What Are You Currently Reading?

Books Matter.

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 am

Less than a week ago, I wrote:Even though I haven't finished the two books I started months ago, I decided to read The Martian.

I started on Tuesday and I'm already more than halfway through. It's pretty close to what I remember from the movie.

I finished The Martian and The Brain's Way of Healing (which I started much earlier), and I'm almost halfway through the other book I started a long time ago. Then I'll have only *flips through piles* 22 more books here to get through before I'll need to buy more. I'm thinking of reading some of the shortest ones first.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Last edited by DoglovingJim on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:57 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Ah, well I finished that book on the Hungarian revolution by Michael Korda and now I'm re-reading Lee Child's Killing Floor.

I finished Lee Child's Killing Floor, decided to read the sequel Die Trying and finished that and now I am reading One Shot which is the book that the first Jack Reacher film is based on.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:30 pm

And now I finished One Shot and if boxer-dog-lady doesn't have any book suggestions than I'd read From Russia With Love.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:36 am

Shipwreck, by Warren Ellis
Mother Panic, By Jody Houser
Shade, The Changing Girl, by Cecil Castelucci
Alters, by Paul Jenkins and Leila Leiz

I'm kind of on an indie comic kick atm.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 am

I still haven't finished one book that I started a while ago, but I got a few more (I'm up to around 30 unread books now), and I've started reading Sex on the Brain, by Deborah Blum. It's about biological differences between men and women's brains and behaviors, and how much of that is affected by nature vs. nurture (or at least what was known of it back in the late '90s when the book was published, something I didn't realize until I bought it).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 pm

I finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett a few weeks ago, and I'll be finishing up the sequel World Without End in the next day or two. Great books, both about the politics surrounding various characters in the fictional medieval English town of Kingsbridge. Lots of fun to be had.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 pm

I love those books.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 am

Then you may be pleased to learn, if you don't know already, that he's closing out the series with a third book due out this autumn, set in the mid-late 1500's. I imagine I'll blow through it too fast and then be sad afterwards.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm reading The Martian. I've seen the film (and greatly enjoyed it) but I'm really loving the book. I think this particular concept worked great in film but particularly well on the page, with the log entry format, and the explanations of what's going on and how and why (which I very much enjoy).

Only problem is, I've nearly finished it and I don't want it to be over.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 pm

I've been meaning to read The Martian for a long time, but keep forgetting about it. I've added to my Audible list now. How do you think the format would work with audiobooks, Carrie?

Personally, I've just started In the Shadow of the Sword: The Birth of Islam and the Rise of the Global Arab Empire, by Tom Holland. If you're interested in history, and like a good story, I really can't recommend Tom Holland enough. Not only does he know a huge amount, and put things in very good context, but he's also an excellent storyteller. His books are technically history books, but they read almost like history stories. Very informative, and extremely entertaining.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:How do you think the format would work with audiobooks, Carrie?

I think it would work brilliantly with audiobooks.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I finally finished Consciousness and the Brain earlier today. It was really interesting. Now I'm splitting my time between Sex on the Brain (mentioned on the last page) and In God we Trust: All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd (which inspired the movies A Christmas Story and A Summer Story, though it's pretty different from either of them so far).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

So with my power being out for multiple days, I finally got around to reading a book my wife recommended, "How I Became a Famous Novelist" by Steve Hely.

Ever heard the phrase "Living Well is the Best Revenge"? Well, this book is about a guy who decides to take this to the extreme. When he finds out his college girlfriend is getting married, he decides to write a best-selling novel in order to show her up at her wedding.

Now, he doesn't want to write a "good" book, because that's no guarantee it will sell. He analyzes a bunch of best-selling novels and packs as much stuff that people like into it (a murder, tornadoes, WWII, road trips, etc.).

It's really funny, and the book really pokes fun of authors like James Patterson, John Grisham, Nora Roberts, Tom Clancy, etc. (not by name, he has fictional authors that are very similar).

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 am

The Bible, of all things. More for academic purposes than anything else, but if I happen to find particular passages meaningful or beautiful along the way, I wouldn't scoff at them.

I haven't made it out of Leviticus yet. I learned that we're not allowed to eat Thanksgiving leftovers! :lol:

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext