Shows Where You're A Fan of A Character But Not The Show

What have you been watching?

Shows Where You're A Fan of A Character But Not The Show

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 am

So, I recently heard of this show called Loud House, an a/b vignette style cartoon about a kid who's the middle child and the only son in a set of 11 kids. So, anyway, I checked it out because there was supposedly an instance of "the Korrasami effect" coming into play which goes a bit further in that, in the episode "L is for Love", it actually shows the character Luna Loud, a punk rocker who's constantly referencing rock songs in her dialogue and speaks with a mock-British accent, crushing on another girl, establishing her as bisexual (She apparently had a crush on her brother Lincoln's math tutor in a previous episode).
Spoiler: show
phpBB [video]

So, anyway I checked out the episode and the vignette before it,and the show is...alright I guess. The humor is pretty good at times, and there's another character who's like a four year old mad scientist named Lucy, but it's not exactly a cartoon that's in the same vein as Gravity Falls, STVFOE, Legend of Korra, etc. in that it appears to actually be meant to have a TV-Y7 rating, which is all well and good considering its milestone, but.....yeah.

So, yeah, Luna and Lucy are pretty cool characters, and half my browser window is filled with Saluna fanfiction, but the show itself I can't exactly see myself watching anytime soon.

Anyone else ever have this kind of experience with a TV show?

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Shows Where You're A Fan of A Character But Not The Show

Postby JamishT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 am

This makes me think of Bones. At first, I enjoyed the show overall, but soon became bored with the unrealistic aspects and various continuity issues. However, I still enjoyed most of the characters enough to keep watching until the end. Dr. Brennan did make it difficult at times though...

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:34 pm

There's a bunch of shows that I never actually watched, but would sort of keep tabs on a specific character and watch solely their scenes just because they were interesting to me.

The biggest one I can think of off-hand was Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire. Never watched the show, but I did keep track of how he was doing and his scenes because I liked the character the actor playing him.

Also he was badass.

Image Image

I also did the same for Bates Motel because I liked the general idea of horror movies being adapted as series (see: my Hannibal obsession) but just never really sat down and binged it all.

In terms of shows I didn't actually like but still watched and enjoyed one particular character: The Following. God, that series was a stupid, ugly shit show. But man, if James Purefoy isn't a charming, talented sonofabitch who played the hell out of the main villain.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 pm

With every successive season since the third, Orphan Black has gradually qualified for this more and more. I used to be in love with it, but the plotting has gotten so needlessly byzantine and nonsensical that it's made all of the stakes weightless and I can now barely bother to watch it as it wraps up its final season. Yet Tatiana Maslany has always been dazzling as the various clones in the core cast, and her performances are what's kept everything afloat for me -- if it were anyone else in the roles, I would have dropped it long ago.

reallifegirl wrote:In terms of shows I didn't actually like but still watched and enjoyed one particular character: The Following. God, that series was a stupid, ugly shit show. But man, if James Purefoy isn't a charming, talented sonofabitch who played the hell out of the main villain.

God, yes. Purefoy was enough to single-handedly keep me watching for all three seasons, and the moment I realized everything I thought I enjoyed about the show was really just his magnetic smarm dripping over everything was freeing. The fact that he's most prominent and extravagant in the first season helps that season alone be a lot of pleasant, pulpy, stupid fun on rewatch.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:God, yes. Purefoy was enough to single-handedly keep me watching for all three seasons, and the moment I realized everything I thought I enjoyed about the show was really just his magnetic smarm dripping over everything was freeing. The fact that he's most prominent and extravagant in the first season helps that season alone be a lot of pleasant, pulpy, stupid fun on rewatch.

Agreed, and it's also why Season 3 really fell apart all over the place, because they no longer had his charisma holding the main cast together (though it was weirdly, sickeningly delightful when we got to see him chipperly chastise Kevin Bacon in prison). I still cannot, for the life of me, understand why they chose to:

Spoiler: show
actually kill off Carroll via capital punishment when everyone wanted him to just break out or something.
And then turn him into Kevin Bacon's homoerotic ghost BFF.

ImageImage
ImageImage

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Absentia » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm

*Puts on flameproof suit*

Come at me.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator