Legend of Korra: Turf Wars

Books Matter.

Legend of Korra: Turf Wars

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 pm

So, part one of the comic continuation of The Legend of Korra got widely released today, and it's okay, I guess. The Amazon previews were essentially the meat of the story so far (though fortunately, it's not all entirely a glurgy tumblr-fest as
Spoiler: show
Korra's parent insist that they stay in the closet despite their support due to Water Tribe social norms, so there's some actual conflict on that front
), and there is some focus on the aftermath of Book Four and the restoration of Republic City, but not much focus on the villains. Tokuga is still pretty cool though,
Spoiler: show
especially after angry spirits transform him into a creepy reptilian hybrid with a literal snake arm
. Also, Donald Trump is a villain in this comic. Well, technically his name is Wonyeong Keum, but he's for all intents and purposes Donald Trump. So, basically, the comic does live up to the hype and everything, and there's more to the Korrasami element than Amazon let on, but the lack of content villain-wise is a bit of an issue, especially since the story is to be divided into three 75 page parts. So, I'd say it's about a 7/10, but, again, it's only part one.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Legend of Korra: Turf Wars

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm

So I haven't read Turf Wars (yet, at least), but I have issues with their whole romance.

First, it felt kind of forced at the end of the show. They were friends, but they never gave any kind of interest in each other. It came out of nowhere.

The show basically did it really casually, as if to say, "This is perfectly normal and natural. We're not even going to really draw attention to it."

The problem with this is that it makes it seem like same-sex attraction is no big deal in the world of Avatar, either. They don't grapple with their sexuality or have an epiphany that they are attracted to someone of the same sex, so it comes off as if it's very common in that world and is nothing to remark upon.

That seems to conflict with what's apparently in Turf Wars.

I'm not against their romance, per se, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere and seemed forced.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

It did not come out of nowhere. They've been piling on the subtext since episode one of Book three. It was planned since Book two, but Standards and Practices is a bitch. Even after "the Korrasami effect" became a thing with shows like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Star vs. The Forces of Evil, and The Loud House depicting same-sex couples and/or openly LGBT characters, they still can't kiss each other on the lips unless they're just a background character or refer to their partner as their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife in TV-Y7 rated animation, which is just stupid because after shows like The Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Gumball, Korra, and SVTFOE, that rating is essentially meaningless, anyway. So, all they could do is subtext in a way only LGBT people or yuri fans were more likely to get.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:It did not come out of nowhere. They've been piling on the subtext since episode one of Book three.

I didn't read through all of them, but those all seem to be normal things that hetero women friends would do. It's all like, "Asami compliments Korra. Korra is about to be killed and Asami is worried. Korra thanks Asami for saving her life."

I mean, I understand being subtle, but there is such a thing as being too subtle.

EDIT: I wrote this before you added more information to your post. I get that they had to be subtle, but it still seems to come out of nowhere.

Also, it's done so casually that it doesn't seem to jive with it being controversial to the Water Tribe.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind