So non-Dune Frank Herbert.

Books Matter.

So non-Dune Frank Herbert.

Postby tinyrick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 am

I haven't started reading this book yet, cause I'm trying to finish another novel first. But I recently checked out "Hellstrom's Hive" from the library making it the first book from Frank Herbert I'll read that's not part of the Dune series.

Anyone else delve into non-Dune Frank Herbert? He's an accomplished sci-fi writer that just happens to be known for that one thing.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: So non-Dune Frank Herbert.

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:02 pm

I haven't even read Dune, well not beyond about a hundred pages. I just found it impossible to get into.

On the other hand, I somewhat like GRRM as a writer based entirely on the strength of non-ASOIAF work.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Marcuse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:24 pm

CMSellers wrote:On the other hand, I somewhat like GRRM as a writer based entirely on the strength of non-ASOIAF work.

To be perfectly honest, I find GRRM's non-ASOIAF work somewhat more interesting. I think it's mainly down to two things, firstly that that material was written earlier so the ideas he had weren't quite so "warmed over" as they are in Ice and Fire, and secondly that he seems so much more enthusiastic about his non-ASOIAF work and it shows in his writing. Look at his grouchily titled "not a blog", and count how many posts are gushing about the Wild Cards series, and how many of his Ice and Fire posts (of which there are few) are sarcastic and chafe at the popularity of the series. I think he simply doesn't like that series very much, and would vastly prefer people enjoy his SF work, but continues to plug it for the money.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:02 am

I think you're right. He's basically Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with Sherlock Holmes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:55 am

I like this guy, Alistair Reynolds. He has two series I've never read. So I mostly know this guy from his non-series work. Revelation Space and Poseidon's Children. I have read three of his stand-alones and they are amazing. Century Rain, Terminal World, and House of Suns. House of Suns is one of the best books ever. Put it on your reading list. Brief synopsis: Reynold's abides by the universal speed limit of light. So traveling space means you have to be ok with everyone you know dying cause space travel means you don't age, but everyone else ages. A few people decide to clone themselves a lot and send their clones off into space and gather every few years to discuss their experiences. One of these groups of clones is being targeted for assassination and they're trying to figure out why.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:04 pm

If you like Alastair Reynolds, you should check out "Turquoise Days."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Fri May 05, 2017 11:11 am

Ok. So I finished the book I was reading and got started on Hellstrom's Hive. I'm about 1/3 of the way in. I can see that the genetic engineering and eugenics breeding programs were an early interest of Herbert long before the Dune series. The Hellstrom in the book's title is a famous ecologist who's obsessed with insects that makes documentary films. The current government is a police state in which people don't really know it's a police state cause shadow government agencies and such.

One agency, which is simply known as The Agency, has sent someone to spy on Hellstrom's farm in Oregon and gets captured. Hellstrom is involved in a three centuries old experiment, starting in the late 19th century, to try to make humans more like insects and form a hive consciousness. They intend to remain hidden until the time is right until they swarm humanity. So think of the Borg from Star Trek, but instead of cybernetics, imagine them being a product developed by Monsanto.

If you're looking for a classic mad scientist story, it's a good read.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep