The Cloverfield Paradox/The God Particle

What have you been watching?

The Cloverfield Paradox/The God Particle

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:36 pm

The third film in the cloverfield series got released directly in netflix today.

I friggin loved it. Just like 10 Cloverfield Lane, this confirms what I suspected all along. This is a(n unofficial) retelling of the Half Life universe as a series of films, and holy shit the way it builds up the universe after the first two is amazing.

By itself, I'd give it a 7. It's not super hard sci fi, it's mostly like what I hear Event Horizon be described as. "Spooky stuff goes on on a spaceship while a sci-fi plot happens in the background." There's some really cool themes about the energy crisis

But honestly, this is the first original cinematic universe since Star Wars I give a shit about. Its strength is in how it makes Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane work, as it's sort of a prequel to both. This is the Black Mesa incident of the Cloverfield Multiverse.

Spoiler: show
Same as 10 Cloverfield Lane, the last ten minutes made me sit up and perk my ears like a dog because holy fucking shit they confirmed that the Cloverfield Incident happened in the original universe from the Cloverfield Paradox, and there are other Clovers still around. But Humanity's still survived, and as the husband's SMSes show, the people in other vaults aren't John Goodman, there's an actual survivor network that can find people and everything.

I'm super excited for the next movie, which is about WW2 Nazi Zombies, another awesome videogame trope. (And also Zombies are a Half Life Trope too for people counting)

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: The Cloverfield Paradox/The God Particle

Postby sunglasses » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 pm

I saw the teaser and screamed in excitement.

I cannot wait to see this.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Jeckel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:13 am

How original can a universe be when two of three movies originally had nothing to do with the franchise and this one was unconnected all way up until production had already begun? I'll admit that I've been biased again Abrams since I was a kid and saw his fake scifi turd of a movie Forever Young and even more so after his Star Wars audition in the form of a Star Trek reboot crapped all over one of the most important franchises in modern history, but, putting those feelings aside, I still don't get what people see in this obviously cobbled together franchise. Personally, I would have much preferred to see The Cellar and God Particle instead of these lame replasterings into a franchise that has never been good to begin with.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am

Err, an original cinematic universe is a cinematic universe that isn't adapted from something else. Original's a binary there.

Also Cloverfield was amazing, way better than a lot of monster horror. Found footage might be famous as a cheap genre full of jumpscares, but Cloverfield and Blair Witch are all about the atmosphere, have no jump scares, and are sort of revolutionary.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Australia » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Cloverfield was okay, 10 Cloverfield Lane was fantastic and this lies somewhere in the middle for me. It reminded me of that movie Life from last year, only done better. I'm sure I've mentioned a thousand times that if a movie is set in space, I'm sold. I liked the hints of the origin but my favourite parts were the bonkers, batshit stuff, because that's generally what I look for in horror - stuff that I haven't seen before.
Spoilerfield
Everything to do with the arm was great - very Evil Dead - and the last shot was awesome. I think they could have cut the Earth stuff so the ending could have been completely out of the blue, but it's mostly because that story didn't go anywhere.

I'm not chomping at the bit for more Cloverfield movies but as long as they keep being solid, I'm sure I'll keep watching them. As far as current movie universes, it's probably smack in the middle, with MCU being a frontrunner and Fast and Furious taking up the rear.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 pm

I really enjoyed the film. I like Cloverfield better than 10 Cloverfield especially once I saw a copy that wasn't so "dark". I loved the special effects and I like stories that don't tie up every piece of the storyline. Life doesn't tie up everything into a nice bow when you die and neither should stories.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm

The story of the first one was decent and I've never cared about loose ends either but found footage annoys me and all of the characters got on my nerve. And I don't think horror necessarily needs likable characters provided it makes up for it by being scary or hilarious but outside of the subway sequence, I can't think of a thrilling scene. And I need more monster from my monster movie, unless its a background plot like the latest instalments. I still think the moment from this franchise that will stay in my brain forever is John Goodman twerking to I Think We're Alone Now.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:04 am

I really liked it. It followed the Sunshine blueprint a bit (but that's okay because I love that movie as well).

I did take issue with the ending in that:

Spoiler: show
The giant Cloverfield/Slusho monster looked a tad ridiculous.

Anyway, glad that Zemo found work after that whole sordid affair regarding Mission Report: December 16, 1991.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep