Daredevil Season 3

What have you been watching?

Daredevil Season 3

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:35 pm

After weeks of teasers, we now have the full trailer for the long-delayed third season of Netflix's Daredevil. I don't anticipate necroing the two-years dead DD thread will result in much attention or discussion (though almost all media discussion happens in fleeting minutes on Discord now, but I digress), but mods can move it there if y'all see fit.

The Netflixverse's best villain is back from prison and ready to go Born Again on Matt's ass, Bullseye's finally arrived and impersonating Daredevil (my only complaint is that my dream Bullseye casting was Walton Goggins, but they wasted him on a thankless role in Ant-Man & The Wasp), and Matt's back to his old/better Daredevil costume and ready to get more bloody than ever. And not a sign of a single fucking faceless ninja swarm.

I cannot wait for the 19th. The second season of Jessica Jones was an aimless train wreck and Luke Cage slogged on so long that its best ideas were wasted (I haven't watched Iron Fist S2 yet), but this premise is so good it would take special attention to fuck up completely.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Daredevil Season 3

Postby gisambards » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Actually excited, which I haven't been for an MCU Netflix show in ages. This optimism will last right up until the first inevitable ninja fight.

I like how they manage to convey that that's Bullseye without explicitly saying it's Bullseye, and what they're doing with him looks really interesting.

I did have a moment of disappointment, though, where there's a really brief shot of someone approaching the Daredevil costume on a stand with the helmet taken off, and the first time I saw it I actually thought it was the Black Knight's costume. The Black Knight is a third-tier Avenger that it would have been really weird - but potentially interesting - to see brought into Daredevil, but alas, my eyes tricked me, and that's not what's happening.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:49 pm

I knew there was a reason Daredevil is my favourite superhero show. Most of the others are fun enough but this show fires on all cylinders. Spectacular fight choreography, character depth and all the plotlines used each other perfectly. I always like these shows but this is the first MENU season I’ve loved since Punisher and I think it’s my favourite of the whole lot. No Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, Rick and Morty or Fargo this year, so there’s a good chance this could be my favourite show of 2018.

The Good
The parking garage fight was awesome. I don’t know if it quite tops the staircase fight from last season but it’s up there. There’s a staircase fight in this one too but wrong Daredevil.

This show may have the best use of lighting, or lack thereof, on television.

It takes a while for Matt’s senses to come back and even longer for Matt to come to his senses. Well played.

Daredevil plays with the audience well. Just when you wonder why Matt would meet Foggy just to tell him to fuck off, the next episode starts and you find out he was robbing him as well as being rude. Just when you think they have a new ally, Nadeem gets turned. Just when you think you have to go to the bathroom, something awesome happens so you go in your pants for convenience sake.

Man, Dex attacking The Bulletin was brutal. Why couldn’t he be that other Dex that only kills serial killers? Oh, wait, this universe already has the Punisher. Withdrawn.

Favourite episode of the entire series so far is 4. Just Matt bluffing his way into prison and forcing his way out while Fisk puppeteers the whole thing. I’m pretty sure it was a one-shot but even if it wasn’t that breakout sequence is spectacular.

Fisk is a freaking master manipulator. By the end of episode 6, Matt Murdock and Daredevil are both wanted fugitives in the middle of what The Dark Knight Rises should have been and Fisk barely had to lift a finger. He didn’t kill anyone with a car door this time but I think he’s even more threatening than season 1.

I really liked the Karen flashback episode but I liked the Eleven episode in the last season of Fantastic Demogorgons and Where To Find Them and a lot of people hated that one so what do I know? From the phone call a few eps before, I was thinking her dad was a cold hard bitch but I kind of see where he’s coming from now. Bleak stuff.

That finale was great. I always appreciate it when I don’t know if the hero will kill the villain and I legitimately didn’t know if Daredevil was going to kill Fisk.

Good to see Nelson, Murdock and Page back in action. I give them six episodes before they disband again but maybe third time’s the charm.

“I’d rather die as the Devil than live as Matt Murdock.”

“It took Ben decades to become this much of a pain in my ass.”

“You want a pony too?”

“Who eats a burger with a spork?”

The Bad
They still haven’t shown Danny Rand fight that dragon. In fact, we don’t see him at all. Probably for the best.

What is Father Lantom’s skin regiment? He hasn’t aged in twenty years! Well, he’s not going to get a chance to age now. Too soon?

In that crack den, Karen all but said “Matt Murdock, turn yourself into the Feds, let’s hope they don’t know you’re Daredevil.” I mean, everyone had been knocked unconscious at the time but only Matt could know if there was anyone awake or eavesdropping from another room.

Mummy/Daddy issues again? That’s four MENU seasons in a row (if you want to stretch the definition and count Davos as the main character in Iron Fist but, I mean, he was the titular role for at least half of the episodes). This was less tacked on than Luke Cage but it was nowhere near as vital as Jessica Jones. I still found it compelling but I’m sure I heard as early as Defenders that Maggie was probably his mother so it was more interesting from a Matt POV (is that an offensive phrase for a blind man who can see with his other senses?) than a viewer. I totally bought into his state of mind, it was just redundant and worthy of mentioning here.

There is a higher percentage of crooked Feds than there are crooked GCPD officers. And I didn’t think you could get higher than 100%. And even the zero that weren’t crooked seemed to grow up in Sandford (“You mean this wasn’t an accident?”)

Obligatory fuck you for not including Claire again. At least there weren’t any characters that sucked who could have swapped their screentime with Claire’s. Also I thought Punisher and Elektra were going to at least have cameos but I guess that promo picture was just one taken in season 2 that they reused.

Episode 11 had a rare quasi-optimistic ending, where instead of going ‘oh shit’, I was smiling but I would have bumped the show from an A to an A plus if after Matt pulled the rag off his head, Nadeem said “Matthew Murdock? Where’d Daredevil go? How’d you get in my house?”

I guess I don’t care too much about Iron Fist and Luke Cage getting cancelled (though I hope they at least still check in on them in the other series if they don’t get the Heroes For Hire spinoff they should have done after their first seasons) but if Daredevil gets cancelled, I’m gonna be pissed.

The Ugly
What’s that saying? Don’t smother with his own jacket and punch to death the messenger. I’m sure it’s a comfort to his family that it’s how he would have wanted to go.

Daredevil is getting better with each passing season, which happens with a lot of shows (originitis and all that), but in this case, it’s thoroughly leaving his companions’ series in its dust.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:40 am

I have only one not-so-serious complaint: I think Jason Statham was at some point approached to play Bullseye and while I realistically know that he wouldn't have done a better job than Bethel (quite the opposite, really), I am an unapologetic Statham fanboy and would have celebrated each and every scene with him in it.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 am

Aaaaaand it's gone.

It's a damn good thing that the third season was fantastic and ended on a high, nearly 100% conclusive note, because Daredevil joins Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and soon Jessica Jones and The Punisher in the grave -- beyond the shadow of a doubt axed by Disney as their own streaming service gets underway. Daredevil has the obvious advantage over most of those shows in that a good majority of it was actually... y'know, good (2.3 great seasons out of 3, as opposed to Jessica's 1 of 2, Cage's roughly 0.9 out of 2, Punisher's 0.7 of 1, and Iron Fist's wet party hat out of 2). It will hopefully be remembered as one of the best superhero shows ever.

Spoiler: show
I guess I'll just have to headcanon that Bullseye died in surgery, right on the cusp of getting his own costume.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute