Aquaman (2018)

What have you been watching?

Aquaman (2018)

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm

Hey kids, see if you can spot everything in this trailer that's just the first Thor or Black Panther!

I kid, I kid. For all the faults with DC's shambling attempt at a cinematic universe thus far (and the faults are myriad), this looks decent, if once again painfully derivative. Atlantis is cool, Jason Momoa makes up for not being the strongest actor in the world by at least being halfway charming as this bro-y version of Aquaman, and I'm enamored with the ocean so I'm predisposed to want an underwater action blockbuster. The CGI on the sea creatures doesn't look fantastic, though.

The one thing I find particularly noteworthy is that there appear to be two central antagonists: Aquaman's half-brother Orm (apparently the supervillain "Ocean Master" in the comics) who wants to go to war with the surface world, and the surface-dwelling Black Manta (whom I'm far more familiar with) who wants to go to war with the ocean. Villain overcrowding has historically been a problem in comic book movies (though both the MCU and the DCEU have sidestepped it, barring Suicide Squad and the fact that only Phase 3 Marvel has delivered a run of consistently good villains anyway), but pitting them against each other with Aquaman caught in the middle is a legitimately neat idea that I hope pays off.

(Side note: the fact that I started to mistype Aquaman as "Thor" every time I had to refer to him should maybe set off some alarms.)

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

Game Review: TALES OF XILLIA

Anime Review: MY HERO ACADEMIA SEASON 3

KEEP FIGHTING FOR NET NEUTRALITY
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prick With A Pen

Re: Aquaman (2018)

Postby KryingKraken » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Okay, I know these probably shouldn't be the first details that I bitch about, but you bullied me so here I am.

Rant 1) Dudes riding sharks. Sounds good in theory, until you look at the great whites (edit: I now realize they may be megalodons, which could null half this argument) all lined up in a row and they're all.... sitting still?? Now, not all sharks need to be swimming in order to breathe (thanks to buccal pumping), but great whites are obligate ram ventilators, and must swim almost constantly or die. Let's say this breathing wasn't an issue though; sharks also lack the swim bladders that most bony fish have, which means they aren't limited in the water column, and they can go wherever they please without fear of, well, dying. Unfortunately, their oily livers aren't necessarily buoyant enough to keep them from sinking if they stay still, so these sharks are still doomed to sink.

Rant 2) Why aren't there literally any kind of other sharks shown?? Tiger sharks can be some big mean bastards too, just ride those and one of the two problems from rant one would be solved. Easy. Thinking about this rant actually brings me to my third and final shark rant for now.

Rant 3) Great white sharks.... in the aquarium. You may have seen lil smol boi Aquaman scaring off the typical school bullies by standing with some scary ass fish behind him, most notably the great white shark. Great shot, DC, but great whites can't survive in captivity. Like, at all. The current record-holder was one that lasted for a whopping 6 months, but almost EVERY OTHER GW died within a day or two. Not to mention that sharks don't like hitting hard objects such as glass with their noses; they're extremely sensitive and can die after just a few hits.

Wow that was way longer than I anticipated, all just over a few seconds of sharks, but it's the little things in life. :')

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Meh. Craig Ferguson did it better.

"Schmibby Dibby Kabibby"- Alex Hirsch

"When in doubt, meow it out!"- Bex Taylor-Klaus
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Cerignola Olives

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 am

You forgot Cthulu's children, the fish people.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 am

What was with that goat at the end of the trailer? Kind of surreal.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Nothing wrong with some gratuitous goats.

"Schmibby Dibby Kabibby"- Alex Hirsch

"When in doubt, meow it out!"- Bex Taylor-Klaus
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Cerignola Olives