Ozark (The Netflix Original)

What have you been watching?

Ozark (The Netflix Original)

Postby JamishT » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm

I just finished the last episode of the Netflix original, Ozark. Here's my non-spoilery thoughts.

Before watching, I heard the show described as Netflix's Breaking Bad, and the description on Netflix confirmed that it is basically a normal guy getting involved in the criminal/drug world. This is not a comedy, nor does it pull any punches. Breaking Bad had lines it could not cross (due to television and the FCC) that Ozark pole vaults over. Like Breaking Bad, you will find yourself rooting for an anti-hero, but, unlike BB, you will be completely and absolutely rooting against the FBI.

It doesn't include Tarantino levels of, um, language, but it will hurt fragile ears. Also, a strip club is a setting for at least one story arch, and I would call some of those scenes gratuitous. Violence and gore? Again, not quite Tarantino levels, but it gets very close. When the story takes dark turns, it gets DARK.

Jason Bateman provides more evidence for my theory that comedic actors thrive in anti-hero/villain roles. He is surrounded by a stellar cast who embody detailed characters incredibly well.

It's not perfect, however. My main gripe is with the color grading. Yes, it is a dark story with lots of shadowy figures and death and stuff, but that doesn't mean it has to be literally dark all the time. Some vivid colors, and accurately bright sunny days would be appreciated. Also, I realize that working in the crime world means using your library voice a lot, but I shouldn't need to turn captions on so I don't miss important details.

Has anyone else been watching this?

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Re: Ozark (The Netflix Original)

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Does anyone ride anyone else like a little pig? 'Cause if not then this is not the Ozarks I grew up with.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:08 am

This show does not let up. It's certainly wannabe Breaking Bad but ends up closer to Fargo, if not in theme than in plot, with intelligent criminals pitted up against reckless amateurs or seasoned pros with a ton of collateral damage. There's very few, if any, characters I like (personally that is, as vehicles the characters are great and intriguing/infuriating), but it doesn't make it any less interesting to see it unfold.

The town of Ozark takes a little getting used to, what with practically every resident being crooks in one form or another, but it's a lot more believable here than in Bates Motel where from memory, there was a public lynching in the town square in the second episode (that show eventually steered away from that, probably realising Norman feels more threatening in an ordinarily quiet town than an Everything is Psycho village). Ruth probably had my favourite arc, and it could easily be reversed at the drop of a hat.

And yeah, Ozark doesn't even try to paint law enforcement in a positive light. Weird stance to take, but I guess all cops are the useless villains of their own story? That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for 'em.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 am

So thanks to you Jamish I've been watching this. One thing that struck me: I haven't been to Lake Ozark but have driven through Arkansas, which I figure is pretty close, and the setting actually looks like Arkansas. It was shot in Georgia, apparently, but that's still a far cry from shooting eastern Kentucky in Southern California. I mean, I love Justified, but I'm glad I watched it before I actually saw the Appalachians because I would never have been able to suspend disbelief if I'd watched it afterwards.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player