Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

What have you been watching?

Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:45 pm



My God, I remember when the first iron man came out way back in like 08 or something. I was still in highschool, the housinggn bubble was going to burst, our president wasn't black OR ORANGE yet.
  • 4

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
User avatar
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm
Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:25 pm

This trailer doesn't blow my mind with its quality like Ragnarok's did, but I am still so so so so so so hyped. I've nothing but trust in the MCU at this stage.

My only complaint is helmet-less Thanos. He just... kinda looks less like an omnicidal tyrant and more like a misshapen purple whale. I keep expecting to see baleen and trapped krill when he opens his mouth.
  • 3

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

Game Review: TALES OF XILLIA

Anime Review: MY HERO ACADEMIA SEASON 3

ARTICLE 13 MUST BE STOPPED
User avatar
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Newfoungengzealaustrermany
Show rep
Title: Prick With A Pen

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby DinoVader » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:My only complaint is helmet-less Thanos. He just... kinda looks less like an omnicidal tyrant and more like a misshapen purple whale. I keep expecting to see baleen and trapped krill when he opens his mouth.


This came up with some of my friends as well (by which I mean, I brought it up):

Thanos debate.PNG
Vry srs debate pt. 1
Thanos debate.PNG (31.13 KiB) Viewed 1166 times


Thanos debate 2.PNG
Even seriouser
Thanos debate 2.PNG (366.27 KiB) Viewed 1166 times


Thanos debate III.PNG
Mostest serioustest
Thanos debate III.PNG (347.18 KiB) Viewed 1166 times


Thanos debate the Fourth.PNG
The serious debate singularity has been achieved
Thanos debate the Fourth.PNG (312.7 KiB) Viewed 1166 times


Also, uh, I liked the trailer and stuff. It was pretty neat.
  • 8

<ToBeKateinued>a cloaca is an asshole the way that 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is a shampoo.
User avatar
DinoVader
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 pm
Show rep
Title: Private incestigator

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:32 pm

I also think Thanos looks doofy without his helmet and his chin game is top notch. Honestly, the design of him as a big purple asshole isn't super inventive or interesting, so I hope they do something to make him more than just "wooo bad guy we've been trailing forever".

The other thing that comes to mind is that there's just so many characters in this. Like, just sooooo many. I know that they won't have to set up who they all are or anything, because MCU is better planned than that, but I will be interested to see how they actually generate a forward moving plot while keeping so many people in the picture. Of the top of my head, I can infer from the trailer:

Scarlet Witch and Vision get it on.
Thor has an eyepatch for some reason.
Loki is evil? Or not?
Spiderman has a new suit (unless it was in homecoming).
Black Panther now has an army with his own cast of characters to deal with.
Dr Strange and also Wong turn up (how the hell does magic coexist with superpowers???)
Cap has a super grimdark beard.
Black Widow is blonde now???
Where's Hawkguy?
Do we ever see War Machine again?

Can a couple of hours of movie answer all of that, AND deliver a plot about Thanos at the same time? I don't know. I worry it might collapse under its own weight. They even had to pop in the GotG right at the end even though everyone knew full well they were going to be part of the story, just because there's too much shit for a two minute trailer.
  • 2

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6510
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby KryingKraken » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Marcuse wrote:The other thing that comes to mind is that there's just so many characters in this. Like, just sooooo many. I know that they won't have to set up who they all are or anything, because MCU is better planned than that, but I will be interested to see how they actually generate a forward moving plot while keeping so many people in the picture. Of the top of my head, I can infer from the trailer:

Scarlet Witch and Vision get it on.
Thor has an eyepatch for some reason.
Loki is evil? Or not?
Spiderman has a new suit (unless it was in homecoming).
Black Panther now has an army with his own cast of characters to deal with.
Dr Strange and also Wong turn up (how the hell does magic coexist with superpowers???)
Cap has a super grimdark beard.
Black Widow is blonde now???
Where's Hawkguy?
Do we ever see War Machine again?

Can a couple of hours of movie answer all of that, AND deliver a plot about Thanos at the same time? I don't know. I worry it might collapse under its own weight. They even had to pop in the GotG right at the end even though everyone knew full well they were going to be part of the story, just because there's too much shit for a two minute trailer.


I agree with your concerns about how IW will juggle all of its characters AND craft a plot to include them all. After watching Thor: Ragnarok though, it answered some of the questions you had, like Thor's edgy eyepatch, Loki waffling between whether he wants to hang out with the cool kids or the good guys, and Doctor Strange just absolutely fucking around with Thor using his magic. Still leaves a lot of questions though and I'm a bit worried about how they're going to answer them??

Either way, I'd still pay $10 to sit and bask in the radiance of Thanos' Jaw for a couple hours.
  • 5

Don't mind me.
User avatar
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: Someplace cold with sliced milk
Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Delta Jim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:15 am

Image
  • 2

User avatar
Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm
Location: Illinois
Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 pm

The final trailer has dropped!



Plenty of peeks at the interactions between the Avengers and the Guardians, and way more kickass action. But the most important thing?

Spoiler: show
Thanos will wear his helmet at some point after all!
  • 1

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

Game Review: TALES OF XILLIA

Anime Review: MY HERO ACADEMIA SEASON 3

ARTICLE 13 MUST BE STOPPED
User avatar
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Newfoungengzealaustrermany
Show rep
Title: Prick With A Pen

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 am

I wanna see if they can fit the 'immigrant song' in again while Thor kicks some ass.
  • 0

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4072
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Australia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:02 pm

So I’ve been to the cinema a ton so far this year, using various movies to tide my appetite until the main course that is Infinity War (a third of the way through the year? Guess it's a long dessert in this analogy). I expected one of two things – that this would knock A Quiet Place, Game Night or Ready Player One out of my top three or worst case, it would be dumb fun like Rampage and Tomb Raider and at least be better than The Commuter. Anyway, I just got back and what did I think? Well, you’ll just have to read the review to find ou-IT WAS THE BEST FUCKING MOVIE I’VE EVER SEEN AND EVERY OTHER MOVIE IN INFINITE TIMELINES AND UNIVERSES AND REALITIES CAN SUCK IT!

The Good
EVERYTHING!


The Bad
Blasphemy! NOTHING!


The Ugly
Anyone who hates this movie’s mother.


Ahem. Sorry about that. Let me try that again with some objectivity.

The Good
For starters, no matter how many times I hear it, I always get a tingle in my loins when I hear the Avengers theme. It happened so many times in this movie, an usher had to bring me some new pants from the lost and found.

I can’t think of any other movie that could pull off different plotlines happening on various sides of the universe. Do universes have sides? I don’t have time for this nonsense, this section will be long enough as it is.

I believe in my Ragnarok review, I predicted Thor getting a cyber-eye from Stark Industries and I was half-right. But it makes so much more sense that Rocket Rabbit’s obsession with stealing body parts pays off this way.

I thought off the bat that if anyone deserved to give Thanos the finishing blow it was Gamora, and it seemed so did Marvel because they ruled that out with a fakeout almost immediately and I realised they’re not going to do it twice so it opened up the floor to many others and subsequently halved those options.

Thor was probably my favourite character in the movie but there are so many butting heads, it’s impossible to tell. He had so many badass moments and his interplay with the Guardians was great. I mean the highlight was him showing up in Wakanda and just laying waste but the forging of the axe, assuming Rocket was Captain because he's clearly the smartest (true) and just the sheer trauma he’s been through the past few… days?... I really think he’s primed for the defeating punch (touch groot). Scarlet Witch was awesome too and presuming I can’t put Thanos in a love-to-hate loophole, I guess due to his magic fight with the gloved man himself, Dr Strange seals up my top three.

I didn’t have to understand Thanos to consider him an interesting threat but goddamn that motive is an interesting one. A shame it has to reside within a psychopath who doesn’t listen to reason.

Drax was hilarious as always. ‘Why is Gamora?’ ‘I’ve been here an hour.’ ‘I can take it.’

Peter Dinklage as the largest character in the movie.

Guardians versus a tenth of the Avengers was a fun inevitable little fight. Who am I kidding? All the action in this movie is amazing and it is action-packed so I can't break down every battle. Just presume I broke down all the fights here because I'm too sleepy to do it myself.

Surprise Red Skull. Look, I don’t love the first Cap film but it set a lot of stuff up. There was even a little foreCivil Warshadowing with Bucky looking at his future victim and the way he would use to make the murder look like an accident (Howard and a car). It’s nuts I tell ya.

The spider legs. Outstanding. While I’m on suits, how do Iron Man’s suits get cooler with every movie?

The ships. The space donut was cool. I’d keep listing but it’s 5, no, 6 in the freaking morning and I still have a bad section to invent crap stuff to list. That sentence made no sense but there’s no going back now.

I saw it on opening night so wasn't guilted by the cleaners to leave before the post-credit scene, since a hundred other people were firmly seated. I don't think I could have got upanyway, even with a full bladder. It took a while for the movie to wash over me and snap me back to reality (oh, they're goes Rabbit).

Okay, I’m tempted to put this in the dreaded The Bad section because it made me feel bad but it’s intentional and I’ve delayed it enough so… the deaths:
-I’m sure the people whinging about The Last Jedi’s answers will be like ‘why did they go through all the trouble of evacuating Asgard in the last movie if they’re all going to die five minutes later anyway?’ (and ‘why did the Guardians save Xandar from Ronan if it’s going to be decimated in a throwaway comment?’ Waah.) Well, to me, it was a freaking horrifying start to a movie and I was all-in from there. Just knowing Thanos and the henchman just wiped out Korg and Valkyrie along with an entire race before the film even started, it got me, considering I only met them six months ago. Loki was the one character I was sure wouldn’t survive the movie, even if it did end up being a trickster move but hell, going out protecting his brother and from a movie standpoint showing Thanos honours his promises to trade a life (or at least not directly kill one specific person) for infinite power, which comes into play several times, one with a more, well, opposite tit-for-his-tat. Poor Heimdall. Spent all of Ragnarok protecting the citizens only to see them all destroyed anyway.
- Gamora’s death was freaking heartbreaking. I was prepped for Steve or Vision or even Tony but I was really hoping for a last second Nebula rescue that never came.
-Vision was my favourite part of Age of Ultron, assuming the default Hulkbuster fight is off the table, and I was hoping against hope he’d survive but the more they focused on his relationship with Wanda, the more sure I was a tragedy was coming. But they killed him twice! Come on! You sons of bitches really pulled one over on me.
-The snap. Oh, God, the snap. So many devastating deaths, but Spiderman’s was probably the hardest, just a kid over his head pleading not to die. It really did a number on Thanos’ arm though so karma, I guess? I mean, the more that died, the more obvious it was that those people affected by the snap will definitely be brought back and it’s just the pre-snaps that are up for debate, but talk about stakes. Everyone the Avengers care about are literally ash until they pull a Hulk Hail Hydra Martha Mary out of their collective asses and fix that severely damaged gauntlet. Glove Snap by a CGI villain will give him satisfaction. Glove snap, baby.

On a lighter note…

The biggest laugh in my theatre was the Squidward line.

“I am Groot.” “I am Steve Rogers.”

“Mr Lord. Please. Starlord is fine.”

“Is Footloose still a classic?” “It never was.”

“You ever seen that super old movie, Aliens?”

“I’m Doctor Strange.” “Oh, we’re using our made up names. I’m Spiderman.” (Yeah, it was in the trailer. What do you want from me? It’s a good line.)

“You act like you’ve never seen a spaceship before.”

“I took groot as an elective on Asgard.”

“You’re embarrassing me in front of the wizards.”


The Bad
Um…

Give me a second…

Okay, Iron Man evidently has a one in 16000615 chance (if I recall correctly, give or take the possible futures removed by Strange’s orchestrations) of getting the infinity stones off Thanos and recovering everything and everyone they’ve lost. Tony Stark is a fantastic character but I’m very curious to see why it’s down to him other than him being the kickstarter of the franchise. Seriously, this isn’t a negative unless it doesn’t have a sensible resolution later. He makes more sense than Hawkeye.

No Hawke… I couldn’t say that with a straight face. He’ll be in the next one with Ant-Man and Hulk and anyone else who was too incommunicado or imprisoned or throwing a temper-tantrum and hiding in his scientist shell to help out.

Aeroplane food. Am I right, folks? Oh, right, the movie. Uh...

Everyone’s favourite hundred-year-old semi-stable sleeper agent is back in business and… shoots a bunch of things. Yeah, I was late on board the Bucky train but now that I love him, I was disappointed he didn’t have a kick someone off a motorbike/rhinobot and ride off in one fluid movement moment this time around and was more or less background fodder.

I want to criticise Quill’s reaction but it’s in character and had to happen for a chance to succeed later. Seems Strange was positive Thanos would end up with the stone and it had to happen in a specific way with any hope of defeating him in the future. So I can’t really analyse the Strange, Stark and Peters scenes that much.

I ruined my only pants.

Steve didn’t have an impactful leadership moment. I mean there was the ‘we won’t trade a life’ that mirrored Thanos’ endgame nicely but there was no ‘Then we’ll do that together too’-type line that gives you goosebumps. But I guess we know them well enough to already be rooting for them so another noble sentiment might be unnecessary.

Why wasn’t Kraglin on the Milano? Is he back with the Ravagers? I mean they don’t have to mention it since it’s been at least three years since Guardians 2 was set, we can assume he’s on holiday or they had a falling out or something but I have to put some nitpicky stuff in here to pad the section and make it look fair, even if nothing is wrong with the movie.

Speaking of which, the timeline is officially contradicting itself. Homecoming confirmed the New York attack took place in 2009 and now Tony’s saying it was six years ago and was in 2012 afterall. Boohoo, I’m broken up about it. But seriously, that did momentarily distract me even if I don’t ultimately care.

Is "Thanos will return" supposed to be reassuring?

Look, there’s a 90% chance I’ll see this again in the next few weeks and 100% chance I’ll forget to be on the lookout but if I find anything that’s even not good or bad, I’ll cram it in here as filler.


The Ugly
In the end credits scene when Nick Fury says ‘Mutha-’, Thanos didn’t arrive and say ‘How did you know that name!?’ and reverse the snap.

Next review, Deadpool 2. Should be funny. Then… I don’t have to do Solo, do I? There won’t be any Jedi in it so it can’t really fall into the superhero category and best case scenario, it’s a fun episode of Firefly, worst case it’s a dumpster fire like the rest of the prequels (I guess Rogue One has a few redeeming moments that pull it from dumpster fire to meh). I suppose if I end up seeing it at the cinema (Chewie will probably make me cave) and it has any substance to it whatsoever, I can do a mini one of these but after Infinity War, I can’t imagine anything feeling epic to me for at least six months.

No, you're a nerd!
  • 5

Last edited by Australia on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Snowflame
User avatar
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Take a wild guess
Show rep
Title: Anna And The Halfpocalypse

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby DinoVader » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:39 am

I couldn't remember what this damn thread was named despite posting in it before, so I missed my shot at rub-it-in-everyone's-faces glory by making the first post-watching... Post. Anyway, I loved the movie. Now here comes spoiler-y stuff in the form of stream of consciousness musings because 1) I don't have a cool, established review format, and 2) Australia already said like most of the good stuff. Damn that Australia. *shakes fist at continent*

Spoiler: show
First off, I think the movie did a really good job with balancing the characters, their screentime, and their different group match-ups despite the ridiculously large cast. Some obviously got more than others (basically everyone in space > everyone stuck on Earth), but overall I thought they managed a pretty decent balance.

Second, Loki got to use the "we have a Hulk" line which makes a two for two on Loki getting his Hulk vindication. At least he died having gotten that.

I believe Thor has a line when he's talking to Trash Rabbit saying that Thanos killed "half his people" which goes with Thanos' theme in the movie, but then... Thanos wiped out all the dwarves except Peter Dinklage? That bugged me because NITPICKING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WATCHING SOMETHING YOU'RE A FAN OF, ENJOYMENT BE DAMNED. Side note, giant Peter Dwarflage might knock Matt Damon off the pedestal as funniest MCU cameo to me.

I never liked First Avenger much, including Red Skull, but I like that he was included anyway, especially as spoopy floating space Dementor/Bridge of (Soul) Death-keeper.

I liked the Doctor Strange future-ogling. He knew the only path that had any chance of defeating Thanos meant letting Thanos win. Now it seems like it's just about waiting for Stark to pick up on that, though considering his worst fear - having everyone around him die without being able to do anything about it - came true, I'd say it's fair if it takes him at least a couple of minutes to piece that together.

Also, someone on the world wide webs made this:
Image
Of the 24 people in the poster, 12 are dead and 12 are alive: perfectly balanced as all things should be (just ignore that there's technically been no visual conformation on Shuri and Wong, but I didn't see them die, so they don't count cuz dems da rules).

Even though I know probably basically everyone who died will come back, I thought the last ten or so minutes of the movie really did feel like a big emotional impact, especially because it was all so... Quiet. There was no big scary rapture-y noise, just people being scared and confused while disappearing or watching people around them disappear. It helped that they actually made Thanos have some level of emotional complexity instead of just "big purple space dude punches the universe into death" and I think it's probably the best MCU example of a villain who believes he's doing the right thing (and actually suffering personal losses for his cause as well). Also, Tom Holland did an amazing job with his death scene, and while it wasn't really a question for me after Homecoming, his performance in Infinity War solidified him as the best Peter Parker and Spiderman to me. It really did feel like he was just a child whose fears suddenly caught up with him despite his powers.

As for the overall experience of watching it, I'm really happy I decided to go for the big national midnight premiere. People were super hyped, and you could tell that the people watching the movie were invested in it beyond just watching something to munch popcorn to. There was clapping, there was excited yelling, and everyone cracked up when Marvel trolled the audience by making the movie end card the well-known MCU phrase "Someone will return" be "Thanos will return." But perhaps the greatest part of watching the premiere was that PEOPLE KNEW TO KEEP THEIR GODDAMN ASSES IN THEIR GODDAMN SEATS SERIOUSLY WHY DO PEOPLE NOT GET THAT AT THIS POINT IF YOU'RE WATCHING A MARVEL MOVIE, YOU'LL GET VITAL BONUS INFORMATION LIKE WATCHING HOWARD THE DUCK GET DRUNK.
...
Anyway. I liked the after credits scene too. I'm glad they decided against trying to fit an actual appearance from Captain Marvel into a movie that was so packed that it really couldn't have done her introduction any justice, and I thought making her part of the cliffhanger by just having her be Nick Fury's "oh shit" panic button pager.... Call? (I don't know, I'm not old enough to know pager lingo) and seeing that his distress signal had been received was a nice way of balancing her pre-solo movie introduction and setting up her arrival in Avengers 4.
  • 5

<ToBeKateinued>a cloaca is an asshole the way that 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is a shampoo.
User avatar
DinoVader
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 pm
Show rep
Title: Private incestigator

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 am

I've just seen it and generally, I share this sentiment:
Australia wrote:IT WAS THE BEST FUCKING MOVIE I’VE EVER SEEN AND EVERY OTHER MOVIE IN INFINITE TIMELINES AND UNIVERSES AND REALITIES CAN SUCK IT!

Truly jawdropping.

However, three things stand out that would've ruined the movie for me if it were any less amazing overall:
Spoiler: show
Thanos's motivation. While I appreciate what they did with the character in that they actually made him kind of deep, I disagree with Australia about the "interesting" part. The "kill many to make life better for the remaining" thing has been done to death. The most recent example I can think of (and I don't see a lot of movies) is Sam Jackson in Kingsman.

I was all emotional about the deaths, especially Parker's since Holland acted it so well, until I remembered that a second Spiderman had already been announced. And a new Guardians. And a bunch of others that I couldn't remember, but those two were enough to suck out all of the emotion for those deaths. Now I'm just pissed at Marvel that they did that. I mean, I'm guessing this ending had been planned for a long time, so why did they not just wait with the announcements until the next Avengers?
This is more of a meta-reason and not the movie's fault, but still. Fortunately, the rest of the movie made up more than enough for that.

Thor's plotline, while being great scenes with an awesome payoff, kind of ruined his development in Ragnarok. "You're not the God of Hammers; you're the God of Thunder and can kick major ass all on your own. Lol jk, you're the God of Axes."

Red Skull's cameo was just plain weird, but I'm assuming it'll pay off in future films, so I'll reserve my judgment for now.
  • 3

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
User avatar
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:33 am
Location: Bier und Wurst
Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Australia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Warning - if you work with dickheads, watch the movie immediately. I always avoid the internet pre-watching new blockbusters but I am so happy I saw Infinity War right away because a guy at work was laying out the entire plot last night. He's one of the people that don't care about spoilers, which is fine, but he seems to think that people who do are wrong. And the others were just casual viewers who are too mature for superhumans blasting each other for two hours so fortunately they didn't seem to care.

Spoiler: show
Dino, as long as we're sharing Too Soon memes...
thanos soul.jpg
thanos soul.jpg (54.87 KiB) Viewed 721 times

I missed that line about the half that survived. That's good. I must have still been laughing from Thor and the Guardians trying to out-tragic backstory each other.

Piter Lauchy wrote:Thanos's motivation. While I appreciate what they did with the character in that they actually made him kind of deep, I disagree with Australia about the "interesting" part. The "kill many to make life better for the remaining" thing has been done to death. The most recent example I can think of (and I don't see a lot of movies) is Sam Jackson in Kingsman.

That's not a bad point. I guess it stood out for me because it was a more egalitarian (in a very loose definition of the word) approach where everyone was up for grabs whereas Sammy J was a hypocrite, keeping all his rich and important mates safe.

As for the deaths, I love fantasy movies because we get to see things we don't see in real life. Death is permanent here but in movies, there's resurrections and flashbacks and ghosts so our favourite characters are never really gone. Does that mean movies are my religion? Well, they do fulfill me. Does that make my life sad? That was rhetorical, you didn't have to shout YES in my ear. But the final deaths got me because the characters don't know they're coming back and it's real to them. And the stakes are higher because they couldn't stop Thanos with twice the numbers. How are they going to bring him down and hopefully fight for their will to revive. There's also a slim possibility that they are dead permanently and the sequels have Shuri as Black Panther and Miles Morales as Spiderman and Aunt May as Groot, etc. though it feels unlikely after just one solo film a piece and something more akin to what will happen in Avengers 4 with Iron Man and Cap passing the gauntlet. My point is I'm along for the ride and that shit was tragic for me. I get why knowing for a fact who isn't dead distracted you though. Like I said in my fanboy review, even I had it in the back of my mind.

I heard a theory that the snap victims are not quote-unquote "dead" but are locked in the soul stone. It didn't look that way but I don't claim to know how space magic works. I didn't even finish my bachelor's degree in it.
  • 6

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Snowflame
User avatar
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Take a wild guess
Show rep
Title: Anna And The Halfpocalypse

Re: Nerdgasm 3: gasm harder

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 am

Finally gotten around to seeing this movie. Just, ........damn.
  • 1

"Schmibby Dibby Kabibby"- Alex Hirsch

"When in doubt, meow it out!"- Bex Taylor-Klaus
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12189
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Saviour of Saga


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KleinerKiller and 1 guest