Won't You Be My Neighbor?

What have you been watching?

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 am

A movie chronicling the work and ideals of Fred Rogers is releasing this June. For those unaware due to not being from America or too young he was the star of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. He's kind of a legend.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:23 am

No. I won't be your neighbour. You hold wild parties all week and keep me awake. So no.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 am

This is another one of those times where I get to(?) stand along the sidelines and watch people enjoy the heck out of something I have no nostalgia for. It's not that I don't like Mister Rogers, I've just never seen it. This one seems to be especially popular among almost everyone in the country (and world) outside of my family. From what I've read, he was a positive influence on millions and that's great! And he never had any scandals!

I might end up watch anyway, because he was in entertainment industry and I'm interested in that.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Marcuse » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 am

JamishT wrote:This is another one of those times where I get to(?) stand along the sidelines and watch people enjoy the heck out of something I have no nostalgia for. It's not that I don't like Mister Rogers, I've just never seen it. This one seems to be especially popular among almost everyone in the country (and world) outside of my family. From what I've read, he was a positive influence on millions and that's great! And he never had any scandals!

I might end up watch anyway, because he was in entertainment industry and I'm interested in that.

Gonna just say that the Mr Rogers thing was something I only even heard of as an adult and have never seen.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm

So one thing I didn't know until this weekend was that apparently a lot of conservatives hate Mr. Rogers.

They basically blame him for the whole "participation trophy" culture by being nice to people and telling them they were special.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:15 pm

So they're special enough to talk about other people on TV like their opinion matters but fuck everyone else. That's Fox News for ya. Never you mind all the Upward sports programs sponsored by churches, some of which are in conservative leaning areas. For those unaware the Upward sports programs stress "biblical values" which is vague imo but more important to this topic is that they don't keep score. There are no winners or losers. So... I guess the Lord is wrong but unless you inform Fox News viewers of that, they'll never know so it'll be okay.

I also found out that Tom Hanks is going to star in a biopic about Mr. Rogers later this year. He plays everybody. He doesn't look anything like Fred Rogers. Be more creative with the casting of movies please. Tom Hardy and Tom Hanks aren't the only options to play your character.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby mancityfooty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:47 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:No. I won't be your neighbour. You hold wild parties all week and keep me awake. So no.

duuuude, just come over and hang. we have the beer bong ready for you.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby LaoWai » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:49 am

iMURDAu wrote: For those unaware the Upward sports programs stress "biblical values" which is vague imo but more important to this topic is that they don't keep score.

Ergo, Donald Trump is a winner in "biblical values" while anyone with the last name of Clinton is a loser. Hey, it's not a point-based system, and it doesn't matter which side of the infidelity fence you fall on; it's all about "biblical values." The tale of the prodigal son clearly shows it's better to be forgiven than to forgive, right? The more "biblical" choice is so obvious, it's nearly written out.

Sidetrack(on point): I cannot wait to see a film about Mr. Rogers. Every time I refrain from [cursing someone] on the webs, it's mostly because of Mr. Rogers. I do lose my stuff now and then, but the better parts of me were probably instilled by Fred's work. The man was to my understanding of life and kindness and humility what Jim Henson was to creativity. Watch him testify before Congress if you've got the youtube (which I don't) and the patience, and the just plain-good-intent, and you'll see why he's so important to so many. Lives like his happen less often than they should.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 am

Marcuse wrote:Gonna just say that the Mr Rogers thing was something I only even heard of as an adult and have never seen.

Same with me, though I don't know if his show ever aired in Hungary. Not that it matters much, I grew up without a TV. So I'm left out of a lot of nostalgic reminiscing.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep