Avengers: Endgame (2019)

What have you been watching?

Re: Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:28 am

https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Spider-Man-Homecoming/80166369

That any help? Apparently Redbox is offering it for rent also. I put it in my store's fly by night rental machine when it released so it only makes sense that they've got it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby JamishT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:53 am

ghijkmnop wrote:Ew. You still handle PHYSICAL MEDIA???

I handle physical media all the time, and with finesse...ladies.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 am

ghijkmnop wrote:Ew. You still handle PHYSICAL MEDIA???

Hey now, you're the one talking about paying to rent a file. I handle physical media on a weekly basis as a public service to a small hick town in western MD.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Then you are going to have to wait to rent the Homecoming of Spider-Man! The second one might be in theaters by then!

Spoiler alert: Most of the movie has nothing to do with
Spoiler: show
a school dance. But then again I guess that's why it's the subtitle.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:24 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:It never will. It will be locked up with all the Pixar content to the upcoming Disney streaming channel. Along that line, have you noticed that Spider-man: Homecoming is STILL unavailable for anything other than purchase?

Weird. I was able to borrow Spider-man: Homecoming from the local library ages ago, didn't cost me a dime. You folks ought to get your library memberships renewed, missing out on some great advances in book shelving Inc.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:55 am

You can take movies from the library for free? Where I live, you can only take books for free if you have a membership; for movies, you have to pay an extra fee.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Library memberships are free all over 'Murica afaik. So the movies would be included. And you're required to get a library card to check anything out because see back in September 2001...

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:30 pm

You know those lame fan videos where people stitch together scenes someone else put effort into creating and then throw a song someone else put effort into creating on top of it to all but ensure it gets taken down within days? Yeah, I made one of those. So if there are any weirdos who have only seen Infinity War once, here's a helpful refresher on Thanos' story. And by helpful, I mean it reminds you just how untalented I am.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:02 pm

Hey this movie comes out next month :shock: and while you don't have to watch Captain Marvel before it comes out I'll say you should. It's way better than Ant-Man's second go around and just like that movie it is only really connected to Infinity War and Endgame by the scenes that show during the credits.

What I'd like to happen in Endgame as of right now:

Surprise third movie bitches! They filmed Back to the Future sequels consecutively and released them months apart, c'mon with Endgame part II for Xmas, make it fight Star Wars and see who the strongest Disney child really is!

Ah I can hope. There's no way that's happening or else Tom Holland would've mentioned it.

I really just want no loose ends. They're doing a good job for the most part. Like how Bucky had to kill Tony's dad for being the kind of stupid that dredges up infinity stone containers from the ocean floor and housing it in a government facility that had no defense against visiting deities. *sigh*

I assume they'll wrap it up cleverly by doing something we've not thought about but will feel like we should have.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Australia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 am

So you're saying Ant Man isn't going to expand inside Thanos' butt? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mildly disappointed.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 pm

While we could play the matching of character with hilarious body part all day long I'm sure they've already figured out the least likeliest combination that would come to mind yet completely work in the movie.

It's like the lottery. We play blindly or we pick our numbers, maybe we're close but we never hit the jackpot.

Also could you imagine time being rewound? Ant-Man shrinks inside the bowels of Thanos and is shot out backwards with the same vigor at which he entered. We probably shouldn't brainstorm too much in public or we'll end up with an uncredited montage of our ideas showing up in the Ultimate Director's Unrated Extended Cut.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Australia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Well, I’m too afraid of giving any inkling away in the intro so I’ll ignore the preamble and get into spoilers in the snap of my-
With the snap of-
By the snap-
At the sn-
…Now.

The Good
Korg’s back.

Time travel is probably my favourite movie category and the MCU is probably my favourite franchise so it’s about time the two combined in a major way. And it was perfect. Jumping into the previous movies and filling in the blanks was like Back to the Future 2 on acid.

That first scene is freaking brutal. It took them a while but they finally made Hawkeye interesting.

I feel like Tony and Nebula spent weeks trying to find something, anything, to form some kind of human connection until they finally landed on paper football. Seeing Tony as just a broken failure after years of him being the loudest mouth in the room was pretty devastating and the fact that he finally regained happiness only to risk it by doing the right thing would have been tragic enough without what unfolded at the end.

Thor backsliding from MVP of Infinity War to a pathetic slob should not have worked as well as it did. But I could see the king spend his days threatening children for poor gamesmanship for hours. And he got to spend more time with Rocket which was my favourite pairing of the last movie too.

They paid off literally everything. Insta-kill mode, “On your left”, “Hail Hydra”, Tony finally resting and watching the sun rise on a grateful universe (“I am Iron Man” is maybe less of a stretch but I’m sure they were going for the Thanos mirror there), Steve wielding Mjolnir, time healing the resentment leftover from Civil War and look, I’m gonna be honest, I noticed several more but I got diverted and it’s now been a day since I thought ‘I’ll have to remember that’ and failed. Really, the only thing missing was a schwarma restaurant providing catering for that support group Steve started that barely anybody shows up to.

I don’t know why but it never even occurred to me that Scott Lang disappearing the instant the snap happened might make everyone assume the obvious. The Avengers just can't catch a break.

Everything about that final battle was top notch. I thought the fight with Cap might be the highlight but when Dr Strange brought every ally in the galaxy to the base at the same time, that was just ‘oh, this is just the beginning’.

Well, Dr Strange definitely made the right choice trading the stone for Tony. They never would have figured out time travel without him and even if they had, Thanos just would have yoinked the glove back in the end.

Drax has really gotten good at his invisibility. I barely saw him all movie.

Seeing Starlord’s intro scene from the outside. “So he’s an idiot?”

“Bucky’s alive.” “What?” That would be super mean if it wasn’t true. Still bad sportsmanship but at the end of the day, Cap was only hurting himself.

‘We’re sending you back a week for an hour and bringing you back in ten seconds.”

“[Insert complex scientific theory here] We can all agree on that at least.”

“Hello regular sized man.”

“It was between him and a tree.”

“You missed the first time and got them both with the second one.”

“We all know who’s in charge here.”

"That is America's ass."

"Cute, Thanos has a retirement plan."

"A lunch, then Asgaard."

What can I say? I love this movie 3000. I did think I’d need a break before going back in (by break, I mean until I go see Endgame again, probably next week) but I just got back from watching Thor Ragnarok at a friend’s and that movie is still amazing too, in a completely different tone and pace. It’s weird how Thor can kind of be slotted into so many personality types yet still feel like Thor at his core. Also it’s funny how frustrated Thor gets about constantly being called Lord of Thunder a few days before he constantly calls Rocket a rabbit.

The Bad
I’ve been away for a week without wifi (which was good for avoiding spoilers but bad for watching Netflix, should have brought some DVDs) for a wedding in the middle of nowhere which is fine, there’s plenty of anecdotes and it’s celebrating real life but Endgame was out for an entire day and a half before I got back to see it. How did it survive without me?

I was exhausted last night and didn’t scribble anything down so most of my notes have fallen out of my head. I’m sure they’ll flood back when I go see it next time so if you’re reading this in a couple of weeks, you’re reading the Director’s Cut with all the stuff I wanted put in here.

I was pretty sure I’d seen every time travel movie ever made and was recognising all the classics they riffed off until someone mention “Somewhere in Time” which I’ve never even heard of. Fortunately it’s not on Netflix because I googled it and it looks more Lakehouse than About Time. I do like that some of the characters thought Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure was a “realistic” portrayal of time travel. It’s great because it’s hot nonsense.

Okay, so less about me and more about Endgame, I really think Avengers: Time Heist would be a catchier title but it does spoil the premise just a little.

And I guess I’d be remiss if I didn’t tap the house of cards that is the time travel rules. I honestly don’t care about that stuff. I think it’s equally valid for a movie to break the rules it’s set up as it is to follow them to a T. Certainly makes it less predictable. But it’s worth mentioning if only to flesh this section out until my aforementioned second viewing. But feel free to skip this block of text because boring. So my brother-in-law was arguing that Cap takes all the stones and items back the moment they left so that the timeline would remain intact and then lives an entire life in the past as if that wouldn’t affect anything. Now I think adding something to the past is a lot less damaging than subtracting something especially if Steve retired and didn’t fight any baddies until 2023, where it looks like the super serum may have worn off although seeing a 200 year old man fighting Nazis would be impressive. Where was I? Oh, right, Cap literally fought his older self without the universe rupturing or both passing out upon meeting so we know two of the same person can easily exist simultaneously. PLUS it works thematically because he too is finally returning to his rightful time. So the only question that remains is ‘Does Steve going to buy groceries and forgetting to buy the milk that Peggy remembered to buy the first time around (or a less comical example, buying twice as much food because that’s how maths works) have butterfly repercussions that will break the world as we know it?’ It’s a no from me, especially considering 2014 Peggy’s dementia didn’t rule out that Cap always goes back to her.
See, that’s why I don’t care about plotholes. It’s fun to argue about time travel but trying to factually declare what makes sense about a fictional device in a fictional universe is stupider than even the dumbest time travel movie (Click) but alas I have to mention two more.
Evil Loki is back out in the world somewhere which great, he’s a fun character but blah blah blah, he’s a trickster. If anyone can out-trick time, it’s Loki and since he just couldn’t wait to be King around that time, the Tesseract still presumably would have ended up on Asgaard, whether by Thor or Loki.
So the big one is Gamora. Again, I can give her a pass because she was pulled before her untimely murder but it’s a very close shave Infinity Stones-wise. Allegedly, Black Widow couldn’t be brought back because Clint’s sacrifice would be moot and the soul stone would return from whence it came. So four-years-younger Gamora disappeared five years after she was supposed to be sacrificed so it could be argued convincingly that Thanos indirectly cheated the soul stone before he intended to use it, so back in 2018, the stone should have disappeared… wait, before the snap? Yeah, surely he shouldn’t be allowed to use them if the sacrifice is reversed. Because if whatever force is Red Skull’s boss has a time limit as far as what it can see, the Avengers can just wait another five years and then go pluck Black Widow from Age of Ultron or something. Know what, it’s probably as simple as Thanos loves himself and he dies prematurely so it’s an even trade. Regardless I like Gamora and I’m glad she may have a second chance, logic be damned. It appears Guardians still unfolded for other characters despite this version of her not being there for them (which does in fact track (story-wise, not logic-wise) unless you want past Thanos getting dusted to wipe out the entirety of Phase 3 movies) so that opens up limitless possibilities if the MCU wants to toy with time again a few years down the line.
EDIT: And it becomes obvious in hind/resight that the Avengers are jumping out of alternate, eventually extinct timelines once they've gathered the stones, which you'd think would be obvious given Nebula literally murders herself but that'll teach me to try to think critically.

Poor Vision and Heimdall didn’t get timey wimey excuses to live, but then again neither did a ton of other Asgaardians and the majority of Xandar and, well, half of every planet Thanos worked manually but I don’t know them dammit.

Okay, now that crap’s out of the way… I got nothing. It’s a satisfying end to the main, or at least first, saga for the MCU and I wouldn’t change a thing except Hawkeye’s haircut. It’s not on the same level as Infinity War as far as riveted by the sheer magnitude from the very first second to the very last but it’s not far off. There is a lot less action spread out. The first half was very much a drama and then there’s a lot of fun playing with time and previous films but unless I’m recalling wrong, outside of past Nebula fighting before getting self-hacked and Cap fighting himself, it is not until the most epic battle put to cinema that we get real action. That more than makes up for it and if anything makes it a better payoff but I think the sporadic fights throughout Infinity War spanning multiple planets just makes it a more rewatchable movie. I still found usually enigmatic characters being muted and humbled and hopeless the best approach for Endgame because, well, it’s a different movie. It’s just a matter of what’s more entertaining in the long run. Wait, forgot to mention Hawkeye's ninja fight.
(Second watch breezed by just as quickly so scratch this note too).

This is neither good nor bad but Captain Marvel was simultaneously as pivotal to the movie as I expected and got far less screentime than I would have thought. Fair enough, she’s got tons of movies to show up in. We needed to get the most time with the characters who were being wrapped up while we had the time and while they were in time and time time time time time time time.

I was going to say there were no true surprises as far as plot was concerned, considering Dr Strange’s prophecy and since there’s been a year to talk about literally every possible combination of events (not that even that’s a bad thing since only a dozen things can happen in Game of Thrones at this point but I’m still excited to see which and how it unfolds) but I didn’t expect Thanos to die in minute 10 and when I realised that more occurred to me, like fat Thor or Professor Hulk or murderer Hawkeye or having to get the soul stone the hard way or the entire Avengers base being destroyed or just some truly epic and triumphant shots.

I thought Banner would have said the phrase “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” at some point since Stark, Rogers and Thor uttered it in the first three Avengers movies respectively but I either missed it or it wasn’t the ‘Bad feeling about this’ of the franchise after all.

“I am inevitable” is a solid villain line but that word has forever been sullied by one of the most quoted characters in my family, Dr Rick from Fired Up. Everything he says is simultaneously the douchiest possible response and solid gold so “Why put off the inevitable” inevitably came to mind. My stepbrother even whispered “Dr Rick” the first time Thanos said it.

If Thor isn’t in Guardians 3, I riot like Professor Hulk in an alleyway which is to say piss-poorly but still enough to cause damage.

The Ugly
Peter and Tony finding each other only to immediately go through it all again is just mean. But like Vision dying twice in one minute, it fucking worked, ya bastards.

Last edited by Australia on Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

PreviousNext