Marvel's Runaways

What have you been watching?

Marvel's Runaways

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 pm

So, the MCU adaptation of Runaways,a comic about a group of childhood friends who run away together after finding out their parents are supervillains came out a few days ago on Hulu. I kind of have mixed feelings about the show. 3 episodes out by now and it's still kind of meandering, mostly because their parents are getting a bit more focused, and they haven't even ran away yet. They are pretty decent characters in their own right, however. Especially notable is Ryan Sands's performance as Geoffrey Wilder. Gerta's politics have been updated 14 years, so she gets pretty annoying at times.Karolina Dean's parents have been changed from Alien actors to a has-been child star and the leader of what is essentially Marvel's answer to Scientology. The way seem to be handling her sexuality is kind of hit and miss it's a bit too blended into her rebellious streak at times, leading to some unfortunate implications. Hopefully it will improve when the runways actually run away and move in together. And seeing as Marvel bought the rights to the Skrulls for the Captain Marvel movie, hopefully they'll be introduced in this series through Xavin, Karolina's genderfluid love interest. They make a cute couple. So it has potential, but some characters are a bit off and the pacing treads a bit too slowly. We'll just have to see where it goes.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Marvel's Runaways

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:11 am

Spoiler: show
At this point, most of the dialogue is unbearably cheesy, most of the kids suck, most of the villains are tired cliches no matter how hard the show tries to humanize them and make them interesting, and all of the melodrama and big moments feel rushed and unearned. And they're doing the "artificial earthquake" storyline straight after Defenders, which already felt like retreading Arrow.

But I would forgive most of this if it wasn't one episode away from the finale and the kids had actually RUN AWAY yet. This isn't like Preacher lagging in Anneville a bit, since there were at least interesting things to do there by expanding the setup -- the core premise of Runaways has gotten thrown out in favor of weird angsty home melodrama and TWD-esque standing around, and I'm genuinely unsure whether they're just holding it back for the first season cliffhanger for them to run away (at a bizarre point for that to happen) or if they've just decided to completely do away with that aspect and graft an existing property onto their original story for brand recognition.

I wanted to like the show, but it's gotten itself right there with Iron Fist and Inhumans for me.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Marvel's Runaways

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 am

I feel like Chase after
Spoiler: show
they killed off Gert and Old Lace
. Just, fuck you, Hulu!

Deathclaw_Puncher