Avengers: Endgame (2019)

What have you been watching?

Re: Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Postby JamishT » Wed May 01, 2019 6:08 am

I saw it today! I only have one thought:
Spoiler: show
I'm pretty sure they modeled fat Thor after me, with the out of control hair/beard and paunch-y paunch.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby AboveGL » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 am

It was phenomenal. I've watched a movie days after release with a full crowd once before, but never this enthusiastic. The atmosphere was awesome and it felt great to experience that at least once, especially after missing that boat for Infinity War.

Speaking of which, a couple of recap videos preceding IW (one explaining the main plot points and another discussing the current state of each hero) made IW very easy to follow and appreciate. I don't think I'd even have needed to see the recap videos, the plot is really that intuitive.

But that was my Friday and Saturday evening. IW with ice-cream, followed by Captain Marvel and Endgame back to back. It's made me want to work through the rest of the MCU (the only other ones I've seen are Thor Ragnarok and The Avengers).

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun May 05, 2019 12:13 am

I was able to fit this into my life. Three consecutive hours in a dark space when your day begins at 2:30 a.m. is a task.

My thoughts are random and probably very out of sort as a result. So let's begin somewhere...
Spoiler: show
This movie is so aware of itself that the constant Back to the Future name dropping got annoying. Don't mention all the other time traveling movies when you yourself are a stupid time traveling movie.

When Rocket was breaking Carol's balls over her haircuts I wouldn't have been shocked for her to break the fourth wall and mention how every other character changes outfits constantly to sell toys so why not just try to fit in?

Love, love, love the way they used Nebula. I was going to be less than happy if she wasn't a major part of the story. Source material matters! A little bit at least. Also love how we get smacked in the face with her and Gamora's character development.

Peter Quill is now the butt of every joke in the MCU. How ever did he earn that?

Avengers: Handwave is my choice for alternate subtitle. Oh Bruce couldn't get Natasha back when he had the stones. There. Was. Just. No. Way. Oh our time travel works like this but when we yada yada it even worse later don't worry we're The Avengers. My second choice would be Avengers: Captain Marvel Said Fuck Your Shit.

Honestly between the time travel plot device and the end credit number I wonder how much dirt Seth McFarlane has on the Russo brothers. Either that or they're just nodding in his direction. Which imo is way worse.

My kid has to see The Big Lebowski before this movie? That's not fair. It wasn't on the syllabus.

Asgardians of the Galaxy Volume 42069 has the potential to be the best movie ever.

Hey uh did we forget Adam Warlock from the last Guardians movie? Is that an oversight or what? Everyone's all "they included everything from every movie!". Obviously not.

Marvel has some essplainin to dooo. Good thing Spidey's next movie is coming up so we can find out what the deal is with kids going back to school 5 years after being suddenly resurrected. Say you had a scholarship to a university? They still going to take you? Teachers are already not being paid enough and suddenly class sizes double for a 5 year stretch?

We lose one of the greats and it's hard to process even though without seeing spoilers I had a feeling it was happening. That loss was not made easier by the 3 minute monologue made by the deceased.

"All villains must die" has to stop. You can't kill all your villains constantly. This is a Marvel universe but there's almost no chance of a past threat coming back. Unless time travel blah right? Thanos and Ultron are like the Avengers villain mainstays. They gone. Loki too.

Oh I noticed what was being pushed in the first half of the movie. Thor 2, Doctor Strange, and the Ant-Man movies were revisited along with GotG and the first Avengers. See look, they're all on the same level. Go watch those low grossing Marvel movies. Push your duds while you can. I enjoyed Doc Strange but the others, ugh.

Big battle was big and epic. The smartest move anyone ever made in the MCU was when T'challa took the glove from Clint. I mean who wasn't terrified at the sight of Hawkeye holding something that powerful? Like yeah buddy sorry pal let's let the actual super powered heroes handle business.

Deadpool didn't show up. What was the point of buying 20th Century Fox if not to take full advantage of it immediately? Would've been cool to see Wanda introduce her pops (I know he's canonically dead in the MCU and isn't Magneto anyone but who cares) and make everyone lose their mind at the theater.

Ok so when the snap occurred we saw planes fall out of the sky and all kinds of vehicles suddenly without anyone at the controls. Those had to cause some deaths. Undoing the snap isn't bringing those people back. Those are the ones who will be mourned the most. Obviously, because they're still dead.

That's all I can think of a day later. More might come to me but this is plenty to leave here.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Previous