Best Movies of 2018 (also worst ones if you want)

What have you been watching?

Best Movies of 2018 (also worst ones if you want)

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm

I'll make separate ones for TV/anime/cartoons etc and for video games later if nobody else subsequently does.

I didn't watch nearly as many movies this year as I wanted to and I won't have much opportunity to go to the theater for a while, so consider Annihilation, Mandy, You Were Never Really Here, Terrified (a buzzy Argentinian horror movie exclusive to Shudder, a streaming service I don't have), and especially Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse my potential honorable mentions.

5. A Quiet Place

I saw a couple of solid horror films this year -- I've warmed up a little to Hereditary from my initial "this is derivative, overhyped schlock" reaction -- but outside of the other two on this list, none stuck with me quite like A Quiet Place. It may not be quite as dreadfully terrifying as other picks, and I'm aware that it went through a massive hype backlash, but it does so much right that I have to recognize it. It eschews all exposition and nearly all dialogue, masters the audio side of things so momentously that its silent moments quieted theater audiences, and in favor of the demons and ghosts and serial killers that the West is oh-so-fascinated with, it focused on the too often neglected field of monsters -- ambiguously extraterrestrial monsters, but monsters nevertheless. The performances are great (especially from the deaf actress playing the daughter), the sign language shows a great amount of careful research and training, and it works as an entirely self-contained narrative. I'll take this over the next sanded-down Exorcist rehash any day.

4. Apostle

I've had some misgivings toward director Gareth Evans, but his The Raid movies are a must-see for any action fan, whatever their flaws. And with him writing an intense horror film starring Legion's incredible Dan Stevens, we got more of that old Raid style with a fresh new coat of crimson paint. Apostle (available on Netflix) is a demented, blood-soaked blend of cult thriller and sort-of action-horror film, throwing Stevens' character into a methodical mystery investigation that eventually descends into a storm of bone-crunching brutality and supernatural hijinks. Not all of it works, but it's a damn great time when it does.

3. Mission Impossible: Fallout

Everyone saw it, and everyone who saw it already knows. This is a damn spectacular blockbuster action movie, more so for Tom Cruise's obscene dedication to shattering his aging body for our entertainment than any filmic aspects (Henry Cavill is surprisingly fun, too). Every action scene shines with polish, especially the spellbinding three-way fistfight in the bathroom and the climactic helicopter chase / cliffside brawl. I don't love it quite as much as I wish I did, mainly because some of the scenes go on for so long that they wore out their welcome and I started to become unengaged (the motorcycle chase being the biggest offender), but it's definitely MI firing on all cylinders, and I'll always love a big-budget action movie that favors practical stunts.

2. Halloween

Long-delayed sequels that ignore everything except the first movie are nothing new to horror franchises -- Halloween H20 already got there, lest we forget. But they're usually not this good. After decades of pale imitators that soaked the increasingly desensitized audiences in buckets of blood while ignoring the subtlety and tension building that made the pioneering slasher film great, the new Halloween did the impossible: it made me afraid of Michael Myers again. It's a horrifically brutal film, but it depicts the violence in such a way that the elaborate kills we've long come to slasher movies for are actually chilling and, y'know, scary (the long tracking shot where he gets back to Haddonfield and just starts weaving in and out of houses methodically wasting people is truly special). Combine that with an exceptional return for Jamie Lee Curtis's Laurie Strode and some solid supporting players, and the cat-and-mouse game actually succeeds at being interesting on both sides again. There's a late-story twist that doesn't really hold together, and I wish the ending were much more conclusive for how well the story winds toward it, but otherwise, it's easily right behind the original in my franchise ranking.

1. Avengers: Infinity War

I don't care if you think this movie sucks because it doesn't stand on its own, I don't care if you're a film student who's terrified that recognizing this movie's successes will spell the death of the small-budget film industry, I don't care if you have no concept of "stakes" beyond "X won't die / won't stay dead", I don't fucking care if you think this is a lame choice because it's a big blockbuster and big blockbusters shouldn't be the #1 of anything. I don't care. Avengers: Infinity War climbed to my expectations, casually blew them away with a snap of the fingers, and kept on climbing. It's the pinnacle of Phase 3, arguably the best run of movies Marvel has put out yet, and it feels like the grand summation of everything good about the MCU. The heroes have compelling arcs, Thanos is so great that he's essentially the protagonist of the film, there's exceptional action scenes and quiet, poignant emotional scenes in tandem, and the ending is so iconic that I don't even need to write anything about it (beyond the fact that -- yes, even though everyone knows it will be fixed -- I'm never going to forget "Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good"). Even if Endgame winds up sucking, god forbid, this entire Marvel experiment will have been worth it just for Infinity War.

Best Film Character/s: 1. Thanos (Avengers: Infinity War), 2. Annie Graham (Hereditary), 3. Laurie Strode (Halloween), 4. Erik "Killmonger" Stevens (Black Panther)

B-B-Bonus Categories!

Most Disappointing Movie - Incredibles 2

I almost gave this to Black Panther, which ended up just being a middle-of-the-road Marvel movie with tons of wasted potential and a mountain of unearned "it's a Shakespearean masterpiece / Killmonger was the real hero" articles, but I've simultaneously softened a bit to that movie on rewatch and found a better pick.

Incredibles 2 is yet another completely by-the-numbers Modern Pixar movie masquerading as a 12-years-late sequel to one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's got a hidden "twist villain" whom you'll spot within their first scene (and who never even scrapes the highs of the original's Syndrome), distills every character to their pre-development personalities to use them in a much less nuanced character arc (or worse for Bob, who goes from an active and supportive father to someone who's apparently never tended to his kids for the sake of stay-at-home-dad luls), lacks any kind of tension or stakes, abandons the unique hybrid superhero / spy flick aesthetic to be just another superhero flick, and overall feels radically less ambitious than its predecessor despite the much more advanced technology. Putting the focus on Elastigirl is a great idea, but from the overly apologetic opening to the anticlimactic finale, this movie's a fuckin snooze.

Most Instantly Forgettable Movie - Venom

Hey, they made a Venom movie. Remember when that happened? Me neither. Fucking Aquaman's a thing, and I actually forgot until I was typing this up that Venom came out.

Worst Movie - Slender Man

Fuck. This. Shit. The Slender Man movie made 4 years after the Slender Man craze mostly died (and which I've fully reviewed) accomplishes exactly one thing: it induced a hollow madness in me not unlike those stalked by the titular entity. Good gods, I can't remember the last time I watched a movie so slow, dull, and empty. It grinds and grinds and grinds on, occasionally interrupting its tedium with a tired stalk-and-sometimes-kill scene that doesn't so much alleviate the boredom as make it more noticeable, until it finally, mercifully decides to end so hastily and anticlimactically that it almost seems humiliated with itself. Slender Man is the worst kind of bad: the kind you can't even laugh at because you're too busy staring at your watch from around the pistol lodged in your jaw. It's dreadful beyond words.

Now post ya own picks!

Last edited by KleinerKiller on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Best Movies of 2018 (also worst ones if you want)

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby gisambards » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 am

Trying to collate a list, I realised once again how few movies I actually watch the year they come out. Here are my top 3 movies, and honestly the third-place one doesn't really deserve to be on there:
3. The Meg
I watched The Meg while drunk and very tired with some drunk and very tired friends in a screen that only had us in it, and it was so-bad-it's-good/in-some-places-legitimately-entertaining/had-Jason-Statham-in-it enough to pass under those circumstances, but I don't think it would hold up under solo, sober or lucid viewing and would probably just be a bit dull. But it was probably the best movie experience I had of the year given the extenuating circumstances, so on the list it goes.
2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is an entertaining way to pass however long its runtime is, and is a massive improvement over the Cohen Brothers' last film, the awful Hail, Caesar!, so if you have a Netflix account and some free time it's worth checking out.
1. Infinity War
Infinity War is really good. I was worried going in it would actually be a real over-hype situation, and I have definitely been burned in the past with previous films unilaterally declared the best of the year (including kind of this year, because I have been told far too many times that Black Panther was the best film of the year, which it really wasn't), but Infinity War really was really good.

To prove that I did watch more than three movies this year, here are my worst movies:
4. Black Panther
To me, Black Panther was honestly pretty boring to watch. I think it is possible to acknowledge that it does achieve its primary goal of being empowering for black people whilst still accepting that, if you take that away, it's not actually that great a film. It should be very much seen as a jumping-off point to allow similar films in the future, rather than the ultimate black superhero movie, because there's definitely room for improvement.
3. Solo
Solo was just not good enough, and I think it's hardly surprising it flopped and spelled the cutback of the plans for the franchise it did - after four films, Disney's Star Wars has been pretty consistently not good enough. I don't remember actively enjoying any of it, but equally I was never miserable, just a bit bored and occasionally being taken by a certain moment before something (usually a lame attempt at comedy) snapped me out of it, which has been the Disney Star Wars experience generally really.
2. Venom
I had to text my brother to see if we actually did see this movie or if I was just misremembering having seen the trailers on YouTube. Apparently I have seen it, and apparently I hated it at the time, but I don't really remember. I remember finding Tom Hardy annoying, but that could have been any Tom Hardy movie really.
1. The Crimes of Grindelwald
I didn't want to see this and I regret having seen it. It was really awful. My only consolation for having sat through this garbage is that everyone's become considerably less eager to gush about JK Rowling, which she frankly deserves.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 am

Well, I can't apologise for not seeing enough movies on the big screen because I struggled to narrow down my top ten. I'm going to do this in descending order because, well, the best movie should be at the top of the list, n'est pas?

1. Avengers: Infinity War - If not my favourite movie ever, definitely the most epic. Also probably my favourite but I'll have to watch it a hundred more times for it to catch up to Die Hard.
2. Bad Times At The El Royale - Identity meets Tarantino. Thrilling, chilling, killing, um, fulfilling.
3. Upgrade - very cool action sequences that make you think he really is being controlled by a computer.
4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Completely accept that it's stupid as fuck and there are movies that deserve to be on this list more than this but dammit, this is subjective and I will never get bored of watching dinosaurs fighting.
5. A Quiet Place - best post-apocalyptic monster movie of the year, blowing the good Cargo and Birdbox out of the water. May have been higher up if the audience I watched it with weren't colossal douchebags who talked the whole way through. (Okay, it was more three guys than the whole audience but still).
6. Game Night - funniest movie of the year. Would have gone to see it more if the cinema had a three-for-one special.
7. Deadpool 2 - Just a ton of fun again.
8. Mission Impossible: Fallout - Best Mission Impossible yet
9. Anna And the Apocalypse - Best Christmas Zombie Musical yet.
10. The Girl In The Spider’s Web - I dunno. Just something about it that had me captivated. Very Bourne-esque sequences.
Honorary mentions/movies objectively better than Fallen Kingdom but didn't have a raptor - Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Ready Player One, Halloween, Searching, Hereditary, Into the Spiderverse, I Kill Giants.

Instantly forgettable movie - Ocean's Eight

Worst - Truth or Dare. Look, there were some meh movies that I enjoyed enough - Rampage, Solo, Grindelwald, Meg, Venom, Tomb Raider, but this has no moments where I was like 'this scene was worth the price of admission'. It did have one line that made me laugh where one of the characters says they too have lost their friends at 19 because that dude is at least 40. Well, I mean, I watched him in Roswell decades ago so that's purely guesswork but who is he kidding?

Movies everyone went on about but bored the crap out of me (aka my Black Panther, I guess)- Roma, Eighth Grade

And because I'm impatient, here's my top TV list with no elaboration because I gotta go to work.

1. Daredevil
2. The Haunting of Hill House
3. The Good Place
4. Twelve Monkeys
5. Ash Vs Evil Dead
6. Better Call Saul
7. Ozark
8. Maniac
9. A Series Of Unfortunate Events
10. Jessica Jones

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel