Warhammer Entry Point

Books Matter.

Warhammer Entry Point

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:56 pm

So, unlike Bert's mom, the Warhammer universe seems impenetrable and is both a medieval fantasy ande space opera, somehow? Since I'm dedicating myself to more reading, I'd like to sprinkle some less serious stuff in with the serious stuff. So where is the start of this universe?

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Warhammer Entry Point

Postby Marcuse » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Oh oh. I know this one.

There's two kinds of Warhammer, Warhammer Fantasy (recently rebranded as Age of Sigmar) and Warhammer 40,000 (or 40k).

Both universes are broadly similar, in that they have the majority of similar tropes included: orc/ks, elves/eldar, dwarfs/squats, human empire/Imperium. They're different in that WF is all magic and shit, set in the "Old World" with lizardmen and rat people and stuff, whereas 40k is set in the grimdarkness of the far future where there is only wuah.

I will say that I don't have much experience with WF writing, but the Malus Darkblade and Gotrek and Felix series have been mainstay highlight series in the past.

Lots of people like to recommend the Ciaphas Cain books as a starting point for getting into 40k writing. Personally I don't, mainly because they rely a lot on in-jokes that require knowledge of the universe to get what the hell is going on and why it's funny.

If you want something about the Imperial Guard, I'd strongly recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series. It's about normal people in a weird insane universe trying to survive in the Emperor's service. It's relateable and readable, and introduces concepts from the ground up, largely because Dan Abnett was inventing some of them as he went along. Also check out Fifteen Hours for a short self-contained story with Orks in it.

If you want something about everyday life in the Imperium, I would recommend the Eisenhorn trilogy to start with, but would even more strongly recommend the subsequent Ravenor trilogy of books. That's all space detectives with dark magic and psyker powers thrown in.

If you wanna get up with the Spess Mehrens, then there's a few series that're good. The Grey Knights series, the Ultramarines series is surprisingly good and the Soul Drinkers series is awesome. For the Choas boyz, try the Word Bearers series, the Iron Warriors series (which kind of ties into the Ultramarines one, but not so much that you have to read this before that), or I would especially recommend the Night Lords series.

There are also series on Eldar called Path of the Eldar, and I believe also a Dark Eldar series too. If you're...into that sort of thing...

There is also a completely separate series based on the Horus Heresy which I would recommend to leave until you're more familiar with the lore. It's like a huge enormous prequel series that doesn't entirely suck.

While it might seem strange, the Youtube video series If the Emperor had a text-to-speech device actually does a lot to lore-dump the universe of 40k in amongst the weird jokes.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep