rupert Grint's character pretends to have cancer, helped by his doctor (played by the guy from Hot Fuzz), and, at the end of season 2, has to deal with a new boss (played be LINDSEY LOHAN of all people). Actually funny, all the characters are terrible people, you know solid sitcom material.

8. Bumping Mics (Netflix) - Jeff Ross (Roastmaster extraordinaire) and Dave Attell (never heard of him) do improvised standup together, much hilarity and roasting ensues. I enjoyed it a lot.

9. Daredevil Season 3 (Netflix) - A solid season, I think.

10. Ozark Season 2 (Netflix) - Breaking Bad vibes in the "Ozarks" (they filmed in Georgia, not Missouri). Still crushing on Ruth to this day.

Honorable Mentions/Shows that dropped/came out with a new season in 2018 earlier in the year on Netflix that I enjoyed:

American Vandal (Netflix)
Last Chance U
Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee
GLOW
Luke Cage
Queer Eye
Dear White People
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Santa Clarita Diet

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 am

I only watched two of KK's shows (Barry and The Expanse), but I can fully confirm that they are awesome. Atlanta sounds interesting and Legion has Aubrey Plaza, so I will check them both out at some point, probably.

I thought that Archer: Danger Island didn't really work. When Adam Reed first started doing these miniseries to avoid having the show use "ISIS" as a name, I was impressed with his bravery, but I think Anglerphobe nailed it: the series-long arcs in these series don't really work.

Better Call Saul was amazing this series. SvtFoE is one of the few kid's shows I actually think is good (for adults, anyways), up there with Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb, and ... I just realized these are all Disney shows, which may explain it.

Jamish's list has one show I've been meaning to check out and forgot (Marvelous Miss Maisel), and one show I liked: Ozark Season 2. I didn't think Season 2 was as good as Season 1, but it sets up season 3 to be excellent.

Any rate, my list follows. One of the things about depression is I've watched way too much TV for the past several years, to the point I literally can't remember everything I watched this year off the top of my head, so I feel like I may be missing something. I would definitely have forgotten Barry if KK hadn't brought it up.

13. The Good Fight Season 2
This show is spinoff of The Good Wife, still my favorite network drama (a low bar, I admit), which was created to anchor CBS's subscription service. It has one of my two favorite characters from that show, Marissa Gold, as a main character and the other, Elsbeth Tascioni, as a recurring character. Unfortunately, while The Good Wife was known for its meticulous research into legal issues, I wonder if this show has a research team at all. I also find the heavy-handed political soapboxing incredibly grating. Overall I look forward to Season 3, and it's a good show, but it's still nowhere near as good as the show it was spun off of.

12. Silicon Valley Season 5
This used to be my top TV show, in the period when Archer had started to decline and before I discovered Bojack Horseman, but the latest season, while good, is no longer amazing. It's verging on not even being great anymore.

11. The Santa Clarita Diet Season 2
I wasn't sure about this show at first; early episodes of the first season were extremely gross, which is very much not my thing, and a lot of plot twists were obvious. However season 2 is a marked improvement, and the finale left me aching for more without being an obnoxious cliffhanger.

10. Barry Season 1
It started off slow, but by the end, I was hooked. I can't wait for season 2.

9. Alone Together Seasons 1 & 2
Freeform picked up this show for two seasons at the start, and with the poor critical reviews and awful ratings Season 1 got, I was sure it was headed for cancellation. The summer burnoff of season 2 a few months after season 1 confirmed it for me, though it took until early November for that to be confirmed officially. I think that this is a show that is only going to appeal to a niche audience (which would include a lot of people on TCS, so seriously, check it out), and it didn't manage to find that audience. It didn't help that early episodes of season 2 were relatively weak.

8. Travelers Season 3
Tess basically nagged me into watching this show and then again to get past the first six episodes of Season 1. But once I did, I was hooked. Season 3 I think is the best season yet, and though it did some things that annoyed me, it is still well worth watching (though I wonder if you could skip the first half of the first season and have the show make sense).

7. F is For Family Season 3
This show is growing on me with each season, which I still find weird when I think about how unfunny I find Bill Burr's standup. But I guess, I don't watch it as a comedy, not even sure if it's supposed to be one. As a drama, it is excellent.

6. The Good Place late Season 2 and early Season 3
This show by Michael Schur of The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, is very different from anything else on network television; it feels more like a Netflix or Amazon Prime show, and that's probably a good thing.

5. The Expanse Season 3
Several anthologies by Gardner Duzois eventually convinced me space opera is a legitimate genre of science fiction and not simply a description of bad SF, but I had still never seen a space opera TV series I liked. (Well, maybe Firefly, but that misses a lot of the elements I associate with true space opera.) And then I discovered The Expanse, and it is simply amazing. I've read up on the wiki to see what happen in the books and I still eagerly await each new episode anyways. That is the sign of an excellent TV series.

4. Better Call Saul Season 4
Gripping in all the right ways, I didn't even realize a lot of people found the subplot with Werner boring until Kivutar brought it up on her post on the thread. Kim and Jimmy's relationship is a slow-moving train wreck, and everything Mike does is a joy to watch.

3. Crazy Ex Girlfriend late Season 3 & early Season 4
My favorite comedy this year. As one of only two network series to make the list (and the only CW series I've gotten through a whole season of), 2018 spans halves of two seasons. That said, the end of Season 3 was excellent and the start of the final season is very strong, but musically and writing-wise. Hopefully the end of Season 4 lives up to the rest of it.

2. Bojack Horseman Season 5
OK, I hated the monologue episode which everyone else seemed to love, but otherwise, this series continues to amaze me in a good way. As with CEG, it is one of the best explorations of mental illness on TV, but while CEG has comedy, hope, and musical numbers, Bojack captures the hopeless bleakness of what depression feels like.

1. Sneaky Pete Season 2
While I didn't feel Ozark held up quite as well in Season 2, Sneaky Pete actually managed to improve on its first season. Which is weird because Ozark seems superficially more similar to Justified, my favorite TV show of all time. Still, if all of the shows I listed dropped new episodes at the same time, this is probably the show I'd watch second. I'd watch CEG first, but only because I have a preference for watching comedies before dramas, likely learned from the habit networks have of airing comedies before dramas.

Honorable mentions:
Fresh Off the Boat late Season 4 and early Season 5
Ozark Season 2
The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
The Detour Season 3
The Conners (aka Roseanne Minus Roseanne) early Season 1

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Australia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 am

JamishT wrote:3. The Marvelous Miss Maisel (Amazon Prime) - I love this show. I don't care if it's unrealistic or whatever. I love it.

Wow, if people care that a show be realistic, they would absolutely hate my list. I enjoyed the first season of Mrs Maisel. I wouldn't put it up there with my favourites but I would have watched the second season if I had Amazon. I did watch the entirety of Psych over a couple of months in 2018 though so you can't be too mad at me.

I also agree on Bojack, Barry, Atlanta, American Vandal, Santa Clarita Diet, Travelers (first year I didn't watch it entirely in the background) and GLOW but they wouldn't quite intrude on the top ten I threw up somewhere last week. I wish I could say I loved Icy Dead People as much as Kleiner but for whatever reason, it didn't grab me. Definitely agree on the bear though.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby JamishT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 am

Australia wrote:
JamishT wrote:3. The Marvelous Miss Maisel (Amazon Prime) - I love this show. I don't care if it's unrealistic or whatever. I love it.

Wow, if people care that a show be realistic, they would absolutely hate my list. I enjoyed the first season of Mrs Maisel. I wouldn't put it up there with my favourites but I would have watched the second season if I had Amazon. I did watch the entirety of Psych over a couple of months in 2018 though so you can't be too mad at me.

I mainly said that because I've seen many "think-pieces" and tweets about how she has too much privilege, complaints about a non-Jewish actor playing a very Jewish comedian, and other such complaints.

I cannot be mad at you at all, because Psych is my all time favorite show!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Australia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:22 pm

The think-pieces understand what characters and acting are, right? Without those, the show's just an empty microphone.

Were there think-pieces ten years ago about how Michael C. Hall wasn't an actual serial killer so he shouldn't be playing one?

Last edited by Australia on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby gisambards » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 pm

GLOW Season 2 was my favourite show of this year, with American Vandal Season 2 and Daredevil Season 3 as runners-up. I was honestly a little disappointed with Season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, when the first season was my favourite show of last year - I felt it had lost a lot of the charm it had before, the amount of attention given to Joel's family was a total mistake - all of those scenes were a waste of time - and I didn't find it as funny generally.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Preacher and Attack On Titan both had their third seasons. I don't think anything else on TV was comparable this year.

Oh, except for This Is America. That was worth multiple viewings. Can't believe nobody else mentioned it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Australia » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:26 pm

I stopped watching Attack on Titan when they replaced the awesome theme song with a generic pop song. Have they switched back yet? Because that was 90% of why I liked that show.

Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm

No.

Season 3's theme song is a lullaby. The imagery it plays over is fantastic and even rainbow hued if that counts for anything.

The perfect opening for something that is definitely not bright and cheery. It's like seeing a greenish yellow banana but when you open it up there's nothing but rot and giant people are coming to eat you.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh