What Are You Currently Reading?

Books Matter.

What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby AJBulldis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 pm

A friend of mine lent me The Postmortal, which is a scifi novel taking place in the future where a cure for aging is discovered. It's written in journal form from the perspective of a dude, and aside from being a great read it's also a great look at the long term consequences of eliminating aging and its effects on individuals and society. I think any Cracked fan would appreciate it.

AJBulldis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby QuincyMorris » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I picked up and read a terrible kids book the other day, haha. 'Midnight for Charlie Bone.' It's weird how I still enjoyed myself.

I left my copy of the Dark Tower III in my basement, and have not seen fit to pick it up again. I haven't really read it since I went on vacation. It's a very strange series, and some of the plot developments are questionable, but I'm having fun with it.

QuincyMorris
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NisiOptimum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

I remember reading Midnight for Charlie Bone when I was a kid. It was one of those semi-rip offs that came out in the wake of Harry Potter. Still a very good read though. I always thought the uncle with the power to break glass was badass,

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Just finished reading 'The Twelve' which is a sequel to 'The Passage.' Vampire novels that are meant to be scary and are actually good.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Ganymede314 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm currently re-reading the glorious science fiction of Peter F Hamilton, starting with his book "Pandoras star". Seriously, if you enjoy sci-fi I highly recommend this writer, the stories are amazing, I can't do them justice with my words, but it is certainly some of the best sci-fi I have read.

"The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us -- there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries."
-Carl Sagan
Ganymede314
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Space Face

Postby Robert » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:27 pm

I have just finished 1000 Years of Annoying the French by Stephen Clarke. It's a hilarious recap of French-English history.
Spoiler: show
There were lot of wars between them.

Robert
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Eternauta » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm

I just finished Eco's Prague's Cemetery, it was fun. On the other hand, I'm stuck towards the end of Pynchon's V and kinda afraid to pick it up again. Gotta man up, finish it and tackle Gravity's Rainbow... if only I had the time and energy of my student times!

"Will... penis... cure my... issues?" - JamesT
Eternauta
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby ToixStory » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Just finished up the fantastic Rendezvous at Rama and about to pick up The Handmaid's Tale after a friend recommended it to me. Hope it's pretty good.

I make maps and map accessories.
ToixStory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 pm

I finished reading John Dies at the End a couple of weeks ago and am currently working my way through JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. I kind of wish I'd been there when she'd pitched it to her editor.

"I know that all of my previous books were about magic, fighting, time travel, mystical creatures, and had characters getting murdered by the boatload. For my next book, I want to write 500 pages about people in a tiny village squabbling over local government laws and parish council positions."

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby HarpingCarp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm just starting my copy of "The Outsider" by Albert Camus. Any one here a Camus fan?

Kate threatened me to take it down. I need an adult.

Spoiler: show
<Kateness> Carp
<Kateness> Change your damn sig.
<Kateness> Hate Week's over
<Kateness> I swear to God I'll start editing links to your indiscretion with a pirate, in everything.
HarpingCarp
In The Soul Stone
In The Soul Stone

Show rep
Title: The Carpfather

Postby AJBulldis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 pm

HarpingCarp wrote:I'm just starting my copy of "The Outsider" by Albert Camus. Any one here a Camus fan?

I read The Stranger in High School (are they the same book with a different translation of the title?). Not sure if I could call myself a fan, though, as I've only read that one book and didn't find it especially compelling.

Moo
AJBulldis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Eternauta » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 pm

HarpingCarp wrote:I'm just starting my copy of "The Outsider" by Albert Camus. Any one here a Camus fan?

I read The Plague recently, I can highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet.

"Will... penis... cure my... issues?" - JamesT
Eternauta
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby QuincyMorris » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Ooooooh, I loved the Casual Vacancy! It's much different then Harry Potter, but it is the good kind of different.

"Mr. Potter... Our new Celebrity."
QuincyMorris
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Dottoe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm re-reading John Dies at the End, but that's more of a constant state of existence. Trying to plow through Left Behind, but I keep getting disgusted with it and putting it back down. Also have The Book Thief going, starting The Stand again, re-reading Horns in honor of the movie, and going through my backlog of Fear Mythos blogs, especially DJay's OH GOD! THE RAPTURE IS BURNING and, though unrelated, re-reading all of the Ichor Falls stuff.

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:16 pm

QuincyMorris wrote:Ooooooh, I loved the Casual Vacancy! It's much different then Harry Potter, but it is the good kind of different.

I'm enjoying it, too, though it's a little difficult to keep track of who everyone is and what all of their relationships are. As I understand it (possibly?), shit gets real for everyone soon, so I'm eager to see where this is headed.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Next