The Eighth Harry Potter Story

Books Matter.

Re: The Eighth Harry Potter Story

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Has anyone else finished reading it? I burned through it in 15 hours yesterday, my thoughts are below.

Spoiler: show
A lot of people are saying it's basically fanfiction. These people are not wrong. While there was stuff I enjoyed, it came across as a string of disjointed fan-pleasing setpieces instead of a solid story. Some of it is good, but a lot of it is really there to pander to its audience (SO MANY CAMEOS) and the whole plot is all over the place.

Like, maybe this plays out better when it's actually on stage, but I admit I'm kind of eh on the whole thing. It's fine. Not good, not bad, just fine.

Other thoughts:

1) Incredbly pedantic nitpick: JAMES AND LILY WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN HARRY OUT INTO GODRIC'S HOLLOW THE DAY BEFORE THEY DIED. They were in hiding, the house was under Fidelius Charm, Pettigrew was the Secret Keeper because Voldemort was looking for them. THE ENTIRE THIRD BOOK WAS ABOUT THIS, ROWLING.

2) The entire Harry Potter series and half of this play: "Poor Cedric, what an innocent, good person to be martyred so thoughtlessly." The back half of this play: "That guy was literally one bad afternoon away from being a murderous wizard Nazi."

3) This may the most I have ever liked Ron. In the books, he was eh to me, but this time he is a bright shining comic relief and the only consistently funny one. God bless you, Ron.

4) Is anyone else severely disturbed by Albus making out with his aunt REPEATEDLY???

5) "Snape, we need to bring you back to another timeline...but sadly you'll die." "Eh. *shoulder shrug*"

6) Albus/Scorpio for life, I don't care that they're barely pubescent and supposedly like girls. Don't they say "I would love to spend eternity in a hole with you" or something?

7) I admit that the Delphine twist totally caught me by surprise.

8) I like that they really played up how destined Ron and Hermione are for each other while not doing anything similar for Harry and Ginny. Because literally no one wanted Harry to wind up with Ginny.

9) Scorpius is the Harry Potter character I think I feel most, personality-wise. A *lot* of nerdy kids thought they were like Hermione, but I never did because she's way too confident. Scorpius is a nerd but awkward about it AND I LOVE HIM FOR IT.

10) Harry Potter is an awful, awful parent.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Re: The Eighth Harry Potter Story

Postby DashaBlade » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:52 am

I just downloaded the ebook today, and I'm still in Act One so...

Spoiler: show
Yes, it does read very fan-ficcy to me. Hell, the opening scene, even though it's identical to the epilogue in Deathly Hallows, rings untrue. Maybe it'd be different on stage, but I'm just not feeling like I give any fucks for the characters at all. I kind of hope everyone dies at the end, though I doubt that'll happen.

More snarks once I get further than Scene Nine.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Previous