Avengers: Endgame (2019)

What have you been watching?

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:45 pm

I was really kind of hoping after all of the speculation, Marvel would just title it Avengers 4 and the trailer would just be a release date to remind people to go see it, but hey - I won't complain about a cool trailer.

Yes, Avengers 4 is titled Avengers: Endgame. I don't know how I feel about that title, I don't think it has quite the staying power of Infinity War or the proposed Avengers: Disassembled, but oh well. The film itself is going to be preeeeetty cool.

Spoiler: show
HAWKEEEEEEEYE BITCHES

Tony and the scant few survivors of Titan are in a precarious situation, though we only see Tony monologuing as the air runs thin. Since the only spacefaring heroes we had before were the Guardians and only Rocket is still around of them, I'm going to hazard a guess that Captain Marvel will save them, though I'm always happy to be proven wrong with plot speculation.

No sight of everyone's favorite baddie, but he's doing exactly what I expected: chilling out and strolling through fields of flowers. Also, Thanos armor scarecrow.

Cap and company talk about having a plan to set things right, and here's where I desperately hope there's no quick and easy solution to the Snap. Everyone knows that the disintegrated characters, at least, are obviously coming back (jury's still out on Heimdall, Loki, Gamora, and Vision) -- contrary to the popular belief of contrarian critics and zealous film students, whether a character dies or not is not the only thing that defines "stakes". How, why, when, at what cost, and how it affects each character in the end are all critical. And in the time since I've seen Infinity War, I haven't been able to think of a quick and clean solution to the problem, because I really hope there isn't one. If Captain Marvel beats Thanos's ass and then everyone just comes back easy and beats Thanos's ass some more, the entire MCU stops at Infinity War for me. There needs to be a lasting, unforgettable weight that defines the series for as long as it continues forward.

Surprised they showed Scott seemingly back to normal size at the end: I'd thought getting him out of the Smol Realm would be a bigger deal.

It's going to be a tall order for this film to surpass the once-in-a-lifetime quality of Infinity War, but I'm hesitantly trusting them to bring this saga to a satisfying conclusion.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Pepper... you're not going to be in this movie... but I'm mentioning you any way...

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby gisambards » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Something I hope they do do, given that it's pretty clear everyone affected by the Snap will be back, is take the properties the Soul Gem was shown to have in the comics way back in the late 70s when the Avengers teamed up with Adam Warlock for the first time (not the Infinity War event, but an earlier one) where it turns out that the people "trapped" in Soul Gem are actually in a version of heaven where one feels in perfect harmony with oneself and everyone else in the gem. Those characters having had that but then losing it when they're let out would be a pretty great thing for them to have to deal with - like the twist in Buffy's Once More With Feeling, but on a massive scale.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby gisambards » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:04 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
I do not think we need spoilers here
This is a trailer to a movie that I'm willing to bet everyone who posts on this forum has seen.

The trailer is for a movie that's a direct sequel to a recent movie, and so discussion of the trailer is probably going to contain spoilers for that recent movie. Ergo, spoiler tags.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Also spoilers regarding Ant-Man and the Wasp. Speaking of which:

However Scott got out of the quantum realm, idk about anyone else, that's the movie I want to see. Talk about a fANTastic voyage.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:04 am

These trailers are ruining Avengers:Endgame for me. It's like their full of scenes to the movie their advertising!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 pm

My theory:

I agree that it would kind of cheapen things if they just resurrect everyone like nothing happened. What I am hoping is that they're not really dead. I see two possibilities for this.

One would be that the snapped people are sitting in the Soul Stone like was done in the comics.

A more interesting possibility is that Thanos actually split the Universe in two, and the snapped people are still alive in their own Universe. Maybe everyone disintegrating was an illusion, and they are alive in another Universe and saw everyone else disintegrate [of course, if that was an illusion, Nick Fury wouldn't be able to summon Captain Marvel].

Anyway, maybe they felt themselves disintegrated and were transported to an identical Universe. I think it would be really cool if Iron Man and Cap worked to recover the Infinity Stones on our side, and at the end it's revealed that all the snapped people were working on their side to get them as well, and it required both sides to use them to put things back together.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Marcuse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Tony and the scant few survivors of Titan

IIRC wasn't everyone with Tony except for Nebula snapped? I'm not sure why he's alone on the GOTG ship when he has someone who lives in and knows starships who would at the very least need him for a short time until they found a not-dead planet.

I'm personally intrigued by the "Doctor Strange cursed the Time Stone" theory. It admittedly rests on a shaky premise that when Thanos uses the time stone, instead of just using the power immediately like the rest of the stones, it uses the Strange style magic symbol stuff. There's a few odd things in the movie that aren't really addressed, such as Strange telling Ebony Maw about how he can't get a dead man's spell off the time stone for what is really quite a long time at the beginning. Strange then orchestrates a situation where he dies, suggesting he placed a spell he doesn't want broken. Those things in themselves are weird, but him being all gung ho about letting everyone else die to save the time stone, then giving it up, suggests there's something in his behaviour in the movie that means he's done something to the time stone to muck things up for Thanos.

I'm interested in how Thanos is going to work in this movie. If he's just dancing in a meadow the whole time I'll be surprised, because as the antagonist of the story he should be doing something to at least defend himself. Maybe the irony will then be that the Avengers are the aggressors in this story and Thanos is just old and wounded and tired and doesn't even care any more so someone gets to have a character moment when they choose not to kill him for revenge? I don't know.

I wonder if the split (new avengers getting snapped and old avengers being spared) means that the old team will sacrifice themselves to rescue the new ones. Of course there's a ton more people affected by it, but maybe their noble sacrifice will somehow reverse the snap or release someone who can (like Strange?) to undo it. That gets rid of the old crew in a noble heroic way while allowing them to step aside for the new people.

I don't really get what Captain Marvel is going to do in this. Presumably she's going to be the weapon they use to gank Thanos, but that doesn't seem to be too important if he's off playing in the grass. Will Thanos stir to stop the venger boyz from reversing the fateful snap? Find our next time on AVENGERS!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Marcuse wrote:
Tony and the scant few survivors of Titan

IIRC wasn't everyone with Tony except for Nebula snapped? I'm not sure why he's alone on the GOTG ship when he has someone who lives in and knows starships who would at the very least need him for a short time until they found a not-dead planet.

You're right, it was just Tony and Nebula. It's been a bit since I rewatched the film, and I could've sworn Rocket and someone else were still there. As for why he seems to be alone, maybe she powered herself down under the assumption that they were all fucked regardless? Or maybe they just don't appreciate each other's company that much so Tony keeps to himself? Or he's just being a drama queen?

I'm interested in how Thanos is going to work in this movie. If he's just dancing in a meadow the whole time I'll be surprised, because as the antagonist of the story he should be doing something to at least defend himself. Maybe the irony will then be that the Avengers are the aggressors in this story and Thanos is just old and wounded and tired and doesn't even care any more so someone gets to have a character moment when they choose not to kill him for revenge? I don't know.

I'd imagine he's going to catch wind of the survivors trying to fuck up his plan and will have to go after them again. What really intrigues me, though, is how he's still going to be an antagonist to everyone. The Gauntlet is permanently inoperable and seems to have been burnt to his arm the last time we see it, and while he might still be able to get in contact with his soldiers from his little hut, the Black Order and most of his shock troops are long dead -- and even if there were a lot of rank-and-file remaining, the Snap no doubt halved them as well. Sure, Thanos is a tough guy in his own right -- he kicked Hulk's ass functionally bare-handed -- but I can't see how he's still going to be the Big Bad and that uncertainty is super exciting.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby gisambards » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:05 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:
It's been a bit since I rewatched the film, and I could've sworn Rocket and someone else were still there.

Rocket survived, but he's in Wakanda. He and Groot split off from the rest of the Guardians earlier on and ended up with Thor, and then went with him to Earth.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 pm

The recent movie that is practically a prerequisite to membership in good standing for this site, and has already been spoiled on every other website that talks about comic book movies?

I'm not sure why it's such a problem to act with respect towards other users who may not have seen infinity war yet? Nobody's enforcing it as a rule, and nobody told anyone else to do it. I don't get what's so objectionable about people choosing to use spoiler tags for the discussion of an unreleased second half of a story someone may not have seen the first one of.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
gisambards wrote:
ghijkmnop wrote:
I do not think we need spoilers here
This is a trailer to a movie that I'm willing to bet everyone who posts on this forum has seen.

The trailer is for a movie that's a direct sequel to a recent movie, and so discussion of the trailer is probably going to contain spoilers for that recent movie. Ergo, spoiler tags.

The recent movie that is practically a prerequisite to membership in good standing for this site, and has already been spoiled on every other website that talks about comic book movies?

I'm waiting for it come to Netflix. I hope I don't get de-modded for not being in good standing.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:12 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Next