Captain America #1

Books Matter.

Captain America #1

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 25, 2016 9:36 pm

http://geek.cheezburger.com/share/8799803392
So, Cap is a Neo-Nazi now.
The character that required Joe Simon's and Jack Kirby's studio to be protected by armed guards on the mayor's orders because he was shield bashing Hitler in 1940 is now a Nazi himself.

Fuck you, Marvel.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Captain America #1

Postby gisambards » Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 pm

I really don't see what's quite so terrible about this. I don't know how well they pull it off, as I haven't read the comic, but on paper I don't see what's quite so terrible about a longstanding good guy becoming a bad guy. They're trying something new - it's common to have good guys become bad, often without meaning to, but it's never been done where a major good guy turns out to have been willfully a bad guy for some time without even the audience knowing. And besides, it's probably going to be retconned at some point anyway. I'm really not sure why it's something to get angry about.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:09 pm

I haven't read much of Captain America, but I'm certain that throughout his career, he did so much good and foiled so many evil plots that such a revelation makes precisely zero sense. I'm also pretty sure that his innermost thoughts were depicted many times over the decades and shown him to be a genuinely good person.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Wed May 25, 2016 10:21 pm

You know, I want to give this thing a fair shake and read it, but my first impression is that it's a really stupid gimmick. Yeah, people switch sides sometimes, and that's all well and good, so long as it doesn't come off as gimmicky. And given what Cap is supposed to stand for, it makes this feel especially gimmicky. (Plus like Aquila said, I'm fairly certain that comics have established Cap as genuinely good over the years). It'll probably be handwaved away at some point as the Red Skull brainwashing him, or he's actually going undercover in Hydra by pretending to be undercover as Cap, or just retconned with no real mention of it, and that's the biggest problem. As much as I enjoy comics, it gets frustrating when you can't enjoy a comic because it'll probably just get retconned or handwaved away, and not doing either is probably worse in this case.

I'll hold off judgement until the arc is complete and I've had the chance to read it, but it doesn't sound promising.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Malfeasinator » Fri May 27, 2016 6:24 am

I don't honestly see how he could have been working for them the whole time.

The only thing I can think of is if he somehow has been working to be the leader of Hydra, so he could use the power and infrastructure that's already in place to actually do some good in the world. If, in the comics, he's been involved with them for 75 years, then it's probably time that he's the big boss man. He could just force a "pivot" in the Hydra organization and boom, they could be, at the very least, some kind of "getting shit done" force of righteousness. Maybe he's had the long game in mind.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri May 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Askias » Sat May 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Captain America’s main creators (Joe Simon and Jack Kirby) were both Jewish, and Cap was conceived as an anti-nazi symbol. There’s a reason he’s punching Hitler in the face on the cover of issue one.

My guess is alternate universe. It's been specified it's not mind control, it's ''really Steve Rogers'', but AU would get around that requirement. My best guess is that it's an ''alternate path'' for Steve Rogers which they're trying to hype by implying it's the real deal.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 am

It's like half a year late, but since nobody posted about it here, I randomly decided to see if they answered it yet, and found this.

Spoiler: show
It was a convoluted magic Red Skull brainwashing plot all alooooooong! Even though "false memory implanting" is just a stone's throw from the "mind control" they swore it wasn't!

Ah, fuckin' Western superhero comics. Never change, or I might start caring.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:00 am

So, uh...., Secret Wars is out, and, uh...,that bit about the Red Skull using that cube thing? That was retconned. Cap is now a Nazi experiment that was brainwashed by the allies. They're doubling down on the Nazi thing. And now, he's a Nazi again. So, anyway, here is Nazi Captain America wielding Thor's hammer. He is worthy. A Nazi is worthy of wielding the power of Thor.
Spoiler: show

Fuck you, Marvel!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:27 am

Again, I think this is dumb because it will inevitably be unwritten just like everything else in superhero comics; I'm not opposed to it socially, like many, many outraged critics are. I am not at all fucking okay with the narrative that a story should be bashed because it makes people sad or it's "not what we need right now" -- the symbol of Americana being taken over by Nazis should be more relevant than ever, and he's clearly painted as the villain of this scenario (questionable thing about Thor's hammer aside). Marvel is not advocating Nazism.

By most accounts, it's actually fairly well-written and the writer is doing more interesting things with it. I just won't read it because I can't get into something that can't matter because it always has to go back to the status quo eventually.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute