Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

What have you been watching?

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 pm

The first trailer for the sequel to 2014's American Godzilla reboot is here, and it's... something.

I don't have too high of an opinion of the original, for reasons most of its detractors don't: killing off the most potentially interesting character (and best actor) a quarter of the way through and replacing his story with Roland Emmerich-quality family drama, going to the "cut away just as something's about to happen" well so many times that it went from an interesting artistic choice to eye-rolling repetition, failing to design remotely interesting monsters for Godzilla to fight, and wholly deceptive marketing that pitched a better product than we got. I also think it's even worse in retrospect, Rogue One followed its plot and presentation structure almost beat for goddamn beat and proved Gareth Evans is a one-trick pony, but that's a personal nit to pick.

That being said -- aside from a truly terrible monologue by Vera Farmiga -- this looks fairly interesting. We get shots of not just Godzilla himself, but Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, all of whom look absolutely fantastic. Millie Bobby Brown isn't in much of the trailer, but I like her and hope she's not a decoy protagonist killed off early for cheap pathos. And since Evans has stepped down for Michael Dougherty, a director I can always rely on to at least be unconventional for better or worse, all of this probably won't be false advertising.

I'm not sold on the "we have to find all of these legendary monster heroes before the threat arrives" tack this franchise is taking (I much prefer the "terrifying manifestation of nature vs humanity" idea used by the 1954 film and Shin Godzilla), but since this is a cinematic universe now, I guess it's unavoidable.

My boys Gigan and Hedorah had better get at least a post-credits tease.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:37 am

...Why claire de lune?
I mean, you could say it's for the dissonance, but nothing's really being destroyed in like 90% of the trailer.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Marcuse » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:01 am

Are we completely sure that Charles Dance is aware that he's not playing Tywin Lannister in everything he's in now? Why would they have a clip of him saying "long live the king" in a Godzilla trailer other than to try to cash in on that series' hype?

I will admit to being the first person to not care about any Godzilla franchise, but I'm not at all okay with the mythologising of these monsters, and the "humans are the real monster" line they're taking with it either. It's a trite "lesson" they throw in to inject a moral direction into a movie about giant monsters firing nuclear roars at each other. I feel like it'd be better to have them just fighting because that's what they do and make humans be unwittingly caught up in it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 pm

FUCKING HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Now this is a Kaiju movie trailer. The terrible monologue, weird "gather the mythical heroes" sentiment, and tonal strangeness are gone, and instead we get a little bit of Millie Bobby Brown's acting before plunging right into proper monster shit. And I may be alone on this, but the sheer sense of scale and intensity in this trailer has gotten me all tingly both times I've watched it.

There's some dumb trailer shit (you'd better believe there's a "you gotta be kidding [me]" and a cut off "oh shit" right before an action swell), but I'm looking forward to this way more now.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 am

I misread this as "Godzilla: King of the Mormons," and now I really want to see a movie about a Mormon Godzilla.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player