Roseanne

What have you been watching?

Roseanne

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 am

It's back! The classic sitcom featuring most of the old cast debuted with back to back episodes. It feels like it picked up where it left off. Except that for some reason we didn't get to see the last 23 or so years of what happened to the characters.

Same sense of humor, the one bit with Dan finding something in the garage fridge after looking everywhere for it was hilarious. The original series is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. I was not disappointed by the new series. So far, but hey you can't go wrong with Whitney Cummings, Norm MacDonald and Wanda Sykes writing your TV show.

The way they handled Dan being (canonically) dead but alive in the premiere was
Spoiler: show
hand waved in a circular way by saying it was just part of Roseanne's writing, since that was how him being alive for the final season but everything else being weird was handled. In the original series the last episode revealed the bizarre things that happened were Roseanne's writings that we saw. They came from her grieving Dan who dropped dead iirc at Darlene's wedding which I'm pretty sure was the previous season's finale. So idk what's even real anymore but I'm okay with it. :D

I don't want to spoil anything else but rest assured there's a lot of easter eggs for fans.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Roseanne

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:00 am

I saw the first two episodes last night. I wanted to like it, but personally,
Spoiler: show
If I’m watching a reboot of a ‘90s sitcom, I don’t want to hear about Kaiser Cheeto DJ Drumpf much of anything political. Other things:

Sarah Chalke (Becky 2.0/future baby recipient) irritates me on a visceral level (I don’t know if she’s going to be a regular character, but I suspect she might). I thought Aunt Jackie was kind of insufferable, as were the new kids. Also, I’m not sure if I missed it or they didn’t say, but at the end of the finale, Roseanne said that Becky was actually married to David, and Darlene was with Mark the whole time. Did they retcon that as well?

There may have been other things I didn’t like, but those stick out in my mind right now.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't want to hear about that either but it's everywhere. Still. And it's not going away. We're dealing with a trainwreck and everyone is commenting on it even a year and a half later. It definitely dates the show. I don't like stand up specials with political rants because they get stale quickly. But idk, this show always dropped political references so it fits but yeah it won't age well.

When was Aunt Jackie not insufferable? If you think that was something then you'll be driven up the wall by her performance in Lady Bird.

Also you might want to rethink your Sarah Chalke comment before the Rick and Morty fanbase has a cow. And does something terrible to said cow.

And yes they retconned the thing you said too. I don't believe they mentioned it specifically but going by the context of the current family status it's gotta be that.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 pm

I liked Sarah Chalke in How to Live With Your Parents For the Rest of Your Life. Also, Scrubs. I have no opinion on the new Roseanne because I found the old one eminently forgettable and therefore don't feel like watching the followup.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player