What Are You Currently Reading?

Books Matter.

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:How do you think the format would work with audiobooks, Carrie?

I think it would work brilliantly with audiobooks.

Sunny wrote:The GMs are too full of integrity.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I finally finished Consciousness and the Brain earlier today. It was really interesting. Now I'm splitting my time between Sex on the Brain (mentioned on the last page) and In God we Trust: All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd (which inspired the movies A Christmas Story and A Summer Story, though it's pretty different from either of them so far).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

So with my power being out for multiple days, I finally got around to reading a book my wife recommended, "How I Became a Famous Novelist" by Steve Hely.

Ever heard the phrase "Living Well is the Best Revenge"? Well, this book is about a guy who decides to take this to the extreme. When he finds out his college girlfriend is getting married, he decides to write a best-selling novel in order to show her up at her wedding.

Now, he doesn't want to write a "good" book, because that's no guarantee it will sell. He analyzes a bunch of best-selling novels and packs as much stuff that people like into it (a murder, tornadoes, WWII, road trips, etc.).

It's really funny, and the book really pokes fun of authors like James Patterson, John Grisham, Nora Roberts, Tom Clancy, etc. (not by name, he has fictional authors that are very similar).

IamNotCreepy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: I'm not...

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 am

The Bible, of all things. More for academic purposes than anything else, but if I happen to find particular passages meaningful or beautiful along the way, I wouldn't scoff at them.

I haven't made it out of Leviticus yet. I learned that we're not allowed to eat Thanksgiving leftovers! :lol:

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:46 pm

LunarTeaHouse wrote:The Bible, of all things. More for academic purposes than anything else, but if I happen to find particular passages meaningful or beautiful along the way, I wouldn't scoff at them.

I haven't made it out of Leviticus yet. I learned that we're not allowed to eat Thanksgiving leftovers! :lol:

I've always meant to read the Bible for academic purposes. Religion is fascinating to me, and I like seeing how the myths and ideas evolve. I'd also like to read the Qur'an and the Torah, but then I'd also have to read all the additional fan fiction that goes with them, and I wouldn't know where to start. Also, some Hindu stuff about many armed cow gods would be fun!

Personally, I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo, at the moment. I've only read a few Dumas novels, but I've loved them all, and this one is no exception. It may be my favorite one yet.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 am

The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book of all time!!! I absolutely love that one! God I love French lit. I also really love Verne and Hugo. I've always felt like American Lit is mostly about frontier exploration or revolutionary/civil war stories that don't really interest me as much.

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm reading Borne by Jeff Vandermeer. It's a post-apocalyptic, biopunk setting where the main character finds a strange plant thing that kicks off the plot. It includes a monstrous flying bear, beetles that get you high by shoving them in your ears, and storms that rain red salamanders.

I'm still in the early chapters, but it's a little slow and more focused on character relations, but I feel that it actually works better that way. Of course, that may change as I get deeper into the story.

octoberpumpkin wrote:If you cant handle me at my diddliest you don't deserve me at my doodliest.
FaceTheCitizen
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lord of the House of Faces

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:39 am

Right now I intend to read "The Murder of Sonny Liston" by Shaun Assael.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Previous