Is there such a thing as a objectively bad movie?

What have you been watching?

Is there such a thing as a objectively bad movie?

Postby DanteHoratio » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:19 pm

What do you think? I don't believe in objectively bad movies. It's all opinion based. It's all subjectivity.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Re: Is there such a thing as a objectively bad movie?

Postby SandTea » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:27 pm

I would need a clear definition of "movie" to answer more precisely. Here is the IMDB page for 10 hours of paint drying. It has a rating of 9.3.

It was submitted knowing the BBFC, the UK version of Americas MPAA, had to watch all 600 minutes to give it a grade. As a piece of protest art using visual medium, I applaud it but as a piece of entertainment to be enjoyed more intimately like at a cinema or at home, I would call it objectively bad. On the other hand I have probably enjoyed a good ~90 minutes of live stream from the ISS just watching the Earth spin by. Neither I would call "A movie" though.

"Bad" is also too vague a metric for me to really work with. I do think it would be acceptable to say that individual aspects can be done poorly. Take early photography. If a photo I paid for came out blurry or obscured, I would think it fair to call the outcome a "bad picture".

Going with those two examples, I would say, yes. A movie can be objectively bad.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Marcuse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:07 am

I think it depends entirely on the reason the movie is being made and the aim it's intended to fulfil. If I make what I think is a serious drama and people are laughing at it, then it's a bad movie because I wanted to say "serious" but people are hearing "hilarious".

Take The Room as an example. It's obvious that Tommy Wiseau wanted that to be taken seriously as a real drama, but people know it and like it only as an unintentionally funny joke movie that's fit only to be ridiculed. In that sense, The Room is a bad movie. In less edge case scenarios, if movies intend to deliver a subtle message, but it doesn't get through, I think it's fair to say that that movie could be better. If you see movies as a medium intended to convey a message, and judge them based on whether that message is conveyed or not, you can say that it's approaching objective when you base it on general opinion on the movie.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:27 am

And thus, the first real task set out for a fully functional AI is to determine what is, objectively, the worst movie ever.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 am

Yes.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Marcuse wrote:I think it depends entirely on the reason the movie is being made and the aim it's intended to fulfil. If I make what I think is a serious drama and people are laughing at it, then it's a bad movie because I wanted to say "serious" but people are hearing "hilarious".

Take The Room as an example.

That's the example I thought too when I read the question. Plan 9 from Outer Space could be another example; it was supposed to be a horror film, but it never scared anyone. Or Reefer Madness, which was supposed to be anti-marijuana propaganda, but ended up being so bad that stoners watch it for ironic entertainment.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep