F is for Family

What have you been watching?

F is for Family

Postby cmsellers » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 am

Have any of you watched this? I think Bill Burr is overrated as a comedian, but gave it a try anyways and I am very glad I did.

My first thought was that it was similar to King of the Hill (which was an excellent show) and it does have some similarities, but it is still a very different show and I probably would not have made that comparison if animated realist sitcoms were not so rare. Either way, it is excellent, and I am looking forward to season 3 in November.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: F if for Family

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I like the show because it doesn't gloss over the fact that Frank is an abusive ass by trying to have him be charming and have the best lines like (and I think I can say this safely here where there aren't a bunch of damned stupid lunatics) Rick Sanchez of Rick and Morty. Nobody I've talked to about F is for Family has put Frank on a pedestal with a placard that reads "emulate". Thankfully.

There are parts of the show that are rough to get through because it feels like you're just watching a recording of verbal abuse set to cartoons. It's definitely not meant for mass consumption. If you like Burr's stand up you'll find the show to be similar but it isn't just a 22 minute series of rants like I expected going into it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 am

I watched the first episode after seeing the positive posts here. Not sure what to make of it. I GUESS I can see the comparison to King of the Hill, in the loosest sense. Like, a suburban dad and family, etc.

When does it get good? I know Bojack took a little time before it became the amazing show it is. How long should I stick with this show until I know whether or not I should continue?

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

You should watch both seasons. It gets really good at the end of season one. The payoff is worth the build up imo. The second season is even better. If you like twisted humor you'll be at home with the show.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Re: F is for Family

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Yeah, like MURDA said, it gets good in the middle of season 1, and then season 2 is awesome.

I didn't find the first part of season 1 unwatchable at all, but it is definitely a bit slow at first. But there are only six episodes in all of season 1, and by the end I was so glad season 2 is already out.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Season 3 is out.

So I suggest you watch it. Or uh something about put you through the fuckin' wall.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Already watched it; it was great. But after Season 3, I don't think there's any way you could reasonably compare it to King of the Hill. It's more like Bojack Horseman meets Malcolm in the Middle. But those are both great shows, so I'd still say that's a recommendation.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep